Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times

Advertisements

Murder suspect cross examines witnesses

I believe the saying goes anyone who opts to defend themself in court has a fool for a client.....but this another Pinellas jury, so at least he has that going in his favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
He did ask for a change of venue which was denied. He should be happy his chances are good with a Pinellas jury.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
This will end badly.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
FLDS Warren Jeffs released his attorneys yesterday. Today he asked the judge to allow him to represent himself.

Judge Walther took about an hour recess to make a decision. When she returned, she gave him a long list of warnings, telling him why she thought Jeffs representing himself was such a bad idea.

Still, Walther granted Jeffs' request. "The court is not going to recess this trial and give you time to go to law school," she said. "We are going forward today sir. Do you understand?"

Jeffs will be allowed to represent himself on charges he sexually abused two teenage girls. But the Texas judge who granted his request told Jeffs straight out she doesn't think it's a good idea.

He is facing maximum sentence of 119 years to life in prison.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Is it me, or is Florida remarkably willing to let people represent themselves in court compared to other states? Even if they convict he can appeal on the basis of not having had proper representation. The whole thing is stupid.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Is it me, or is Florida remarkably willing to let people represent themselves in court compared to other states? Even if they convict he can appeal on the basis of not having had proper representation. The whole thing is stupid.
I don't think so. In the two cases I've seen the judges were VERY clear that the defendants were making a mistake and taking on a challenge they were not qualified for.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
He lost btw and does plan to appeal. I don't notice a whole lot of going on for capitol felonies, but I don't really seek out the stats either. Perhaps it's testament to how bad the Public Defenders are. They seem to do little more than act as a mediator between the defendant and state, file a few motions, try to get the charge watered down.

I've read many a story about the incarcerated stating their PD didn't do squat for them, hardly objected at trial, wasn't much help at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
This will end badly.
He sexually assaulted two teen age girls. If he's guilty, I don't care how things go for him.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:32 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
He lost btw and does plan to appeal. I don't notice a whole lot of going on for capitol felonies, but I don't really seek out the stats either. Perhaps it's testament to how bad the Public Defenders are. They seem to do little more than act as a mediator between the defendant and state, file a few motions, try to get the charge watered down.

I've read many a story about the incarcerated stating their PD didn't do squat for them, hardly objected at trial, wasn't much help at all.
No, it's a testament to how egotistical some criminals are. They think that they are smarter than the police, investigators and lawyers. If he assaulted two teen age girls, I hope he gets in kind in prison. Idiot.

(Edit, "idiot" goes for the criminal, not Sgt. Buzzcut...thought I'd better clear that up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime