Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 40,661 times

Advertisements

I am a 26 year old who is thinking about moving to Tucson from Chicago. I am very confused and not sure what to do. I visit Tucson all the time, have family there, and know the area. I am very social and like to go out. I know Tucson does not offer the "nightlife" that Chicago does but I am looking for a slower pace of life.

Love the weather and all the outdoor activities Tucson offers.

Already have a job just need to make the decision ASAP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightmove6 View Post
I am a 26 year old who is thinking about moving to Tucson from Chicago. I am very confused and not sure what to do. I visit Tucson all the time, have family there, and know the area. I am very social and like to go out. I know Tucson does not offer the "nightlife" that Chicago does but I am looking for a slower pace of life.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Well, we don't know ya and we can't tell ya... If you can live with weather alone, welcome aboard! Me thinks you'll regret it, though. Then again, if you happen to come across the right people for you it may not be too bad. You're pretty young. If you like mingling with the college crowd, you'll have fun.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Interesting question, Mightmove.

Naturally, due to the size alone, Tucson is not going to compare to Chicago as far as the quantity of nightlife is concerned.

However, QUALITY is more important than QUANTITY as far as I'm concerned. The fantastic weather alone makes outdoor activities more available year 'round so maybe your nightlife will change for the better!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
i lived in NY --> Tucson --> NY , now going to Marana.

its's a college/retirement city. if your crowd is one of these two then you'll be fine. there should be more stuff to do in the sw. AZ offers deserts with the coldness of chicago just a few hours north.

but why tucson? why not phoenix? much much more of a city, more chicago-like than tucson.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 40,661 times
thanks for the feeback! tucson b/c of a job, already have an offer. i know that tucson is not chicago, just want to make sure i am able to meet people around my age..that i wont be sitting home eveything alone. i know its all what you make of a situation though and i think i am up for the challenge!

Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM

713 posts, read 1,461,539 times
Quote:
thanks for the feeback! tucson b/c of a job, already have an offer. i know that tucson is not chicago, just want to make sure i am able to meet people around my age..that i wont be sitting home eveything alone. i know its all what you make of a situation though and i think i am up for the challenge!
job relo or new job? if its a new job than the "alike" job ratio will be 10:1 (ten of those jobs in phoenix to every one of them in tucson)

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
i lived in tucson for a bit, but everyone I knew would go to Mexico to party. I am sure there are a few places to go to, but prolly more around the University...

Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
i lived in tucson for a bit, but everyone I knew would go to Mexico to party.
Would those folks be between the age of 18 and 21 by any chance...?! Because that would be a valid reason.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 82,505 times
Default My personal advice...

...is to stay in the Midwest. I am in my mid-20s, so I relate to your situation.

If you're looking for a slower pace of life, you have it right there in Illinois. There are plenty of small towns there and in surrounding states that offer less traffic and stress than Tucson would. Believe me, Tucson might seem slower when compared to Chicago, but if you try to take Speedway home during rush hour, it won't be much different. Plus, you might get the finger or a few dirty looks from other drivers.

And you are absolutely correct about the nightlife. Chicago is a very fun city to go out in. Navy Pier is very charming and I've always had a blast going there during my visits. Tucson, on the other hand, has a block or two of decent clubs and bars, which are mostly frequented by college kids, and boy are they an interesting group. I especially enjoy the drunk 21-year-old males who interpret an innocent glance as a threat to their manhood. But before I generalize, let's move on.

I say good luck on your move, and hopefully it all works out for you. Perhaps my situation is different from yours, but to me, Chicago (and the midwest) looks pretty appealing in comparison to Tucson. Climate and geography can only account for so much when you have to start dealing with the finer details of how the city operates.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 20,644 times
Default Moving to Tucson at 26.

If you are not associated with either university or the medical professions it's a bit of a closed society socially if you are a professional and single and straight.

There is a very vibrant GLBT community.

Jobs are much lower paying than other places.

My daughter moved her with me (35) and after 6 months escaped to LA in the Desert (Phoenix).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson