Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM

17 posts, read 45,732 times

Advertisements

We have just retired on modest pensions on Tucson's east side. Some first impressions, after having visited Tucson infrequently over the years - our in-laws live here and my partner grew up here.
1. Spectacular views greet me morning and night for dog walks in our quiet, safe single family neighborhood near a highly rated public high school - never boring, great place for retirement - so far!
2. No nearby freeway - so no noise and pollution, only the distant sound of the major arterials, spaced around a grid system of mile-square neighborhoods.
3. Bike and environment friendly place, but those major arterials are pretty far from being pedestrian and bike-friendly enough . . .city leaders seem to understand and are moving in the right direction. A streetcar system is beginning in the downtown and hopefully will one day reach our area . . .
4. Moderate to liberal city - our friends in Oregon couldn't believe we were moving to a state with so much conservative controversy, but Tucson is more progressive, more neighborhood-oriented, less development frenzied - nice, but still large enough to have decent urban amenities. Great bookstores - Antigones, Bookmans - almost as good as Portland's Powells Books.
5. House styles, at least for our 1970s ranch, are unique to Portland - no cookie cutter here. Lots of nice masonry and slump block, very low roof lines to see the mountains, most homes have pools - Newer homes are often energy efficient and nicely designed, although plenty of housing variety and excellent prices make Tucson a great buy for retirees or folks raising families too. Like Portland, alot of older neighborhoods without proper sidewalks, but our area has them plus great alleyways and washes to walk the dogs.
7. Diversity, history, place - native, Sonoran, Anglo. Awesome, feels like a good mix.
8. Feels safe and friendly, but also urbane and hip. Crime stats are average for a city of this size, could be better, could be worse. A bit of grafitti, much less than Europe, less than most American cities. . .
9. Nice historic downtown and barrio, with lots of upgrades from the Rio Nuevo project - actually, lots of good from this under-rated project that has been controversial in the media.
10. Its starting to feel like home - visited the Retablo exhibit at the U of A today - what a great city to now call home! I'll check in with updates (after the honeymoon wears off), and would love to hear other comments from recent retirees especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 10:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Thanks for sharing your insights. All the best to you.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 AM

119 posts, read 293,059 times
We hope to join you soon! the taxes in the state of Wisconsin are so high they will bleed your retirement budget away!. They upped our property tax this year by $3000.! I think paying $12,000 a year in tax on a 4 bedroom home is way too high!. I know Arizona will be more affordable!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Default Taxes

Thanks for the welcome. For the reply from Wisconsin, I attended college in Beloit and enjoyed it very much, but those were different times. Compared to Oregon, where we've moved from, the income tax here is a bit lower, but there is a stiff sales tax (not on groceries though), which we didn't have in Oregon. I don't believe there is a cap on property tax here, like in Oregon or California, but I think the rates sound much lower than what you mentioned for Wisconsin. In any case, best of luck to you!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM

135 posts, read 342,017 times
Great post - it's so nice to hear positive comments about Tucson. Personally, I never get tired of the sunsets. What neighborhood did you choose? Just curious.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 AM

We looked all around town with some pretty tight parameters - had to be affordable, we need a decent in-ground pool, neighborhood needs to be reasonably quiet and good for dog-walking and biking. We ended up on the outer east side near Saguaro High School. The area was built-out pretty much in the 60s and 70s, close to Tanque Verde, Broadway and Speedway shopping and to the Catalinas and the Rincons. My inlaws are about 4 miles away and other family near Oro Valley. Like everywhere during these difficult economic times, there are some vacant storefronts out this way, but seems pretty stable with a mix of working families and retired people from what I can make out. Friendly neighbors, some decent local restaurants, a good selection of grocery stores within a mile or so. I'll miss the older historic home we left behind in Oregon, of course. We also lived in San Diego for many years, which is reasonably nearby should we want to visit old friends.
What part of town are you in?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM

854 posts, read 1,702,315 times
banddranch, I'm curious if you are into fishing at all? If so, what type of fishing is in the area, and how far do you need to drive? Thanks.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,457 times
Default Tucson

Visited this weekend. Loved north part - especially Oro Valley and saddleback Ranch. But where does a single guy meet late 40s and 50s women?

Last edited by kohigh; 06-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Fishing at Patagonia Lake and several others in the nearby mountain ranges, but I'm too new to know much yet. Anyone? Partner's brother lives off Oracle Rd near Oro Valley and loves it there. Can't help you with that other question :>)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohigh View Post
Visited this weekend. Loved north part - especially Oro Valley and saddleback Ranch. But where does a single guy meet late 40s and 50s women?
Well you certainly won't find women in their 40s at Saddlebrooke Ranch as it is a retirment community . But yes both area's are very nice. I have lived in Oro Valley for 20 years and love it here. As for meeting people in general get involved in groups of whatever hobbies/interest that you have. If you enjoy golf there are plenty of golf courses to go play and hang out at. Go to Meetup.com (NOT a dating site), find groups of people with similar interest for just about anything you like or do. I have a pug dog, and there is a meetup group for people who are owned by pugs. Volunteering is a great way to meet people when new to an area. If you are a church going person get involved in a church, they will always have a variety of social gatherings. Main thing is to just get involved in things/groups that interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson