Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 01:34 PM

22,436 posts, read 29,589,999 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I hope I put this in the right forum here. I need some guidance on how to get the police involved. I have someone from my bf's past of 22 years ago constantly texting and emailing us. The latest incident just happened today with over 30 texts. I finally called her and what she said to me was not of sound mind. She lives here in Colorado with us but is claiming to have moved to another state. My question is do I contact the police in the city where she lives or the new place? I have addresses on both. Again, I do not know if she truly moved to this other state. She could be lying. I have kept all texts and emails as proof. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 02:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,582,039 times
Unless some of the texts are threatening, they will most likely say it is a civil case.
My next door neighbor just went through something similar, and without a threat, cops would not get involved. That's in my neck of the woods, don't know about yours.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM

22,436 posts, read 29,589,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Unless some of the texts are threatening, they will most likely say it is a civil case.
My next door neighbor just went through something similar, and without a threat, cops would not get involved. That's in my neck of the woods, don't know about yours.

There's no threats but just does not stop texting us. There has to be something that can be done. I can stop it on our phones but not through his work email or work landline.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:28 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,383,106 times
Have you told her to stop texting you? If so, contact your local police department and see what they have to say. Here, it is considered telecommunications harassment.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,020,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
There's no threats but just does not stop texting us. There has to be something that can be done. I can stop it on our phones but not through his work email or work landline.
Block her texts via Mr. Number and put the email address in your spam list. Alternatively you can just delete the texts/emails. Until she starts threatening you, there's nothing the police can do.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,588,578 times
Whether it is threatening or not - it is harassment. It needs to be reported to the police in the jurisdiction in which you receive the texts/e-mails which would be presumably your home or your work. Keeping the messages is good - the officer will want to review them and include it in the report. They will then contact her (wherever she is they have the means to locate her!) and advise her that there is a complaint against her, that she must stop and if it continues or she does it again she can be charged with telephone harassment. You guys would of course have to be willing to file charges and be serious about it.

Whether or not she is mental is not relevant to the cops - and if she does this to others and there are other complaints on file yours may be enough to get her arrested - if she has been warned or ticketed in the past. If she has made actual threats to you or your bf - that should increase the likelihood that she would be charged. Also - if she is calling him at work perhaps his office could pursue charges for disruption of their business because of her. Good luck....there are a bunch of loonies out there - that's for sure!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,536,612 times
Yes there are a bunch of loonies out there. Unfortunately one lives right next door to me.

I agree you should contact the police where you are receiving the harassment. It sounds like you're both getting calls. I'd try to file separate complaints for you and your BF if that's possible. Like CFoulke said, a multitude of complaints might be the factor in getting them to take serious action. Each state has different stalking laws, you'll have to talk to local LEO to find out what they can and can't do for you.

I hope you have a gun. In Colorado I'm pretty sure you can shoot her should she ever break in to your house and it will be ruled self defense.

Some of these "relationship" stalkers never threaten to do harm before they decide to kill either the person they "love" so no one else can have them, or the person their ex is with because they think that person is the only thing in the way of being with the object of their obsession.

My question is how did she get your cell phone number? Is there a cell directory now?

Old 05-21-2016, 11:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,120,515 times
Contact your cell phone carrier and tell them to block her number. And block her off the email too.

If she's calling the landline, do people still use those, call the phone company and tell them to block her number.

It's a lot easier to block numbers in 2016 with all of the various call and email blocking options out there. And if worse comes to worse then change the phone number and/or email address. It's a pita but it works!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime