Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Report: Hedge Fund Founder Who Lost $1.4B in Madoff Scandal Dead in Apparent Suicide - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

A founder of a hedge fund that lost as much as $1.4 billion in the alleged Bernard Madoff scheme committed suicide in his New York City office, according to several media reports.

Rene-Thierry Magon de La Villehuchet of Access International Advisors was found dead early Tuesday morning, reported French business paper La Tribune.

Click here for photos.

The 65-year-old Villehuchet had lost as much as $1.4 billion invested with Madoff, the Tribune reported.

Villehuchet "could not cope with the pressure following the outbreak of the scandal," the Tribune's Web site said, quoting his relatives. "This is a farewell from someone who had done nothing wrong."

He was discovered by paramedics in the Manhattan offices of Access International and pronounced dead.

Madoff is accused of masterminding and running a $50 billion Ponzi scheme.

The former Nasdaq chief is currently on house arrest.

Could Madoff be charged with murder.....maybe indirect way of murdering people....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Afraid not, but I don't believe the scale of fraud should be permitted to get by with a slap of the wrist the way white collar fraud always does. I wish the magnitude of damage done were leveled against them and not rule out the death penalty. Should he die before trial the way enron weasel does I don't think his ill gotten gains should be permitted to be inherited. RICO should apply.

I'm sorry this man couldn't face what he allowed on his watch, but he like many others were victims of fraud. The law should have been there and it wasn't.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Afraid not, but I don't believe the scale of fraud should be permitted to get by with a slap of the wrist the way white collar fraud always does. I wish the magnitude of damage done were leveled against them and not rule out the death penalty. Should he die before trial the way enron weasel does I don't think his ill gotten gains should be permitted to be inherited. RICO should apply.

I'm sorry this man couldn't face what he allowed on his watch, but he like many others were victims of fraud. The law should have been there and it wasn't.
I have trouble with the fact that Madoff is still at home with an ankle bracelet and he will probable be dead before his trial just as you stated about the Enron scumbag! Madoff only has to swollen a bottle of pills and he is out and all the victims are left with even more pain.....they should lock Madoff up and have him talk!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have trouble with the fact that Madoff is still at home with an ankle bracelet and he will probable be dead before his trial just as you stated about the Enron scumbag! Madoff only has to swollen a bottle of pills and he is out and all the victims are left with even more pain.....they should lock Madoff up and have him talk!

As much as I would like to join you in your retributive fantasy, do you honestly propose throwing away the key, and in so doing, the Constitution along with it?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As much as I would like to join you in your retributive fantasy, do you honestly propose throwing away the key, and in so doing, the Constitution along with it?
In this case...it would be nice to do so and some other cases also...but mostly I like that we live in a civilized society, but this man is not a human, if you can do what he did to people he called friends.....

Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
As I sit here staring at a $900 electric bill and trying to figure out what to leave out this month so I can pay it,it is very hard for me to build up ANY sympathy for some guy who killed himself over losing $1.4 billion.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
As I sit here staring at a $900 electric bill and trying to figure out what to leave out this month so I can pay it,it is very hard for me to build up ANY sympathy for some guy who killed himself over losing $1.4 billion.
$900 electric bill???!!!!

You growin' something you shouldn't be?????

Old 12-24-2008, 08:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
It will be interesting to see just how long Madoff does live.....he didn't do this alone and probably got help from high up on the food chain...high up....very high up.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
$900 electric bill???!!!!

You growin' something you shouldn't be?????
LMAO!!! "Them thar' grow lights IS 'spensive,ain't they"

No...it's the coolers in our store that are causing it to be that high.Our house bill is still well over a $150 a month tho' and I heat with wood.I can't imagine what it would be if I used electric heat.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Why does Bernard Madoff even still have a home? Every asset he has should have already been confiscated or at least all assets frozen. He should be homeless and penniless. Might not be the legal thing but it is the moral thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime