Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 20,893 times

Advertisements

Hey- I was just trying to get people's thoughts on if it is possible to survive in Tucson without a car. How would you rate public trans and biking around the city?

Last edited by Wilco1971; 10-14-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco1971 View Post
Hey- I was just trying to get people's thought on if it is possible to survive in Tucson without a car. How would you rate public trans and biking around the city?
Depending on your Employment vs Home situation, Wilco . . . DEFINITELY DOABLE.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Default help

Just wondering what everyone likes about Tucson(weather,people,lifesyle ect..) and where would be the best place to live without a car? I really want a quite/unique part of town? thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Just wondering what everyone likes about Tucson(weather,people,lifesyle ect..) and where would be the best place to live without a car? I really want a quite/unique part of town? thanks
I am not sure that quiet/unique work with carless in Tucson. Most of the quiet areas are, by definition going to have less public transportation and most unique areas are not all that quiet (assuming unique = somewhat quirky).

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I am not sure that quiet/unique work with carless in Tucson. Most of the quiet areas are, by definition going to have less public transportation and most unique areas are not all that quiet (assuming unique = somewhat quirky).
Ok I guess I could have been clearer. I was looking for a area that does have character (quirky). I just want a area that does not look like every other suburb from hell.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Quote:
Ok I guess I could have been clearer. I was looking for a area that does have character (quirky). I just want a area that does not look like every other suburb from hell.
I would look around the UA area, heading east of there and between oh, say Speedway & 22nd and north along the 1st Ave corridor up to the Tucson mall. Those have the advantage of being near major streets (hence major bus lines) and there is a lot of shopping and dining near those areas.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,002,280 times
It's possible to be carless in Tucson. I was forced to do it for awhile when I lived there. It can be difficult at times, but not impossible.

BTW as much as people "love" mass transit all over the place, I wonder if some of these people who hate cars so much even work for a living. Ever applied for a job and said you didn't have "reliable transportation"? I know mass transit is not as great in Tucson as other parts of the country, but I just wonder how realistic people are at times.

Last edited by swbrotha100; 10-18-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM

867 posts, read 723,566 times
I can't really comment on the "quirky" neighborhoods, unfortunately, but I've just signed a lease for a place way out on Speedway, beyond Kolb; I'll be commuting in to the University for work.

The task seems manageable*: the route (4) passes by many shopping areas, though I suspect I will have to go farther afield for some things, such as maybe a hairdresser. The buses are clean. The drivers I encountered, as well as many of the passengers, are pleasant, friendly, and helpful. There was always a bike or two on the rack in the front from any of a variety of people (ranging from young students to middle-aged professionals). I do wonder about the feasibility of biking during the brutal summer months, but surely it can be done.

Good luck!

*At least, I hope it is! I did just sign a 6-month lease.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,111 times
Been in Tucson since 2007, have a family, and haven't had a car the entire time. It really isn't that hard here. You really want to stay closer to downtown as that's where the only really accessible neighborhoods that aren't endless suburbs are. You are going to want to look at neighborhoods like West University, Armory Park, Dunbar-Spring, Barrio Viejo, Miles, and Pie Allen. All these neigborhoods have great character, are not the dreaded suburbs from hell, are all walkable, easily accessible to things like groceries, and have great connections to bikeways. While the bus service (Suntran) isn't that great the bicycling community is fantastic here. There are several bikeways and most of downtown is much easier to navigate with a bike than a car. If you do bike there are several local bicycle communities too. If you live in these downtown neighborhoods you would rarely even need to use the bus, as most things aren't out of biking distance and things aren't very far in general (unless you want to get to the suburbs, but at that point everything is far away).

Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM

8 posts, read 11,714 times
Moderator cut: rude Not having a car in Tucson means you would have to pretty much live in the downtown area, but there will be the new low-speed, heavily government subsidized light rail system available. You could get a job on 4th street.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-26-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson