Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:49 PM

812 posts, read 736,645 times

Advertisements

Last I read on this is that they are no longer interested in Nations. This could of course be a misleading statement by police, they could be in a situation where they do not have enough evidence against him but want him to feel secure so he doesn't jump the border or off himself.

They have not been very forthcoming with many details on this case, one thing I wonder is if they found any of the killer's DNA? If they did, it would have been fairly easy to get a warrant for Nation's DNA while he was in custody in Colorado and either confirm or rule him out as a suspect.

I suspect they have a lot more on this killer then they are releasing, though this far along I have to wonder why they are still holding back. One belief out there is that the audio of the killer came from a video recording one of the girls made and that the police may actually have the guy's face or additional speech on video as well. Regardless, I really hope they find this guy soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM

859 posts, read 705,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
When you were there, did you park at the cemetery and walk to the area where the girl's bodies were found?

My impression is that the person responsible for the murders would want to leave the area immediately after the murders. It's quite possible that he was at the parking area when the girls were dropped off, and that he was familiar enough with the area to know that he could intercept them if he parked at the cemetery.
I read this story today, so I don't have a briefing around it. The first thing that I wondered or I might not understand if it's mentioned is the reason of the death or Autopsy results.
When I read your comment, I hardly try to imagine that someone dropped 2 persons from bridge because I find it a little bit strange or difficult to convince. But when I look at the picture of the bridge that they inserted in the link. I got shocked when I see that the the bridge doesn't have barriers from both sides (left & right)!!
I imagined a bridge with barriers. not like the picture.

This kind of bridge is creepy and not capable for safe usage!
Any body could fall from it, or could get pushed by someone else, or could stand near the edge of the bridge then something happened that makes him lose his balance and fall. Further more, the DISTANCE between every "Threshold " ( I'm not sure of its name) and another one seems a little bit big. And that's couldn't help to run faster if you feel in danger.

So, in order to avoid both crimes and accidents from happening, they have to build another bridge that improved with barriers from both sides.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:51 PM

680 posts, read 534,783 times
I'm into true crime and mysteries. Been following this case since it became news. Very confusing crime. I don't understand how it could be random, doesn't add up. It's entirely possible, just unlikely I think. The killer had to have the tools, mindset, and opportunity. What are the chances a person like that would be in the same location where 2 girls are alone and nobody else is around to help them. I think he saw them get dropped off and knew the area, as others here have stated. I'm sure he's local or use to live in the area. Making a big change in his life like quitting a job or moving would be too suspicious. He's probably still in the area, I can't believe nobody has caught him yet. So frustrating. I wonder if anyone saw his car parked that day? Any cameras nearby that would capture traffic passing?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Last I read on this is that they are no longer interested in Nations. This could of course be a misleading statement by police, they could be in a situation where they do not have enough evidence against him but want him to feel secure so he doesn't jump the border or off himself.

They have not been very forthcoming with many details on this case, one thing I wonder is if they found any of the killer's DNA? If they did, it would have been fairly easy to get a warrant for Nation's DNA while he was in custody in Colorado and either confirm or rule him out as a suspect.

I suspect they have a lot more on this killer then they are releasing, though this far along I have to wonder why they are still holding back. One belief out there is that the audio of the killer came from a video recording one of the girls made and that the police may actually have the guy's face or additional speech on video as well. Regardless, I really hope they find this guy soon.
I suspect they do too.

There was a case, LaShan Mullinghaus, in College Station Texas where a beautiful student there was murdered and decapitated in her off-campus apartment. This was back in the 80's. Police knew pretty quickly who had done it - it was a television repairman - but they needed his wife's testimony to convict. She was divorcing and it was a long process, and they waited until her divorce was final so they could compel her to testify.

I suspect this is something like that too. Just a feeling.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I'm into true crime and mysteries. Been following this case since it became news. Very confusing crime. I don't understand how it could be random, doesn't add up. It's entirely possible, just unlikely I think. The killer had to have the tools, mindset, and opportunity. What are the chances a person like that would be in the same location where 2 girls are alone and nobody else is around to help them. I think he saw them get dropped off and knew the area, as others here have stated. I'm sure he's local or use to live in the area. Making a big change in his life like quitting a job or moving would be too suspicious. He's probably still in the area, I can't believe nobody has caught him yet. So frustrating. I wonder if anyone saw his car parked that day? Any cameras nearby that would capture traffic passing?

The case came up in conversation with a friend of mine who's been a lineman for the local telecommunications carrier in Fort Wayne for many years. Figured since he works outside all over NE Indiana, he'd be a good source.

His hunch is the guy is a drifter. Early on, LE asked the public if anyone had seen a man hitch hiking along IN 25, which is really close to the bridge. I'm kind of on the fence re: the guy's background/living situation/etc. The murders happened on a Monday, early afternoon timeframe, so either he had the day off from work, works an off shift, travels for work (locally or ?), or he doesn't work. Many Illinois residents had the day off for Lincoln's birthday. So then the question of how he got to the area begs to be asked, Vehicle? Thumbed a ride? ???

Condition of the bridge has come up, here. I've heard it's in rough shape. Also, it's private property still owned by CSX (as of Summer 2017), but has not been maintained since the late-80's. Technically, people shouldn't be walking on it, but if I'd had the chance to last year when I was out there I probably would have walked over and around it.

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 09-17-2018 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The case came up in conversation with a friend of mine who's been a lineman for the local telecommunications carrier in Fort Wayne for many years. Figured since he works outside all over NE Indiana, he'd be a good source.

His hunch is the guy is a drifter. Early on, LE asked the public if anyone had seen a man hitch hiking along IN 25, which is really close to the bridge. I'm kind of on the fence re: the guy's background/living situation/etc. The murders happened on a Monday, early afternoon timeframe, so either he had the day off from work, works an off shift, travels for work (locally or ?), or he doesn't work. Many Illinois residents had the day off for Lincoln's birthday. So then the question of how he got to the area begs to be asked, Vehicle? Thumbed a ride? ???

Condition of the bridge has come up, here. I've heard it's in rough shape. Also, it's private property still owned by CSX (as of Summer 2017), but has not been maintained since the late-80's. Technically, people shouldn't be walking on it, but if I'd had the chance to last year when I was out there I probably would have walked over and around it.
The fact is 2 witnesses actually saw this guy leaving the trail toward freedom bridge, and that's what the sketch is based on that police released. Besides being seen by those witnesses, he made a squeaky clean exit. In winter it would be hard to hide a car, with trees being bare. Which leads me to believe he walked a while, before using a car that was elsewhere, not adjacent to the trail. This was a crime of convenience. He probably pictured in his mind what he was looking for in a victim. Saw the girls, looked back to make sure nobody was behind him. And QUICKLY moved across the bridge, which alerted Libby and made her start recording.

It's hard to believe he's still in the area. In a town that small, he wouldn't risk being seen by those witnesses. He's most likely in another state by now. If he's still in the area, maybe he's a basement dweller living with an elderly parent, and rarely goes out.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 09-17-2018 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 07:50 PM

Anything new on this? It's almost been 2 years!

Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 PM

14 posts, read 16,801 times
Sounds like this could be the guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWRYWiyOec

Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 PM

14 posts, read 16,801 times
Although there's this guy too: https://www.tristatehomepage.com/new...ect/1702322719 at least this guy and the one mentioned in the video above are already in custody.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:07 AM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Anything new on this case? Just listened to podcast on this yesterday. They never released a lot of information. Maybe it's time they let go of the information hidden from public view. I agree with their assessment of this guy being a local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime