Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

IMO cell phone usage while driving is the same as carrying a loaded gun at the ready....to kill someone.

Mississippi cyclist hit twice by driver: Where is the accountability? | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Nothing personal but im going to rant here

"The driver was cited for following too close"

I never agreed that bikes should be ridden on the road in the car lane. Its stupid. If you are doing 10mph in a car lane im going to pass you, and you are lucky not to get a soda can upside your temple. Bikers like that **** me off. Get your little fruity bike helmet and your tight tight speedo pants and move to the side of the road. If you want to ride your bike, go to a park or somewhere that there are not cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
IMO cell phone usage while driving is the same as carrying a loaded gun at the ready....to kill someone.
Really, its the same? So on the other side of the coin we have women who do their mascara or lipstick while driving. Are you saying that a tube of lipstick will stop a burglar in his tracks because its a deadly weapon?

How about the mothers who are driving with 3 kids in the back and shes turned around yelling at them? I guess the kids should be considered guns too.

How about the idiots that ride around with their music bumped up to max. People look at them like they are idiots but not killers.

Im sorry i dont agree with your theory that a cell phone is like a loaded gun.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
There are plenty of distractions that can cause a vehicle accident. Cell phone use is only one.

Other distracting activities include:
  • Using a cell phone (which the OP mentioned)
  • Eating and drinking
  • Talking to passengers
  • Grooming (which you mentioned)
  • Reading, including maps
  • Using a PDA or navigation system
  • Watching a video (who would even do this sort of thing, though?)
  • Changing the radio station, CD, or Mp3 player.
A vehicle becomes a weapon if the driver isn't using common sense, when behind the wheel. Sadly, all who have been the cause of such accidents never believed it would happen to them. Too often, a life is lost because of these accidents and it is rarely the one using the cell phone. IMO, anyone who gets behind the wheel should take the responsibility and privilege to drive seriously.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
This whole situation is unbelievable. When are they going to permanently ban cellphones from cars? I can't believe the woman even lived through it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I personally will not use a cell phone while driving....but most people do and I do disagree with that. I think the posters were also good in pointing out that there are other reasons why a driver is not LOOKING at the road. All of which can cause an accident or death.

More importantly, as skel pointed out, as more people may bike around town, there needs to be bike paths in place or something besides them being IN the road. If they ARE in the road, they need to OBEY the same traffic rules the drivers have to obey, but they don't. They weave in and out of lanes, the pull out from side streets illegally, run stop signs/red lights and all sorts of things that are so ANNOYING until I'm surprised some people don't hit them on purpose.

So, this is a two sided problem which needs to be addressed sooner....rather than later.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Yeah, you have to make room for people to bike safely before anything else can happen. That is a much bigger problem now with so many people getting by without licenses after DUIs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime