Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 PM

35 posts, read 32,934 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I'm also wondering if the woman found with him could've been a student of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 04:25 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,969,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I find the gun shots interesting, too. I haven't had the time to read over all of the info on Websleuths, but, from what I've read there and elsewhere, I'm under the impression that the same gun was used on both victims. It has me wondering if the killer could have been a law enforcement officer, or presented himself as one. I also need to read up on the original suspect as well as possibly do some research on the KOA employee. Some things that have come to mind...

1. They supposedly stayed at this campground on the way to Florida and on the way back. Was Jock carrying a ton of cash? If so, and if it was a robbery, why weren't they killed on the first leg of the trip? Also, Jock played pool with the employee. Maybe they played for money. Because, think about this... if Jock was "well to do" as I think the Sheriff's Dept thought, then why would Jock try to pawn his ring to the employee he played pool with?

2. Could they have gone to Florida to purchase a sporty, expensive vehicle? A collectible? When my husband and I were looking to purchase a specific vehicle, many of our searches led to Florida listings. Maybe Jock found an ad in a car magazine and travelled with the intent to purchase. Which leads to...

3. Was he driving a coveted vehicle at that time? Possibly speeding, stopped by someone pretending to be an officer or even a real officer. Maybe Jock left the campground owing money. Maybe the person(s) he owed called in a favor.

I don't see them as hitchhikers.

I did respond upthread that he claimed he had just quit his job as a teacher. One thing in my searches during the week... I came across what looked like a local gossip column in that local paper, that mentioned a teacher, and apparently the only male teacher, at a girls boarding school. He was basically fired for wearing "cutoff shorts" off the job and had become too popular with the girls. So the board fired him. The timing of it matches nearly perfect to the timing of Jock traveling and claiming that he quit his job as a teacher.

Websleuths has placed me on "time out" until the 23rd. So, I'm so thankful to all of you on here who are contributing to this.
Perhaps this is a safer place to discuss topics like this.

I too lean towards them having a car, so that leaves the possibility that they picked up a hitchhiker, or they were in the wrong place at the wrong time when two people arrived and one drove away with the car. That takes us back to the trucker who found the couple, and the man whose brother is a trucker who owned the gun. The gun was purchased by one brother and allegedly given to the other brother.

I hope that investigators followed up on all vehicles owned by the brothers and their close circle between the time of the murders and the accidental discovery of the weapon.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Oh, and I'm also wondering if the woman found with him could've been a student of his.
I think it is in the video I linked that they were both in their 20s. Although they were initially believed to be in their late teens, dental grow and dental work indicted that he was maybe 27 years old and she was a couple of years younger.

In Canada, a 4 year teaching degree was required to teach school in 1976. I understand that some states have different requirements. If they are Canadian and he was a teacher, he was 22 years old before his teaching job and, after 5 years, would be 27 years old. Teachers typically work 200 days per year, so I'm surprised that a Canadian teacher would blow off a job by dressing like a teenager when job security offers several weeks of vacation time. That doesn't add up for a Canadian private or public school.

Inappropriate behaviour between teachers and students did happen in Canadian schools in 1976, and there were no real consequences. My high school English teacher married a girl from my class after graduation, but it started before graduation.

What I'm saying regarding him being the teacher and her being the student is that it is unlikely since they were close in age, maybe 23 and 27.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,349,980 times
City Data also has a True Crime forum where topics like this are discussed.

It's not ruled out that this unfortunate couple might be American, is it?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

My opinion is that it's a 30-70 that the couple are from Canada-USA. I think the reason it was posted in the Canada forum is due to a specific question about identifying a building in Nova Scotia. Maybe its best to request that the discussion be moved to the True Crime forum now that the photo question has been answered.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,095,468 times
If their dental work was as top notch high quality expensive work as is being claimed I seriously doubt they were from Canada unless they came from very wealthy families. And if they came from very wealthy Canadian families their families would have left no stones un-turned until the wheareabouts and fates of their missing children had been discovered.

Just because the young man told some inquisitive stranger that he was an ex- teacher from Canada and that his father was a prominent Canadian physician does not mean he was telling the truth instead of telling a fabrication as a diversion to hide their real identities and social status. It does not sound to me the slightest bit like the kind of story a conservative minded, well educated Canadian from a wealthy family would have told, it sounds to me more like a fantasy story made up by somebody who lived in another country and didn't know a thing about Canada or Canadian society.

I think from their physical appearance and robust, wholesome good health and the way they were dressed they looked like typical upper middle class coastal Californians of the 70's and California is exactly where I think they came from. Probably from Los Angeles, based just on their appearance.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:46 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
My opinion is that it's a 30-70 that the couple are from Canada-USA. I think the reason it was posted in the Canada forum is due to a specific question about identifying a building in Nova Scotia. Maybe its best to request that the discussion be moved to the True Crime forum now that the photo question has been answered.
I only thought that posters on the True Crime forum might be more experienced sleuthers than this forum. They might have suggestions we don't have.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:

No, I don't think much as all has been ruled out, except that they are not siblings. DNA did rule that out.

But, Jock claimed his father was a prominent doctor in Canada. And of course, there is no way to verify that. At lease not yet.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think it is in the video I linked that they were both in their 20s. Although they were initially believed to be in their late teens, dental grow and dental work indicted that he was maybe 27 years old and she was a couple of years younger.

In Canada, a 4 year teaching degree was required to teach school in 1976. I understand that some states have different requirements. If they are Canadian and he was a teacher, he was 22 years old before his teaching job and, after 5 years, would be 27 years old. Teachers typically work 200 days per year, so I'm surprised that a Canadian teacher would blow off a job by dressing like a teenager when job security offers several weeks of vacation time. That doesn't add up for a Canadian private or public school.

Inappropriate behaviour between teachers and students did happen in Canadian schools in 1976, and there were no real consequences. My high school English teacher married a girl from my class after graduation, but it started before graduation.

What I'm saying regarding him being the teacher and her being the student is that it is unlikely since they were close in age, maybe 23 and 27.
Did I mention the school that fired the only teacher? I don't think it will make a difference. But, it was Edgehill School for Girls. 1976 was the last years as an all girl school. It became Kings Edgehill and a coed in September 1976. That's another coincidence I'm trying to look into. I can't find ANYTHING other than the gossip column in the local newspaper that year. No online yearbooks for that year. Although I don't think I looked for a 76 yearbook for Kings Edgehill. I doubt that teacher would be included in it if he was fired in May/June/Juy.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I only thought that posters on the True Crime forum might be more experienced sleuthers than this forum. They might have suggestions we don't have.
I think so too. Maybe our original poster will come back and can make the request, otherwise one of us should do that in the next day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If their dental work was as top notch high quality expensive work as is being claimed I seriously doubt they were from Canada unless they came from very wealthy families. And if they came from very wealthy Canadian families their families would have left no stones un-turned until the wheareabouts and fates of their missing children had been discovered.

Just because the young man told some inquisitive stranger that he was an ex- teacher from Canada and that his father was a prominent Canadian physician does not mean he was telling the truth instead of telling a fabrication as a diversion to hide their real identities and social status. It does not sound to me the slightest bit like the kind of story a conservative minded, well educated Canadian from a wealthy family would have told, it sounds to me more like a fantasy story made up by somebody who lived in another country and didn't know a thing about Canada or Canadian society.

I think from their physical appearance and robust, wholesome good health and the way they were dressed they looked like typical upper middle class coastal Californians of the 70's and California is exactly where I think they came from. Probably from Los Angeles, based just on their appearance.

Dental care was fairly common in the middle class in Western Canada in the early 1970s. Many youth had regular care including having their wisdom teeth removed. I agree that it would be highly unlikely that 2 Canadians would vanish without the family doing everything to locate them, but it was not easy to locate people who vanished while travelling internationally in 1976. If they are Canadian, they should be on the Canadian missing persons lists from 1976.

I also agree that someone claiming to be Canadian, a teacher, or the child of a doctor doesn't mean it's true. As discussed in another thread, travellers claiming to be Canadian in the 1970s was common.

The Daisy Dukes cut-off shorts is what leaves me wondering whether they are Canadian. I've never heard of that brand. In my world, cut-offs were something that happened to Levis jeans when they wore out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime