Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 20,740 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make the move to Tucson from Southlake, TX. It will be probably in a month or two if its a done deal. A little nervous about the whole thing. I am looking for suggestions that are most similar to what we live in. I honestly have never stepped foot in Tucson BUT we did live in Arizona before this, about six years ago. We lived in N Scottsdale and Cave Creek area there. My main focus is family friendly and schools being we have a young elementary age girl. I don't totally care about nightlife. I am reading lots of these threads but figured I would go ahead and start my own. Thanks for suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
I look forward to the replies you get. We live 15 minutes from Southlake and are planning to move to Tucson next year. We are doing this voluntarily as our entire family loves Tucson and I work from home and can live anywhere. I think you'll find Tucson will be significantly smaller and a slower pace than DFW. That's very appealing to us but maybe not to everyone.

I am a University of Arizona graduate and look forward to being in and around the school. We are planning to move to the Foothills area, for the beauty and the quality of schools. Our kids are middle school age and you're going to hear a lot about "District 16" for schools.

I also assume you'll hear a lot of people talk about Oro Valley, which is a community built north of Tucson. It's new and has a lot of families, new construction and new stores, etc. For us that wasn't as appealing only because it feels like any suburb and we are choosing to move to Tucson for the "Tucson experience" and that's why we zeroed in on the Foothills. Again, that opinion may be controversial, but that was after spending a couple days looking at houses in both areas and is simply our preference. To each their own!

Best of luck in your move, I hope you guys like it!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
I lived in the DFW area for many years and am familiar with Southlake. "The most similar" would be Oro Valley. The Foothills area is lovely; to me that would be more comparable to N. Scottsdale and Cave Creek, for a reference you can relate to.

Last edited by CheyDee; 04-04-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Thanks so much ladies... I was hoping someone would be familiar with my areas listed to help me a little more. Those are the two areas I was starting to lean towards after reading these forums. Just needed some confirmations. My child didn't ever go to school in Arizona she was too young when we left so that makes it trickier now. I think that we might rent at first.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasazcat View Post
I am a University of Arizona graduate and look forward to being in and around the school. We are planning to move to the Foothills area, for the beauty and the quality of schools. Our kids are middle school age and you're going to hear a lot about "District 16" for schools.
Dallasazcat... is District 16 a school district? or an area? I have seen it on here some but its confusing. Most other boards seem to focus on other areas in the metroplex.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txblondie99 View Post
Dallasazcat... is District 16 a school district? or an area? I have seen it on here some but its confusing. Most other boards seem to focus on other areas in the metroplex.
It is a school district, also know as Catalina Foothills School District or Foothills School District for short. All the same place.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM

101 posts, read 247,862 times
I wouldn't rule out the Vail area, it is a bit on the outskirts of Tucson but it has the best school district in the state.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
I wouldn't rule out the Vail area, it is a bit on the outskirts of Tucson but it has the best school district in the state.
Sorry, but I don't think Vail is anything at all like a desert version of Southlake. I would compare Vail more to..... maybe Wylie, but with better schools.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 AM

101 posts, read 247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Sorry, but I don't think Vail is anything at all like a desert version of Southlake. I would compare Vail more to..... maybe Wylie, but with better schools.

Sorry I wasn't trying to say that it compared to Southlake as I've never been there so I have no idea of what that area is like. I was just mearly stating that if you want to be in the best school district for your elementary age children then you might want to check out Vail as it is the best in the state.

Good luck in your search.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks to all.. I appreciate all opinions. If it does end up to be Tucson they want us in, I do feel I have been pointed in the right direction! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson