Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

On the first day of jury selection in the child molestation trial of former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, ABC News has learned that Sandusky allegedly wrote "creepy" love letters to his victims, eight of whom are set to testify against him.

Jerry Sandusky's Love Letters to Alleged Victim to Be Revealed - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
If he did what he's been accused of, he needs to go away for life, no parole. Also outrageous is that his actions were known and nothing was done.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Well,the whole story is suposed to come out next week; Sandusky's behavior since the arrest has done nothing to enhance his claim to innocence.

And the judge has (wisely!) insisted upon the accusers establishing their identities in open court; that way, no claims of "star chamber" tactics can be raised later.

But the point still remains: Why was the "Sandusky Scandal" aggrandized into the "Penn State Scandal" at the earliest opportunity by those who had the most to gain by sensationalizing the case? And why was the most inflammatory charge -- the assault in an "open" shower, launched by an accuser who has since kept a very low profile -- rushed to "center stage" by those who know what impresses and sells the most?

In the Court of Public Opinion, Jerry Sandusky has already shifted most of the burden of proof upon himself. But the public has a right to know who was doing their best to lead the charge at the height of the outrage.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Well,the whole story is suposed to come out next week; Sandusky's behavior since the arrest has done nothing to enhance his claim to innocence.

And the judge has (wisely!) insisted upon the accusers establishing their identities in open court; that way, no claims of "star chamber" tactics can be raised later.

But the point still remains: Why was the "Sandusky Scandal" aggrandized into the "Penn State Scandal" at the earliest opportunity by those who had the most to gain by sensationalizing the case? And why was the most inflammatory charge -- the assault in an "open" shower, launched by an accuser who has since kept a very low profile -- rushed to "center stage" by those who know what impresses and sells the most?

In the Court of Public Opinion, Jerry Sandusky has already shifted most of the burden of proof upon himself. But the public has a right to know who was doing their best to lead the charge at the height of the outrage.
It became the Penn State scandal BECAUSE:

1) Joe Pa and the University turned on the accusers PUBLICALLY.
2) University officials at best turned a blind eye to Snaduskys actions, and more likely were at least mildly involved in covering it up.
3) MANY Penn state fans were initially quite converned at losing their bowl bid or scholarships....translation we care about our sports team more than molestation charges.

My revulsion at the scandal remains to be more strongly aimed at the reaction of the school and it's boosters and fans than a mentally ill predator named Sandusky.

Yay, but at least your football team has been succesfull.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:

Because Joe Paterno who was Penn State was apart of the cover up.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It became the Penn State scandal BECAUSE:

1) Joe Pa and the University turned on the accusers PUBLICALLY.
2) University officials at best turned a blind eye to Snaduskys actions, and more likely were at least mildly involved in covering it up.
3) MANY Penn state fans were initially quite converned at losing their bowl bid or scholarships....translation we care about our sports team more than molestation charges.

My revulsion at the scandal remains to be more strongly aimed at the reaction of the school and it's boosters and fans than a mentally ill predator named Sandusky.

Yay, but at least your football team has been succesfull.

If you're willing to take all those accusations at face value.....that's your privelege. I prefer to wait until all the facts are ascertained in a setting where sensationalism is not the driving force.

My point remains, simply, that scrutiny has not been equally applied; a number of those arrested at the disturbance at the time the scandal broke weren't even Penn State students .... just part of that collection of riffraff that always turns up whenever there's a chance to break a few heads.

I'd also like a more precise definition of your charge of "turning on the accusers publicly". It was the lynch mob, with the help of a clique of lawyers driven by financial motives, and the usual over-sensitized, over-sanitized do-gooders with a chip on their shoulders who immediately attempted to sensationalize things by bringing the most revolting accusations to the forefront.

That coalition has held to an agenda from the minute it entered the contoversy; and it requires an examination every bit as thorough as that applied to the other participants in this sordid (and sometimes petty) show.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
If you're willing to take all those accusations at face value.....that's your privelege. I prefer to wait until all the facts are ascertained in a setting where sensationalism is not the driving force.

My point remains, simply, that scrutiny has not been equally applied; a number of those arrested at the disturbance at the time the scandal broke weren't even Penn State students .... just part of that collection of riffraff that always turns up whenever there's a chance to break a few heads.

I'd also like a more precise definition of your charge of "turning on the accusers publicly". It was the lynch mob, with the help of a clique of lawyers driven by financial motives, and the usual over-sensitized, over-sanitized do-gooders with a chip on their shoulders who immediately attempted to sensationalize things by bringing the most revolting accusations to the forefront.

That coalition has held to an agenda from the minute it entered the contoversy; and it requires an examination every bit as thorough as that applied to the other participants in this sordid (and sometimes petty) show.
Paterno publically defended sandusky as teh scandal broke before getting any facts....and attacked his accusers in the media. Amnesia is the best defense though apparantly.

I didn't mention the mob actions, but I find your depiction that it was riffraff and not the students....offensively dishonest.

Basically, you are still handwaving that nothing really happened and it's just a big money-grab conspiracy to be in utter denial of reality.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
as a pennsylvanian all my life--i have seen a continuance of the public in general turn their eyes and heads and IGNORE AND NOT LEGALLY PUNISH CHILD MOLESTERS---i can think of two families in my very small hometown where this occurred--everyone talked about it and not one thing was done--one molested child even took their own life after years of others ignoring the molestation(was left in a suicide note)
there is a tremendous amt of sexually acting out against children in this state with few consequences for the offenders

i hope i am wrong,but i feel this vile man will be aquitted--how can he not be with 8 of the jurors having strong ties to penn state,second mile and or athletics involving that horrendous man

Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
We sure see a lot of people get railroaded, so he deserves a fair trial. He needs to go away for a long time if he's found guilty.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
We sure see a lot of people get railroaded, so he deserves a fair trial. He needs to go away for a long time if he's found guilty.
It is hard to look at the Sandusky situation where he was repeatedly protected and defended by hugely powerful interests as being even remotely "railroaded".

He is being tried despite years of protection from powerful monied interests.

100% agree about a trial of course. However, Penn State fans haven't reciprocated and waited to get the facts. They immediately attacked the accusers. When the scandal touched Joe Pa....they rioted.....

As more information has come out their response, largely because of the football program have become embarassing. College sports is a nauseating cess pool. If Penn State had a losing program they'd have taken much different steps a long time ago....but money rules....not ethics....or class----or concience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime