Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 07:20 PM

148 posts, read 137,015 times

Advertisements

Just got done reading an interesting City Data thread which prompted me to create a new thread.

If you could have all the answers to any mystery, what would it be?

A lot of controversy about this guy's death yet his parents refused an autopsy.
Segue: no autopsy for Jim Morrison in Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 04:41 AM

42 posts, read 23,536 times
Perhaps it's because the American doctor who gave him a sedative was trying to cover up a mistake, and blame it on the Norks, while absolving himself of doing the same thing again.

The NK doctor said that Otto was in a coma for some time after what they concluded was a bad reaction to a sedative.

Then the American doctor gave him a sedative.

WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rZk...=DWDocumentary

Old 01-15-2021, 07:24 PM

148 posts, read 137,015 times
I've heard this as a possible explanation: Jewish law forbids the despoliation of a body once it is deceased, to provide the body with the utmost respect and honor. If a body undergoes mutilating examination in an autopsy, many rabbis deem this practice makes the body impure.
from
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...-in-jewish-law

Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyPeacefulProtestor View Post
Perhaps it's because the American doctor who gave him a sedative was trying to cover up a mistake, and blame it on the Norks, while absolving himself of doing the same thing again.

The NK doctor said that Otto was in a coma for some time after what they concluded was a bad reaction to a sedative.

Then the American doctor gave him a sedative.

WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rZk...=DWDocumentary
Who gives sedatives to a guy who isn't even conscious? Was he seizing?

Old 03-23-2021, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
I’m 80% sure the US government did an autopsy. If anything, the autopsy likely made it clear that he was mistreated and murdered by the NK government. If they were to release a hypothetical autopsy showing NKs fault, it would generate a LOT of pressure on the US government to retaliate. I could see them keeping it hidden even if just to keep our government from looking weak.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
He either tried to commit suicide the day after the sentencing to hard labor, or he was over-sedated by the North Koreans, or both. It's common for prisoners to attempt suicide since they're mentally broken by the harshness of the interrogation and the expectation of having to endure punishment for a long time.

link

Old 03-24-2021, 04:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
IMO, he attempted suicide...his parents should never have allowed him to go there...why anyone would go to NK is beyond me

Old 03-25-2021, 09:19 AM

139 posts, read 215,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
IMO, he attempted suicide...his parents should never have allowed him to go there...why anyone would go to NK is beyond me
In what universe can parents disallow their 21 year old "child" from traveling or anything else? Suggest he not go? Strongly suggest it? Yes. Disallow? No.

This is a fantastic piece on Otto: https://www.gq.com/story/otto-warmbi...age-true-story

There are a lot of oddities to this story, one being that the parents did not say Otto was Jewish because they "did not want to embarrass North Korea," by saying that after Otto told them he was taking the poster for a church. Very strange.

The parents lack of public outcry remains puzzling as NK essentially got off scott free for killing their son.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Maybe Otto’s parents received a secret settlement from North Korea.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,757 times
Well that's possible. The whole thing smells. I would never want to go to North Korea period. And maybe he did try to commit suicide.That might explain his injury. And why try to steal the poster in the first place? Surely if he wanted a souvenir, he could have purchased some cheap junk from the hotel.That doesn't make sense.Maybe one of the others in the group really did it, but they zeroed in on Otto because his height or something resembled the person on camera. Maybe or maybe not. In any case why go there in the first place and why try to steal the propaganda poster? Maybe it was a college prank? There has been some thought maybe some idiot tried to recruit him as a spy perhasp? Seen that theory bandied about. If there is any truth to that, well they didn't do a very good job of it. Wonder if money exchanged hands between the parents and the administration, just like the thing with Bergdahl. I mean, there are plenty of americans who get into trouble overseas, yet you don't see their family's on tv with the president asking to bring their loved ones home. That's why i make the remark about money for. I'm sorry he's gone and sorry his family has to live with this the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime