Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,377,657 times

Advertisements

Did any of you guys see tonight's update?
Sounds like she might be getting a new trial because evidence was hidden in the first one.

One concern from my viewpoint is how fiercely the detectives questioned her, determined to get a 'confession' even though she was innocent.
And from what I've been reading lately, this kinda thing is not uncommon at all- play-by-play accounts of something that didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 PM

414 posts, read 915,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Did any of you guys see tonight's update?
Sounds like she might be getting a new trial because evidence was hidden in the first one.
Thanks for the info, Tia. I was away and did NOT see that show. Watched it On Demand last night. I will be shocked if Melissa isn't granted a new trial! As a matter-of-fact, I truly believe they should just overturn the conviction/dismiss the charges or whatever the legal steps needed to just bury this whole injustice. That poor girl was mentally harassed, abused until she finally gave those detectives what they wanted, NOT what actually happened! False confessions maybe don't happen often but they do happen. She was mentally and physically exhausted and just wanted to go home so she gave them what they wanted. Period!

I feel for Ben's parents. I'm sure it is easier (?) to "accept" that he was mistreated and died as a result rather than think they neglected to notice previous signs of him being in distress. But they only think Melissa killed him due to her "confession".

A sad story all around.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Thanks for the info, Tia. I was away and did NOT see that show. Watched it On Demand last night. I will be shocked if Melissa isn't granted a new trial! As a matter-of-fact, I truly believe they should just overturn the conviction/dismiss the charges or whatever the legal steps needed to just bury this whole injustice. That poor girl was mentally harassed, abused until she finally gave those detectives what they wanted, NOT what actually happened! False confessions maybe don't happen often but they do happen. She was mentally and physically exhausted and just wanted to go home so she gave them what they wanted. Period!

I feel for Ben's parents. I'm sure it is easier (?) to "accept" that he was mistreated and died as a result rather than think they neglected to notice previous signs of him being in distress. But they only think Melissa killed him due to her "confession".

A sad story all around.
I agree with you- a little child who should have had his whole life ahead of him

But I also believe they should be putting the emphasis on determining the source/cause of his old injury- if it was bad enough that he eventually died from it, something must have happened to him much earlier.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM

7,352 posts, read 11,817,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Why didn't this kid have a helmet if he was such a head banger?
Did anyone seriously suggest that he was? Because it sounds like someone else was banging his head, making the purchase of a helmet pretty unlikely.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,194,698 times
Let me tell you I have seen first hand how some of these so called detectives work , when you are not telling them what they want to hear , then they keep on and on at you . They wanted me to testify against a neighbor when I told them I had not seen anything or even had seen him all weekend . They would call me all the time trying to get me to change my mind , they showed up at my door . No I finally had to move from a place I dearly loved to get them to leave me alone . Those detectives get one person in mind and they don't look for anyone else .

Old 07-27-2015, 06:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,425,675 times
I watched the video of that sweet little boy and thought that he was lethargic and not acting like a child playing with toys. That video was used at the trial to show how healthy he was and he did not look healthy to me. While I have no idea who killed him, it seems that his parents would be under investigation first, and maybe they were, and then the supervisor who was in the room with the boy and Melissa.

Another trial is in order and then if she is found guilty again, then she will spend the rest of her life in prison.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,116,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Did anyone seriously suggest that he was? Because it sounds like someone else was banging his head, making the purchase of a helmet pretty unlikely.
I could be wrong, but I believe it was mentioned that he was a head banger, which could have made an accidental injury that much worse.

I think the daycare worker is innocent, the scapegoat, because people want someone to blame.

That little boy could have taken a serious fall out of sight of his parents, perhaps while playing with his siblings.

Sometimes accidents happen and there is no one to blame.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 PM

1,160 posts, read 716,424 times
I know this is kind of stale, but 48 hours is notorious for sensational editing.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 PM

414 posts, read 915,033 times
Might happen...

Melissa Calusinski wins court victory as she seeks to overturn conviction | abc7chicago.com

Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 PM

I hope she finally gets a chance at freedom and to have a life of her own.
It seems to me they should be investigating the child's parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime