Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 02:43 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,863,202 times

Advertisements

This is a very touchy subject in the greater Pima County area and specifically in Green Valley where many (over 100) of the roads and neighborhood streets fall into the "failed" category. The obvious thing that came out of the meeting was that the County has failed in doing it's job of maintaining the roads. We had 20 year residents at the meeting who told stories of NEVER seeing any maintenance on their streets. The County is still spending millions of dollars (19.x million this year) to pay for work that was done 20+ years ago. You pay and pay and pay and pay your taxes and you get NOTHING for it. Also, the State government is guilty of redirecting large sums of "Road" money to other things, so even if gas taxes are raised which is where the bulk of road repair funds come from, the State will redirect a large amount of it. It is enough to drive a person to the edge of sanity!!! Here are links to some short videos from that meeting.

District 4 Supervisor Steve Christy opening the meeting: https://youtu.be/r_NNnaNfPnc
Transportation Advisory Committee Chairperson Lucretia Free: https://youtu.be/5uoYd-C2-_M
President of Green Valley Council Don Weaver: https://youtu.be/Rzxx0pgw-Lg
Supervisor Steve Christy Closing the meeting: https://youtu.be/x8tc1Y8ZPck

Feel free to view and comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:27 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Maintaining roads doesn't seem to be a priority in a good part of the Tucson area, but I'm fine with that, I had read enough about Tucson before moving here from Las Vegas to know many of the streets are far from perfect, so I knew what I was getting into.

I'm beginning to enjoy the zany liberalness of Tucson, and after 22 years in conservative Las Vegas, I'll tolerate the road conditions here with a smile and a bicycle. I was passing by 1st Ave. & Grant the other day, new roadways, and some spectacular art works, the money spent on that might have repaved any number of neighborhood streets. But, I love, love it! The eclectic priorities! And given the small size of this city, whoa! Even a light rail train! Las Vegas doesn't even have a light rail line on the drawing board!

Given the road conditions in Tucson, I bought into a community near Swan/Grant and with all the conveniences within 2 blocks of my house, (Fry's and Trader Joe's for groceries), 10 restaurants and an 11-screen movie house, and the Tucson Medical Center caddy corner from my community, I won't be using the streets in this city very often. And I've also got a Senior Bus Pass, 75 cents a ride.

So, you might want to consider living somewhere where you're less dependent on using the roads, as it doesn't look like the priorities here are going to change.

Obviously, with lots of wealthy people in the Tucson area, million dollar, multi-million dollar homes, the road conditions are not stopping the wealthy from moving here. What does that tell you?

Last edited by tijlover; 09-10-2018 at 11:50 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Maintaining roads doesn't seem to be a priority in a good part of the Tucson area, but I'm fine with that, I had read enough about Tucson before moving here from Las Vegas to know many of the streets are far from perfect, so I knew what I was getting into.

I'm beginning to enjoy the zany liberalness of Tucson, and after 22 years in conservative Las Vegas, I'll tolerate the road conditions here with a smile and a bicycle. I was passing by 1st Ave. & Grant the other day, new roadways, and some spectacular art works, the money spent on that might have repaved any number of neighborhood streets. But, I love, love it! The eclectic priorities! And given the small size of this city, whoa! Even a light rail train! Las Vegas doesn't even have a light rail line on the drawing board!

Given the road conditions in Tucson, I bought into a community near Swan/Grant and with all the conveniences within 2 blocks of my house, (Fry's and Trader Joe's for groceries), 10 restaurants and an 11-screen movie house, and the Tucson Medical Center caddy corner from my community, I won't be using the streets in this city very often. And I've also got a Senior Bus Pass, 75 cents a ride.

So, you might want to consider living somewhere where you're less dependent on using the roads, as it doesn't look like the priorities here are going to change.

Obviously, with lots of wealthy people in the Tucson area, million dollar, multi-million dollar homes, the road conditions are not stopping the wealthy from moving here. What does that tell you?

Please see my reply on the new thread called: Proposition 463 - Regional Road Reconstruction, Preservation and Repair.

It seems that you and I come at this issue from opposing viewpoints. I feel the our "leaders" should be addressing core responsibilities such as infrastructure before spending money on "nice to haves" like art. It is sad to me that Pima County generally and Tucson specifically are known for their poor roads.

You have told us that you live in a location where you will not have to be on the roads much which is nice for you. I appreciate your invitation to move to a more walkable location like where you live, but that is not what everyone wants. I have to drive on two failed roads to get out of my neighborhood to get anywhere, one of those failed roads being the street I live on. This also impacts the value of my home. The bottom line is that it is the responsibility of the County to maintain our roads and it is not getting done. We pay taxes to cover this maintenance...........where did the money go????

Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I empathize with your dilemma. It's my understanding that there's HOA fees for much of Green Valley, but the HOA doesn't maintain the roads. In my HOA community we have some of the best streets in Tucson, all newly paved, but! We pay $200 a month in HOA dues for that luxury.

Is it at all possible to have Pima county exempt Green Valley from road taxes and then pay higher HOA dues to maintain the roads?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I empathize with your dilemma. It's my understanding that there's HOA fees for much of Green Valley, but the HOA doesn't maintain the roads. In my HOA community we have some of the best streets in Tucson, all newly paved, but! We pay $200 a month in HOA dues for that luxury.

Is it at all possible to have Pima county exempt Green Valley from road taxes and then pay higher HOA dues to maintain the roads?

I actually live in a non HOA area, so it is a County responsibility to maintain the roads. After speaking to neighbors who have been here for decades, there has been virtually NO maintenance for close to 30 years. So we do not have to wonder why the roads are in poor and failed condition, but we do have to wonder why there has been no maintenance for 30 years. How does that happen? How do you blow off taxpayers for decades and get away with it? I have been working with the GVC (Green Valley Council) as well as our district 4 Supervisor for over a year and a half trying to get some traction on this issue. Other people have tried to get roads addressed and given up or died while waiting for action, and that may happen to me as well if this bond measure does not pass. But for now, I am alive and kicking and I have not yet given up. Again, I urge a YES vote on Proposition 463 - Regional Road Reconstruction, Preservation and Repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson