Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times

Advertisements

There was an interesting 60 Minutes last night on CNBC with Mrs. Madoff and their children [adults] were interviewed as well.

NEW EPISODE OF "60 MINUTES ON CNBC" WILL PREMIERE ON DECEMBER 11TH | News on News Newswire

Did anyone else watch it -- there is still a great deal of controversy and speculation that she knew what he was doing? Thoughts?

I knew the Feds took all of his possessions, millions of dollars worth of real estate, accounts, etc. what I did not know/remember, is that they allowed her to keep only $2million.

Last edited by sugarmaple; 12-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Hello SM

I did not see it but I have recently read a bio on Madoff. It was fascinating and repulsive at the same time. From the book, folks should know he was involved in shady deals from the get-go, as a young man, as a business owner over the years... so he was not some brilliant guy with perfect integrity, whose dealings just got a bit out of hand....

Wife's involvement...who really knows? I do know from the book that she had to sell most of her exquisite jewelry, furs etc. Poor dear.

How much was focused on the suicide of one of the sons who was working with Madoff? The widow of that son wrote a book too-good read.

Not even considering the victims in this case, Madoff took down a lot of men he worked with through the years...at least one, in addition to his son, committed suicide upon finding out the scope of what he had done. Others were given lesser prison terms.

What a tragedy.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
I for one do not know why madoff got convicted of anything at all. after all, madoff was not doing anything that the feds were not doing themselves in the 1st place.

is it just that the feds think they can do something to the american taxpayers but the individual american citizen is not allowed to do the same?

Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
He ruined many lives. I read a piece on an old guy who lost his entire retirement fund and had to start working again at 80+ years of age.

I think thieves like this should do hard labor. Maybe they'd appreciate how hard other people work for a meager living. Housing them in a cell with a TV doesn't really do society any justice and just costs money.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
[quote=NLVgal;27332542

I think thieves like this should do hard labor. Maybe they'd appreciate how hard other people work for a meager living. Housing them in a cell with a TV doesn't really do society any justice and just costs money.[/quote]

I like that idea. I think people like him are the lowest form of life. What a dirt bag!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
MW! I am surprised at you.

Taxes are NOT the same as literally stealing ALL LIFETIME SAVINGS out of pockets and you know it.

Back to topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I for one do not know why madoff got convicted of anything at all. after all, madoff was not doing anything that the feds were not doing themselves in the 1st place.

is it just that the feds think they can do something to the american taxpayers but the individual american citizen is not allowed to do the same?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 AM

139 posts, read 408,949 times
i saw it...... the mother and son deserve a Oscar nomination.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
MW! I am surprised at you.

Taxes are NOT the same as literally stealing ALL LIFETIME SAVINGS out of pockets and you know it.

Back to topic!

madoff was doing exactly the same thing the feds are doing now. he collected alot of money from alot of people and gives it back to a few at a time.

this is called a ponzie scheme and is illegal. it is exactly what the social security system is based upon.

the feds just calls theirs legal as they dont have to follow the rule of law, if they did have to follow the rule of law, alot of politicians would be serving prison sentences right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime