Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:00 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times

Advertisements

On the opening day of Sandusky’s trial, one of his accusers stepped into public for the first time, taking the witness stand at the Centre County Courthouse and offering several hours of methodically disturbing, often graphic accounts of sexual assaults.

Seven more young guys will be testifying.

I wonder about the jury ... seven women and five men, all white, were picked last week. Eight of them have ties to Penn State, the largest employer in the area of small towns and farms.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/sp...pagewanted=all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,648 times
I would hope that the jurors listen, understand, formulate smart opinions, ask the right questions when they begin their deliberations and arrive at the right verdict, regardless of what company they work for; certainly, with the many reports, articles and op eds about Penn State knowing what was going on, their possible cover-ups and the like, the person on trial, in that courtroom is Sandusky, not Penn State, per se. Penn State has already, in my opinion, been on trial during all of these months, certainly has been found guilty in the eyes of the community and country which, hopefully, will mean that Penn State will not get thrown into the mix during the trial and the deliberations -- and the attention will focus on Sandusky.

Certainly there are others who, because they did not come forward and/or helped to cover up that are, in my opinion and in some way, culpable too -- undoubtedly, there may have been fewer victims if those people had come forward -- perhaps a civil suit, down the road -- but this case is about Sandusky and those kids, the victims.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
On the opening day of Sandusky’s trial, one of his accusers stepped into public for the first time, taking the witness stand at the Centre County Courthouse and offering several hours of methodically disturbing, often graphic accounts of sexual assaults.

Seven more young guys will be testifying.

I wonder about the jury ... seven women and five men, all white, were picked last week. Eight of them have ties to Penn State, the largest employer in the area of small towns and farms.
Kind of like picking NINE black women to serve on the OJ Simpson trial. Our justice system itself is so corrupt...civilly harsh and criminally lenient.

I understand that the victims can't have anonymity during this process. Their names will be revealed. They will have to endure a lot more pain than what they've presumably already gone through.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
I fully expect an appeal to be made after he's convicted based on incompetent defense.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,548,159 times
When I heard the coverage of this today on NPR, they mentioned that Sandusky's lawyers admitted that he did take showers with the boys.

Here is my question to any male readers of this thread who have ever been coaches, boy scout leaders, etc, - do you think it would be considered normal or abnormal for an adult male to shower with boys (like on a sports team, etc- in a setting where there is a public shower facility).

Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Sandusky in his late 60s. This will severely shorten his life. I feel somewhat sorry for his wife, who has to put up the courage to stand behind him. I also feel sorry for his kids (all adopted) who carry his name and some of whom are in positions of authority and/or visibility in the sports world.

Look at what happened to Joe Paterno. He died shortly after this scandal broke, despite his age. I'm sure he could have lasted another 5 years without this. I'm sure the guilt got to him, since he presumably had this reported to him.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
i wonder if the wife had a few suspicions of her own????

Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
The young guy on the stand yesterday said he was in the shower and Sandusky was in the bathroom with him ... about to disrobe and get in the shower when Mrs. Sandusky walked in the motel room and ask 'what is going on?'

Day 2, victim number one testified. Goodness, six more to go. I don't think I could sit on this jury and listen to the testimonies.

Later Tuesday, a local social worker, who had interviewed Sandusky, said Sandusky acknowledged laying on top of the witness, having the witness lay on top of him, blowing on his stomach, providing back rubs and staying at area hotels with the witness. She said Sandusky couldn't say whether his hand ever went below the witness' waistline and into his pants.

Jerry Sandusky engaged in repeated acts of oral sex, a second alleged victim testifies at trial - Yahoo! Sports

Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I fully expect an appeal to be made after he's convicted based on incompetent defense.
Incompetent defense is subjective, and it would have to be grossly incompetent for such a motion to succeed. It would have to be substandard that any reasonable person could contest the authenticity of the defense itself. But as far as we know, his counsel is qualified to practice law, hasn't fallen asleep in court, and has cross-examined witnesses. He's done the minimum to ensure a fair trial.

At this point, Sandusky is a man who's hurtling toward judgment day. These are the last few days of his life outside of prison walls. He's a serial liar who lives in his own 'reality'. Maybe it was easy for him to keep living these lies when his victims were younger and weaker and didn't have the credibility and reputation to match his. They were just more troubled youths, and he was given custody of them. He was given control of them. And he used that power to manipulate and violate them in the most unimaginable ways. But even now, even when they're adults who look him dead in the eye and tell him unequivocally of the pain he has caused, he still can't accept the truth. Fortunately, a jury is present to do what others never did for these children: they're their to listen to the evidence, and to put an end to this nightmare.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
A lot of people are probably asking themselves that.

However, many women married to "powerful" men bury their head in the sand in denial over this kind of stuff. The more "powerful" the man, the deeper the wife's head goes into the sand. If he was a regular laborer, she would have walked a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime