Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM

439 posts, read 959,376 times

Advertisements

Hi..

Yes I am finally tired of all the rocks in my back yard and wish to establish a small pad of grass.

After looking into the ridiculous prices for the fake stuff, plus my doggies would not be impressed I have decided to go it myself.

Sod is out of the question since it appears all that is available in this area is bermuda. I came to detest this type in Virginia as it spread like a weed and became very matted and seemed to be in a seed mode most of the time.

However looks like the evil bermuda seems to be the only thing that will survive in our heat? I am a little cooler up by Saddlebrook so maybe a mixture of something else?

So now it is October and I want to get started. Looks like a Rye blend will work until the heat hits.

I am curious as to others going down this path and their success's or failures.

Yes I know I live in the desert scape environment, and water is an issue. I do have plenty of other environmentally correct vegetation

Ever notice all the grass you see in yards and commercial complexes in the Phoenix area with their heat, crazy.

Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
When I lived in Tempe, because I am allergic to bermuda grass, we planted St. Augustine grass. If you plant cuttings, they will spread.

However, I have no idea how water restrictions or water costs in Tucson may impact your choice. Perhaps other posters can help.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Planting GRASS, regardless of the type, in the Desert Southwest is nothing more than Declaring War on Mother Nature.

. . . guess who is gonna WIN?

Old 10-18-2016, 10:39 AM

439 posts, read 959,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Planting GRASS, regardless of the type, in the Desert Southwest is nothing more than Declaring War on Mother Nature.

. . . guess who is gonna WIN?
Point well taken however I am willing to try and face the consequences, reason why I wish to seed instead of sod, $$$.

We maintained a nice patch of the real green stuff when we lived up this way many years ago and it did fine, just can't remember the mixture.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 PM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
Since golf has been a big business around these parts, the U of Arizona has a Turfgrass Research, Education, and Extension program through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and university extension. You might be able to find out something good at their website and at the Karsten Turfgrass Research facility on Roger Road. When I lived in town, I would go to the extension weekly gardening talks at the campus agricultural center together with the turf facility there.

Turfgrass Research, Education and Extension at The University of Arizona

The Karsten Turfgrass Reseach Facility at The University of Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson