Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all, I was just wondering how humid Tucson summers are? Are Tucson summers as bad as summers in Phoenix and Yuma? Thank you for the replies. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM

171 posts, read 588,561 times
People will say it can be humid at times during the monsoon season, but depending what you are comparing it too it may not be humid at all. For example, we visited Las Vegas during monsoon season and everyone was complaining about how humid it was, but we had to put lotion on because it was so dry to us after living in Georgia for the past few years.

It probably will feel very damp when it is raining and the temperature is high, but it will disperse quickly. Otherwise, I would say no, Tucson is not humid. We will be arriving in a couple weeks and I will not miss fog in the day during the summer.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM

65 posts, read 222,917 times
Our humidity during the monsoon is not even close to the humidity in the S/SE/E United States. However, after living here a few years, you will notice the difference when the humidity rises. I wouldn't call it unbearable by any stretch of the imagination, but you'll notice it. The monsoon only lasts two months, though, and not every day brings storms.

On average, we are cooler than both Yuma and Phoenix, by about 5-10 degrees. Compared to Phoenix at about 1100 feet and Yuma at about 100-150 feet, Tucson sits at about 2400 feet, so our elevation helps cool us down.

I love the weather here, and I was never a big fan of heat. However, after ten years of living here, I have adjusted well. Now I can't stand the cold, and cold for me is anything below 70 degrees. LOL

Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 AM

59 posts, read 89,913 times
I used to live in Tucson and I came back to Tennessee....I have been very sick with Sinus problems in the last year...since November 2009 I went to my doctor ten times and all but one was for sinus problems. I have been given antibiotics that didnt help. Finally my doctor suggested I needed to move back to Arizona...he stated the humidity here in Tennessee is what is keeping my sinus problems inflamed....Since thanksgiving week I have been sick solid and I am now in the third week of not sleeping more than a few hours a night. I remember how warm the summers were but the lower humidity in Arizona is worth the heat..and i did get used to the heat in no time! After living in Arizona and coming back to Tennessee I freeze outside in the winter now! Arizona low humidity did not hurt me at all...compared to Tennessee, Arizona is a paradise in the humidity department!!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,483 times
I would rank summers from worst to best as Yuma, Phoenix, Tucson. Tucson actually beats Phoenix pretty well I think because, not only is it cooler by a few degrees, but it also has been getting more rain during the monsoon in the past few years.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM

126 posts, read 231,602 times
Wow, to me coming from the east and living in Tucson I found it extremely dry, even when they say it is humid. We watch the humidity in our home and saw usually in the 10-20 and 30's. Allergies were horrible for us their and the lack of moisture really dries out your skin. I hope that helps. Monsoon season is so short and humidity really only comes when it rains. It doesn't rain all too often here.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
I agree with the others here (and I've spent a total of 6 weeks in Tucson during the monsoon) - While humidity IS higher in Tucson during the monsoon it still PALES in comparison to other places I've lived (specificallY NY state (Long Island), SW Michigan, Eastern North Dakota). It's also considerably cooler than Phoenix, etc. ONCE IN A WHILE Tucson humidity spikes really high but those spikes are typically very short (maybe an hour or two) before the rain arrives & REALLY cools things off (feels GREAT!!!). Personally I LOVE the monsoon months in Tucson (my favorite time of the year down there actually).

Ken

Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
About the worst the humidity will get, is it'll make your beverage glass sweat. The humidity is nothing compared to FL, GA, MS, AL, etc., in the summer. Those places, to me, are oppressive. MI, IL, IN, OH and those states are also oppressive. Humidity in Tucson is fleeting during the 3-4 storms we have each summer, and then it's back to dry again. But, the humidity is refreshing, as are the rains. I enjoy standing on my balcony watching the monsoon, and not getting wet, just enjoying! I also like that they tend to occur at night, so your day is clear and dry. It makes the lightning in the desert so much more beautiful.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I'm from the great lakes region and now living in the south. Summers are very humid in both places.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,710,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I'm from the great lakes region and now living in the south. Summers are very humid in both places.
BEWARE, Winter_Sucks . . .

In addition to much less or even no humidity compared to your previous homes, you're gonna miss the bugs . . . especially those damn mosquitos the size of small cats.

By the way, WELCOME to Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson