Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:27 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times

Advertisements

The Zebra killings

Zebra murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Murder of Jimmy Ryce is what I can think of from the top.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Not sure about the MOST. But I grew up in Bethesda, and the Bradford Bishop story was well known. In fact, I lived in the same neighborhood - the Bishop house was on the street we took to get to our development.

Closer to home, my wife was actually acquainted with the middle daughter of this case: Goff Murders Potomac | Handyman is charged in slayings of 4 Potomac family members, painter - Baltimore Sun

And then there was the Beltway Sniper - FBI — The Beltway Snipers, Pt. 1

Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
The still-unsolved Double Initial murders in the 70s. Kenneth Bianchi is from this area, and the crimes occurred before he moved to CA. He was considered a suspect, but cleared.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 AM

338 posts, read 446,869 times
Richard Bomhammer was caught by my towns police department. He went on a shooting spree in the late 90's in the Pittsburgh area. His last murder happened in Center Twp and then was caught soon after. I was like 10 years old, first time i remmeber something really being bad news.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
The most infamous crime to happen in Perth was the Claremont Serial Killings. This is still unsolved.

Claremont serial murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an excellent documentary on the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNF1E3mg3c

Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Not sure about the MOST. But I grew up in Bethesda, and the Bradford Bishop story was well known. In fact, I lived in the same neighborhood - the Bishop house was on the street we took to get to our development.

Closer to home, my wife was actually acquainted with the middle daughter of this case: Goff Murders Potomac | Handyman is charged in slayings of 4 Potomac family members, painter - Baltimore Sun

And then there was the Beltway Sniper - FBI — The Beltway Snipers, Pt. 1
That Bishop case is mind boggling. One of the most fascinating cases I've read about.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Domestic murder-suicide at the end of our block.

17-year-old boy stabbed and killed three elementary-school-age girls in next town. Later killed himself in custody.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
There was another one I should have added--the murder of Kathleen Krausneck back in the 80s. Technically unsolved but my job at the time put me in contact with police who thought the husband did it.

She was found in bed, dead with a hatchet in her head. Their 3-year old daughter was unharmed, and still in the house. The husband wouldn't allow anyone to speak with his daughter. He lawyered up, too. His were the only prints on the hatchet (his hatchet), and there were no unidentifiable prints elsewhere (in his home). He initially cooperated with police, and said he "had no idea" what time he left for work that day. Who has NO idea? It sounded like he didn't want to be pinned down.

Many people thought that no father would leave his child home alone, especially under those circumstances. Others, however, thought that worked to his advantage, and that leaving your child alone pales in comparison to killing your wife with an axe.

He and his daughter moved to another state soon after the murder, which remains unsolved. Technically.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
In the neighborhood where I grew up and went to school, we had a serial killer. Right across the street from the house of a girl I went to high school with, a woman was stabbed to death on her front lawn. It was Halloween and people thought her body was a prop; they stepped over her while trick-or-treating. Later someone figured out she was really dead.

Right down the road and turn left from my own house, a woman was beaten, stabbed, strangled, raped and hung up naked in her garage like an old pair of boots. If you only read the papers, you would never have known that case was solved; we never heard about that, only the killing itself. It was not until I bought a paperback about the Halloween murderer above that I learned he had confessed to -- and been given immunity for -- both of those killings. The book was Evil Eyes by Corey Mitchell.

In the county where I live now, there have been two notorious serial killers -- one, Ron Bailey, killed two 14-year-old boys, one of whom (Sean Moore) was driven all over the county and hidden hither and yon, calling his parents for help on a cellphone but unable to tell them where he was. Another guy who killed women (Leslie Allen Williams) killed a pair of teenaged sisters, among several others.

But the really notorious murders here, in more recent years than the above, were these:

A) the killing of a midnight gas-station clerk, fittingly named Jessica Fear. She was stabbed to death behind the cash register on a night when the security cameras weren't working, and it took years before the killer confessed and was slung in prison where he belonged.

B) the brutal beating death of a 4-year-old boy named Dominic Calhoun. He wet himself one day and mom's boyfriend spent the next few days pummelling him to death for it. During that time, the mom left Dominic alone with the boyfriend and attended a medical appointment with her own mom, when she could have easily raised the alarm and gotten the police involved without endangering herself -- if that was an issue. I heard from a colleague that at the little boy's funeral, the killer's family and the mother's family got into a drunken fistfight in the parking lot of the funeral home. Mom and boyfriend are both locked up for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime