Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:14 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,480,345 times

Advertisements

We have 6 mesquite trees along the rear of the house, they provide great shade during the summer shed there leaves winter and have spikes to snag you.
They grow like a weed require almost no maintenance.
Natural desert vegetation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,494 times
Default Fair enough

Everyone has their own preference. Mine is not here, but unfortunately the job market has chained me here for at least 1-2 more years, but as someone in their mid 20s, I don't see the point of living in a desert thats gonna run out of water eventually if the growth is unrestrained.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:23 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Plant trees. I've got large shade trees, two eucalyptus about 60' and a huge mesquite (40; ball). It's taken about 10 years and a lot of water to get them that size. Mesquites are usually OK with HOA and the Chilean variety grows like a weed if you water it. Being native trees they can take the heat and the cold. Unfortunately, they are messy too. I planted a sisou and a tipu last year and they both are growing pretty rapidly and will shade my new patio extension. Looks like about 5 years before they will make a big difference Some of these tree varieties are way too big for the average lot (my lot is about 20K sf.). Mesquite would be my choice for most situations.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Everyone has their own preference. Mine is not here, but unfortunately the job market has chained me here for at least 1-2 more years, but as someone in their mid 20s, I don't see the point of living in a desert thats gonna run out of water eventually if the growth is unrestrained.
In defense of what you are saying; the Phx area has gotten too big for me------I liked it a whole lot better back in 1990 when I first arrived.

As for Tucson; it has all of Phx's liabilities IMHO (relatively expensive housing, crowding, etc) with a few drawbacks of its own-------poor road connections, even lower wages, etc.

What is killing the Midwest from what I was told......even leaving out the bad weather......is the job market there has collapsed------especially Michigan.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:50 AM

799 posts, read 2,170,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In defense of what you are saying; the Phx area has gotten too big for me------I liked it a whole lot better back in 1990 when I first arrived.

As for Tucson; it has all of Phx's liabilities IMHO (relatively expensive housing, crowding, etc) with a few drawbacks of its own-------poor road connections, even lower wages, etc.

What is killing the Midwest from what I was told......even leaving out the bad weather......is the job market there has collapsed------especially Michigan.
You're absolutely right.
I am from the midwest and I interviewed all over, and finally FINALLY found a job at home.
We have water up here, so why is job growth down there?
It has been said it is because of the population growth, but I read Tucson is 48% Mexicans, so that's the job growth?
Oh, and the retirees coming there too.
I don't like tourist towns.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM

49 posts, read 146,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
You're absolutely right.
I am from the midwest and I interviewed all over, and finally FINALLY found a job at home.
We have water up here, so why is job growth down there?
It has been said it is because of the population growth, but I read Tucson is 48% Mexicans, so that's the job growth?
Oh, and the retirees coming there too.
I don't like tourist towns.
The job growth isn't because we're "48% Mexicans", it's because the Midwest has crappy weather that everyone wants to escape. By the way, those "Mexicans" you speak of are actually "Americans", and contrary to the popular ignorant racist's belief, very few are illegal aliens or working menial jobs.

Also, there may be a water "crisis", but I've never gone thirsty.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Default job growth

Its pretty simple, retirees are moving here because they can suck a few more years out of their life because of the climate and people move out here to do all of the construction and services for them, as a result this area has more people than it can naturally support. Eventually I'm sure that we will be growing so much that the Colorado will start shrinking and the farming area around Yuma won't get the water it needs. Large populations should be where there is large amounts of fresh water.
Oh yeah and whomever says the weather sucks has no appreciation for variety and must enjoy sunburns.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Its pretty simple, retirees are moving here because they can suck a few more years out of their life because of the climate and people move out here to do all of the construction and services for them, as a result this area has more people than it can naturally support. Eventually I'm sure that we will be growing so much that the Colorado will start shrinking and the farming area around Yuma won't get the water it needs. Large populations should be where there is large amounts of fresh water.
Oh yeah and whomever says the weather sucks has no appreciation for variety and must enjoy sunburns.
I hate the possibility of frostbite------one has to cover up in the cold country for that reason.

Pick your poison: you prefer the '4 seasons'-------I vastly prefer (slightly) warmer summers sans harsh winters!

I am a DC native so I know of what I speak of

Old 09-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Cold Tolerance

D.C. ??? Are you kidding me???? I lived in Michigan and its much colder, and I can tell you this once its 100 degrees outside you can't do anything, let alone the intensity of the sunlight, so from May to September or October its too hot to do anything.

Plus when you're outside in the heat you always need a layer on to protect your skin from the sun, which is more insulation that makes you sweat more and need more water. Cold weather.... a little more insulation and you're fine, and you won't get so dehydrated that it will kill you.

My gf's brother lives in Boston and shares the same sentiment as me.

Again its all personal preference but when it comes to temperature, to me its common sense, and again too many people live out in this desert for what it supports.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 PM

683 posts, read 2,652,709 times
Quote:
Maybe all those unemployed people up in Michigan could start digging the ditch from the Great Lakes to Arizona. We could use the water and they could use the jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson