Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,637 times

Advertisements

As I am also someone moving to Tucson (in December and there'll be another moving to Tucson thread closer to that time ), I've been trying to research neighborhoods so I don't make a bad geographical decision. I was reading about two years of back posts on here relating to safety of neighborhoods/blocks and I compiled most of that data into a Google Map. Feel free to edit. To edit, you'll need to have a Google account.

Tucson Areas - Google Maps

This is also in the map legend, but here are the pin colors:

Green: Good
Blue: Neutral/Good
Magenta: Neutral/Bad
Red: Bad

The neutral good/bad refer to posts where someone said, "eh, it's ok" or "eh, it's bad"

So, what does everybody think?

Last edited by Radfahren10; 04-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling/Website HTML/Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Wow, impressive!

The most dangerous area in Tucson is the separate (but enclosed by Tucson) City of South Tucson.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
The Tucson crime map that the Daily Star produces offers pretty much what you're putting on here but with more detail, references and much less speculation and opinion.
Arizona Daily Star -- Crime Map

And it seems like you're attempting to conveying generalizations of large areas by these single points (as opposed to overlay rectangles), and generalizing hearsay with areas. Case in point: I lived very near Grant/Country Club and it was a very good neighborhood. It depends on where exactly it is at that intersection, because it varies dramatically on all sides. There are those really sketchy complexes just north of Grant, but the neighborhood behind it is really nice.

Some of your placemarks lack addresses but make obvious references to complexes. It would help to add the address to the description text.

You should also probably censor it. If it's not absolutely necessary to make it PG-13, then there's no reason to let it be.

You may also Wikimapia helpful: Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:39 PM

@sierraAZ: To your reputation comment: No, not paranoid. When I research something I always go overboard and I figured I'd put my findings in map form in case it can benefit someone else.

@coatimundi: Not attempting to convey generalizations, I'm aware that each block is different. The points at intersections are based off of posts saying "near X and X". The addresses were somebody who posted an address and made a comment. What do you mean by 'censor it'?

Naturally, you have to take the entire thing with a grain of salt, but these were simply my findings; some of the posts were a bit old but I included them anyway. It's by no means a de facto indicator of anything, just a loose guide. So if something is incorrect, then go ahead edit or delete the entry.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:22 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
This realtor in the Vegas forum has a map that is really interesting. All areas are either green, yellow, or red. Mostly by zipcode. I think something like the would be better for Tucson. I would avoid TUSD like I would avoid rotten shrimp tacos.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 32,125 times
I would say that 2 of the placemarks are almost opposite. Grant and Alvernon is a pretty bad area and 6th and Park is fine.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:57 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I'm sure you know this, but there are areas withing areas that are good or bad. Meaning, what Sierra said about the City of South Tucson. For example, not all of Casas Adobes is bad. There are some nice areas within it, like the area around Westward Look is nice. You also can explore Foothills, Oro Valley, Marana, Vail, Sahuarita, and other outlying areas that are known to be nice. You didn't include Flowing Wells, which I've heard isn't a great place to be, as is the area around Miracle Mile, but I don't have first hand knowledge of that. Otherwise, good map and it does give a newbie an idea of neighborhoods.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I've seen the AZ crime map, but I wanted to make something a little more general as well as an active collaboration among users that could be of service to future transplants.

@khuntrevor: By avoid TUSD, do you mean the system itself or living near a school? If the former, I'm 25 and single and won't be needing it.

Without getting ahead of myself too much before my main moving post, I've been looking into the cottages/casitas around Tucson. I don't need too much space and I like that they're detached (I had a noisy neighbor at my last apartment) so I don't have to deal with as much noise. Seeing the vibe of some of their locations is hard to gauge by Street View, so are these located in both good and bad areas? Or are they a bad idea to rent?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, impressive!

The most dangerous area in Tucson is the separate (but enclosed by Tucson) City of South Tucson.
Agreed! When I first moved down to Tucson, I drove though South Tucson. All I remember is stopping at a stop sign and hearing some pre-teen girl yell "WHERE'S MY WEED!?!" A few blocks down I saw a street sign that was made out of plywood with the street name spray painted on.

No thanks.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
Not to be too much of a d-bag, but the term for a city like South Tucson (surrounded by another municipality) is "urban enclave."

I go down there quite a bit, usually to eat, and I've never really thought of it as that dangerous. It's got a lot of activity on the street, including families walking around, so I feel comfortable being down there. At night, the drugs and prostitution from the motels on 6th spills out a bit, so I can understand that. I certainly wouldn't walk around much at night down there.
I've always thought the worst area of town was along 29th between Swan and Craycroft, right by the base. Nothing feels safe down there and there's no reason to be down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson