Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2020, 01:26 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I have no idea what “purdy” means, is that even a word?
My SO worked in corrections for a time. Most inmates just want to serve their time, and not have more time tacked on for assault, exception of lifers with nothing to lose. It is largely a myth that inmates will hurt/kill another inmate for a crime he committed against a woman. He is housed with other violent felons. The idea that hardened criminals have some soft spot for women and children is a largely myth. If anything he’d be a target simply for the notoriety.
It means "pretty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
What is the rule regarding mandatory parole eligibility in California?

I'm curious whether Scott Peterson will be allowed to leave prison under any circumstances, such as serving 30 years in prison.

Could he one day, after 30 years prison and no death penalty, walk out? How old will he be and is pre-trial prison time calculated day for day or 2 days for one as is common in many places?

Laci Peterson was murdered by her husband in her home in 2002 when she was 8 months pregnant. I suppose it's unlikely that Scott will murder again as long as he doesn't get anyone pregnant.

Scott Peterson was born in 1972. He murdered his wife and child at the age for 30. He is now 48 years old and he wants out of prison, but he should not be forgiven his decisions to murder his son and wife.

He's been in guilty for 18 years, in 12 years (2032) he'll be 60 years old and 30 years in prison. Is he eligible for parole at that time?

Last edited by Lieneke; 09-02-2020 at 01:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2020, 08:10 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

I'm curious whether Scott Peterson will be allowed to leave prison under any circumstances, such as serving 30 years in prison.
If Peterson is ever eligible for parole, I would imagine the decision would be denied by the governor, as has been the case numerous times for convicted Manson "Family" murderer Leslie Van Houten.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:

Could he one day, after 30 years prison and no death penalty, walk out? How old will he be and is pre-trial prison time calculated day for day or 2 days for one as is common in many places?

Laci Peterson was murdered by her husband in her home in 2002 when she was 8 months pregnant. I suppose it's unlikely that Scott will murder again as long as he doesn't get anyone pregnant.

Scott Peterson was born in 1972. He murdered his wife and child at the age for 30. He is now 48 years old and he wants out of prison, but he should not be forgiven his decisions to murder his son and wife.

He's been in guilty for 18 years, in 12 years (2032) he'll be 60 years old and 30 years in prison. Is he eligible for parole at that time?
There's no evidence, whatsoever, of that. Location of murder, cause of death, nothing.

All the evidence there is, is that her remains turned up in the very large bay in the area, where he had been fishing the day she disappeared, a common dumping ground for murdered victims.

That's it. En toto.

(I don't know whether he did this or not, but the public has a right to see that murder victims are given justice, and this trial left a LOT to be desired).

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-02-2020 at 08:36 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Fair enough. Laci Peterson was last seen at home by her husband, then she was dead in the ocean. She had no plans to go fishing with her husband, but somehow she ended up exactly where he was fishing.

Maybe she was murdered in her home and maybe in the backyard.

It doesn't really matter where he killed her. I'm curious whether there is law in California that mandates prisoners must be released after a certain number of years, or whether they can in fact spend 70 years in prison.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I'm curious whether there is law in California that mandates prisoners must be released after a certain number of years, or whether they can in fact spend 70 years in prison.
If he isn't retried, his sentence is life in prison. In California, if one is convicted of first degree murder, h/she serves life without parole.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...20aforethought.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Laci Peterson was last seen at home by her husband, then she was dead in the ocean. She had no plans to go fishing with her husband, but somehow she ended up exactly where he was fishing.

Maybe she was murdered in her home and maybe in the backyard.

It doesn't really matter where he killed her. I'm curious whether there is law in California that mandates prisoners must be released after a certain number of years, or whether they can in fact spend 70 years in prison.
No, she didn't.

This is the mantra that's been played out in the media. The bay is HUGE, and her remains washed up with other detritus that entered the bay beneath a bridge no where near where he was fishing.

She did not, in fact, end up "exactly where he went fishing". Just the same enormous bay.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:42 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't think Calif. has executed anyone since 2006. He wouldn't get it anyways. If anyone should get it though, it's him.
I disagree. I always felt he was guilty, but the jury should have sentenced him to life in prison instead of the death penalty.

California has serial killers serving life instead of receiving the death penalty. Peterson killed his pregnant wife. It was a terrible thing that he did, but I still don't him in quite the category that I put serial killers in. The issue that I have with the death penalty in a case like this is that anyone who has been through a marriage understands their are unique frictions and tensions at play. I certainly do not excuse a husband who kills a wife or visa versa. I simply think it generally is a crime that the death penalty should not be imposed for.

While I believe the evidence showed Peterson guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, I also think some overall doubt must be acknowledged in the case. Much of what happened between him and his wife is not known.

Parole is not easy to come by in California for a notorious killer. Just ask Leslie Van Houten one of the Manson killers about that.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, she didn't.

This is the mantra that's been played out in the media. The bay is HUGE, and her remains washed up with other detritus that entered the bay beneath a bridge no where near where he was fishing.

She did not, in fact, end up "exactly where he went fishing". Just the same enormous bay.
Scott was fishing at Brooks Island, so it's close enough for me.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Parole is not easy to come by in California for a notorious killer. Just ask Leslie Van Houten one of the Manson killers about that.
True, and she was an angry, rebellious, probably drug-addled 19-year-old. Peterson does not appear to have any remorse (as Van Houten does, apparently). He comes off as a psychopath.

From the other thread on this sub-forum about this crime:

Scott Peterson: Destined To Kill? - CBS News

Inside Scott Peterson's Mind - CBS News

The Book on Scott Peterson - TIME

CNN.com - Transcripts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime