Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 AM

252 posts, read 358,831 times

Advertisements

Joran told (then retracted) Greta that he sold her for $10k, I think to be taken to Venezuela 15 miles away. Robyn Gardner, another pretty girl also missing without a trace. Odd considering how small Aruba is.

I hope the remains are identified so someone can have alittle bit of closure but with the timing of
a TV show, it seems like a publicity stunt.

Last edited by seaduced; 08-20-2017 at 04:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:11 AM

58 posts, read 45,395 times
Joran is very narcissistic , arrogant and likes attention. He is also known for making statements being seemingly oblivious to how it will be perceived. You could see him trying to smuggle humans on hidden camera. It looks very awkward there. That was taken several years later than 2005. At the time Joran was much younger. I don't think any crime kingpin would use Joran to find a blond girl. You could also find a blond girl whose parents would not have access to a private jet. I'm not buying any of this. But what do I know.

Holloway's parents are wealthy. But perhaps they have spent much on private detectives so they are in need for money. Their behavior has been seen as controversial but I think they have good intentions.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:28 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't think we can view Beth's actions as arising from authorities doing nothing. She and her party arrived the evening that Natalie was reported missing and immediately confronted Joran at his home. They immediately violated Aruban law by publishing the full name of the underage suspect - law states that only the first name can be used prior to conviction. Police would have used wire taps and other methods to gather evidence on the suspect's, but that was not possible after Natalie's parents took control of the investigation.

It's unfortunate that the family arrived at Aruba with the assumption that the Dutch system was incompetent.

The whole situation was further muddied with the parent's claims that Natalie was an angel, whereas in fact she had been drinking all day every day during the school trip. Natalie made stupid decisions because she was hammered, and that had to be taken into consideration when she was reported missing.

Joran's has a zero to one hundred temper, and he did say that he had an uncomfortable conversation with Natalie about slaves and nazis. I think that was the trigger that caused violence - the same violence that he had with Stefanie in Peru.

Regarding involving the USA media to solve a missing person case in Aruba, I think it was a big mistake. In many countries, that sort of talking head crime discussion is not allowed because it is a fact that discussing evidence pre-trial compromises the integrity of the case.
I would take EVERYTHING Joran has to say with a grain of salt and certainly not state it as fact.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Lots of college kids go on vacation and do stupid stuff.
It was a high school graduation trip. She was not in college. Why the heck any high school would take seniors to Aruba is beyond me. A parent's worst nightmare, especially the apparent lack of supervision of these kids.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't think we can view Beth's actions as arising from authorities doing nothing. She and her party arrived the evening that Natalie was reported missing and immediately confronted Joran at his home. They immediately violated Aruban law by publishing the full name of the underage suspect - law states that only the first name can be used prior to conviction. Police would have used wire taps and other methods to gather evidence on the suspect's, but that was not possible after Natalie's parents took control of the investigation.

It's unfortunate that the family arrived at Aruba with the assumption that the Dutch system was incompetent.

The whole situation was further muddied with the parent's claims that Natalie was an angel, whereas in fact she had been drinking all day every day during the school trip. Natalie made stupid decisions because she was hammered, and that had to be taken into consideration when she was reported missing.

Joran's has a zero to one hundred temper, and he did say that he had an uncomfortable conversation with Natalie about slaves and nazis. I think that was the trigger that caused violence - the same violence that he had with Stefanie in Peru.

Regarding involving the USA media to solve a missing person case in Aruba, I think it was a big mistake. In many countries, that sort of talking head crime discussion is not allowed because it is a fact that discussing evidence pre-trial compromises the integrity of the case.
Are you Dutch? I have spent a good amount of time in the ABC islands as I am a scuba diver, and like the climate there. Bonaire is my favorite, although I have spent time in Aruba also. I am curious what the Dutch think about all this.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:01 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It was a high school graduation trip. She was not in college. Why the heck any high school would take seniors to Aruba is beyond me. A parent's worst nightmare, especially the apparent lack of supervision of these kids.
In my mind and again it may just be MY mind, she has graduated high school so that makes her a college kid. True she had not yet attended a day in college but to me, I see no difference between 1 day post HS and the first day of college. They did not go alone they were on a school trip. The supervision or lack thereof is a point up for debate but not in this discussion.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
She didn't require parent's permission or supervision...she was 18 years old

Last edited by seaduced; 08-20-2017 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: ..

Old 08-20-2017, 08:43 AM

oops, my bad..she was 17 1/2... Wikipedia has it wrong

Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
They did not go alone they were on a school trip. The supervision or lack thereof is a point up for debate but not in this discussion.
Of course it is. If she had been supervised on this high school trip, she probably would not have ended up dead.

"That morning I was checking roll and she wasn't there,'' said Bob Plummer, a Mountain Brook teacher, coach and trip chaperone. "I was thinking, 'She's here somewhere' and I continued thinking that, but as more days went by, it was apparent something bad had happened."
Natalee Holloway 10 years later: New facts, and doubts, about the case's future | AL.com

Why didn't these chaperones "check the roll" each night?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Why did her friends leave without her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime