Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The federal courts at the state level are all named "District courts". Some states have more than one federal court district, others just one.
Federal courts are different than state courts. A state court is NOT a federal court. Federal courts have limited subject matter jurisdiction and apply federal laws (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure). State courts hear a broader range of cases and apply state law. In some instances a Federal Court will apply state substantive law, such as when it sits in diversity. I practice in both state and federal courts.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Federal courts are different than state courts. A state court is NOT a federal court. Federal courts have limited subject matter jurisdiction and apply federal laws (Federal Rules of Civil Procedure or Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure). State courts hear a broader range of cases and apply state law. In some instances a Federal Court will apply state substantive law, such as when it sits in diversity. I practice in both state and federal courts.
I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote my post, since there was nothing inaccurate in it and I'm not sure you were really responding to it.

Thanks for providing readers the additional information. ( I suspect diversity jurisdiction is way beyond the scope of the topic, but that's ok for now. )(I'm also licensed to practice in both).

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
My husband practiced mostly in County Court in CO as he was an Estate, Probate and Real Estate attorney. He rarely went to the Court house as most of his cases were Estates and Probate so he efiled with Lexis Nexis. He was able to do most of his legal work electronically, through phone calls and office visits. When Arizona granted attorneys reciprocity last year, he was going to practice Elder Law, estates and probate here, but he passed away before he could. That was also part of the reason we were moving here was so that he could practice law in both states.

I'll get than hang of the Judicial system here in AZ eventually, and hopefully if I get called for jury duty, I'll know too much law to be on a jury.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'll get than hang of the Judicial system here in AZ eventually, and hopefully if I get called for jury duty, I'll know too much law to be on a jury.
dont count on that. a while back arizona was having problems getting enough jurors for the court system, so they opened up the jury system to include lawyers, cops, judges, congress people, etc. even the mayor and council members are not immune to being called for jury duty.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dont count on that. a while back arizona was having problems getting enough jurors for the court system, so they opened up the jury system to include lawyers, cops, judges, congress people, etc. even the mayor and council members are not immune to being called for jury duty.
Oh, goody. It's that way in CO. Just about anyone who can breathe is juror candidate.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 AM

683 posts, read 2,650,929 times
I was called down there twice and both times were immigration cases involving illegal entry. They'd been deported a few times and then they were caught committing a crime so they had to serve time in the U.S. It was confusing, complicated, boring.
They spent a day talking about the sensors on the border and whether or not a defendant actually crossed the border and set off the alarms. It took three or four days to complete the whole process.
Most of the cases I saw were something to do with the Border Patrol. There was one bunch of jurors that were leaving after a month down there. They had some kind of case involving some kind of land deal gone wrong.
No matter what, I always try to do my best when I serve on a jury. I believe we have a civic responsibility to do that.
About twenty years ago I was on a murder case. That was a very interesting week.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not sure why you felt the need to quote my post, since there was nothing inaccurate in it and I'm not sure you were really responding to it.

Thanks for providing readers the additional information. ( I suspect diversity jurisdiction is way beyond the scope of the topic, but that's ok for now. )(I'm also licensed to practice in both).
Because I've never heard of a "federal court at the state level are called ...". If you are licensed to practice in both, as you say you are, you would know that. You're either in Federal Court, or you're in State Court.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Because I've never heard of a "federal court at the state level are called ...". If you are licensed to practice in both, as you say you are, you would know that. You're either in Federal Court, or you're in State Court.
Looking at the prior post, I certainly could have stated it better. I meant it in a geographic sense. Federal courts with jurisdiction within certain states, (or in some cases parts of states), and located within those states, are called district courts.

And yes, I am so licensed, although I have not had need to practice in federal court for some time.

Last edited by observer53; 01-14-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I was called down there twice and both times were immigration cases involving illegal entry. They'd been deported a few times and then they were caught committing a crime so they had to serve time in the U.S. It was confusing, complicated, boring.
They spent a day talking about the sensors on the border and whether or not a defendant actually crossed the border and set off the alarms. It took three or four days to complete the whole process.
Most of the cases I saw were something to do with the Border Patrol. There was one bunch of jurors that were leaving after a month down there. They had some kind of case involving some kind of land deal gone wrong.
No matter what, I always try to do my best when I serve on a jury. I believe we have a civic responsibility to do that.
About twenty years ago I was on a murder case. That was a very interesting week.
That sounds good, like I said, I'm retired and with travel it's $100 a day for me to show up. Looks like my thread has gone off in another direction

Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That sounds good, like I said, I'm retired and with travel it's $100 a day for me to show up. Looks like my thread has gone off in another direction
Sounds like paid entertainment for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson