Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,438 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am moving from New York to Tucson in about two weeks and wanted to greet you all. I got a job at Raytheon and I am so excited to start the next chapter of my life. I am a fresh graduate from college and would like any advice that you guys can offer me: living areas/neighborhoods, life pro tips, etc.

I would also love to meet some new friends so feel free to shoot me a message. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,311 times
#1: I don't know where in New York you are moving from, but if it's New York City, then prepare for a huge change in lifestyle. The pace of life in Tucson is slow!

#2: Embrace "Tucson" and don't try to make Tucson into someplace else. This seems obvious, but a lot of people fall into this trap and they end up hating Tucson for it. Get to know the Sonoran desert, learn the rich history of the region, pick up a little Spanish, spend a lot of time exploring, eat local, etc., and you will probably learn to love it. Too many people build a wall around themselves, plant a lawn, and only try to find food, drink and culture that reminds them of their home - this is a recipe for failure in Tucson and everyone I know that "hates" Tucson has followed this path.

#3: Neighborhoods. This is very dependent on who you are, and how much (or how little) you want to spend. Knowing all that I know (i.e.: you are a young person looking for some new experiences), I'd say to stick to the 4th Avenue, Downtown and Barrio districts. This is where you will find the most activity, more young people looking to be social, etc.. Many people write the 4th Avenue/Downtown area off as a "bar scene," but it is much more than that and is really the only truly vibrant neighborhood scene in all of Tucson. Going back to point #2, I'd recommend avoiding the large home developments that Tucsonans seem to flock too - they are a great way to insulate yourself, and that's about it.

#4: Get outside. Get on a bike, or buy some hiking or running shoes or whatever floats your boat (oh yeah, get a small boat, plenty of nearby lakes if you're up for a drive). The magic of the area is in the outdoors and as per point #2, that's the ticket for falling in love with Tucson. Some of the world's best cycling (as evidenced by the influx of professional riders who train here every winter), best hiking, etc.. Plenty of amazing trails ranging from wide, paved river trails to forested hiking trails to expert-level mountain-bike trails, etc. are within a short trip from town.

#5: Road Trips! Drive down to Sonoita for some great wine (yeah, I know.) Get out to Tombstone and have a little kitschy fun in the "Wild West." Take a three-day weekend and hit San Diego, or Las Vegas. Get down to Mexico (you'll only be about an hour from the border - and this border is nothing like the Canadian one). Go up and explore Phoenix. Check out one of the largest pine forests in the country in the White Mountains. Get up to Sedona and Flagstaff and check out 12,000 foot tall mountain peaks. Be surprised at your skiing options in the winter. Go tubing in the Salt River and fly fishing on the Black. Go have fun in New Mexico. Etcetera ... the changes in the scenery available to you are mind-blowing in contrast to anyplace in New York.

#6: See point #2! Not to beat a dead-horse, but the whole point here is that you really have to make Tucson your own, and love it for what it is. Tucson is a quirky town, with less going on then it's size would seem to dictate. But the stuff that is happening tends to be better quality stuff than the average stuff in other cities, so if you take the time to find what you like you should be pleasantly surprised.

#7: Just forget "old culture." If you like operas, symphonies and large-scale play productions, Tucson will let you down. You can get up to Phoenix for a moderate improvement, but - really - you'll likely find yourself taking trips to New York to indulge those tendencies. But if you like "new culture" there's plenty to embrace - a great local music scene, a strong arts community, etc..

#8: Use lots of sunscreen, and have fun!

Old 06-04-2014, 04:31 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Get a place with a garage and lock everything up. Even lock the bikes up in a closed garage. Tucson has the highest crime rate in the State. They lowered their crime rate several years ago by not having officers respond to theft and vandalism. If they hadnt done that their crime rate would be much higher than it is. I'm up in Washington now..I left my lawnmower sitting next to the alley all night...you couldnt do that in Tucson and expect to see it again.

Tucson isnt too far from San Diego as Suckson mentioned. I did a three day trip in January. There are also a lot of flights out of Tucson International. I flew from Seattle and back for less than $250 last year.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,438 times
Thank you for the kind replies. I definitely do plan on embracing the specialties Tucson has to offer; I plan on buying a nice bicycle, hiking and camping gear. I came across an old post and found someone's list of apartments he wanted to check out:1. The Flats at Julian Drew Block - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Homepage - The Flats at Julian Drew Block
Pros: Location, close to Raytheon and downtown.
Cons: No washer and dryer I believe. Maybe a lot of students living there.

2. La Entrada - La Entrada Apartments - Home
Pros: Location seems great.
Cons: Possibly too many student neighbors? I've read that parking isn't the best.

3. The Condos at Williams Centre - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Home - Condominium at Williams Centre
Pros: Location seems somewhat central as you have suggested.
Cons: Thin walls, a little more than I would prefer to pay.

4. The Springs at Contintental Ranch - Tucson Arizona Apartments - Home - Springs At Continental Ranch
Pros: Closer to grocery stores and typical suburban stuff I'm used to. Nice pool.
Cons: Further away from Raytheon. Might be too many middle-aged married couples living there for me to make new friends?

5. The Springs at Silverbell - The Springs at Silverbell Apartments in Tucson, AZ
Pros: Slightly closer than Continental Ranch.
Cons: Reviews are mixed. Not sure if this is a good area or not.

6. One North Fifth - one north fifth : new. modern. urban. apartments.
Pros: Awesome looking modern apartments! Location is great.
Cons: No idea what the cost will be. No pool. It's hot as hell out there...I think I might want a pool at some point.

7. Academy Lofts - www.academylofts.com
Pros: Great looking apartments. Location. Pretty good size apartments.
Cons: No idea what cost will be and no pool.

8. Encantada - Encantada at Riverside Crossing | Luxury Apartment Homes in Tucson, AZ
Pros: Look super nice. Close to bike trails.
Cons: Expensive.

This was posted 2 years ago so it may be outdated but I am going to take a look at them. It seems the main consensus is to rent an apartment/condo and not a house. Is there a particular reason for this? Also I am looking into closer options, but am finding craigslist to be extremely cluttered. Any tips?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:27 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Take a look at Walkscore and their site will show quite a few apartment buildings. Most of the newer buildings have central air conditioning. The intersection of Wilmot and Speedway is attractive and their are several apartment buildings nearby. There is a Trader Joes and Starbucks in one corner of the intersection. There are also quite a few restaurants along Wilmot down Tanque Verde. This is the eastside of town. Use google maps and street view to give you an idea of the area. One of the complaints about downtown is there isnt a supermarket really close. Your commute to Raytheon might be a concern so check that out also on google. I have a friend that lives at Tanque Verde and Sabino Canyon that bought a house there and doesnt mind the commute.

Apartments Search - Walk Score

Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM

612 posts, read 1,021,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesise View Post
It seems the main consensus is to rent an apartment/condo and not a house. Is there a particular reason for this? Also I am looking into closer options, but am finding craigslist to be extremely cluttered. Any tips?
I think the reason for recommended an apartment over a house is due to the aging stock of houses commonly rented by younger people. If you don't mind an older home, though, that's not a problem. Most of the new construction in Tucson is pretty junky anyhow - stucco and chicken wire over 2x4's painted some degree of beige with cheap carpet and IKEA fittings. The older homes can be brick, block or - if you're lucky - adobe, with some architectural flair that is often lacking in newer homes, saltillo tiles or wood floors, etc.. Much nicer, I think. It's personal preference, obviously, but a small home in the 4th Avenue area, Armory Park or similar location will put you right in the middle of things versus right in the middle of an apartment complex.

Not to be one-sided, though, I will say that many apartment communities in Tucson are like mini resorts and that can be a lot of fun. I lived in the Condos at Williams Centre for 3 years and enjoyed it quite a bit (I would also disagree about the thin walls there - we never had noise issues). If that type of thing is to your liking, maybe check out some of the Foothills area complexes as well - The Legends at La Paloma, for example, was a very fun place to live. My primary complaint about these communities for someone new to Tucson is that they are usually removed from the public space and they can therefore be very insular, making it harder to really get in touch with your new city.

There are also apartment/duplex/studio and guesthouse rentals available near downtown quite often, and also some brand-new construction apartment buildings right downtown, which is new for Tucson since it was only recently that people starting living down there in any significant numbers.

My favorite site for real estate searches of any kind is Zillow ... the ability to search for properties by location first and then filter down by price and amenity is pretty great.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...fessional.html

That link is to a thread that appeared here in April. A mother looking for an apartment from her daughter, an ASU grad getting ready to start a new job at Raytheon. Perhaps you would find that conversation helpful.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:39 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Raytheon is a great place to work. You might want to look for a place a little South of Tucson in order to make your commute easier. Sahuarita has some good options. The old Barrio district of downtown would also likely be convenient and there are some really cool old properties in there with lots of history. Good luck with your new position!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
As a veteran of eight corporate moves over the year, here is the advice that I would offer.

1) If you focus on what you are leaving in New York, you will be miserable in Tucson.

2) Focus on all the good things that Tucson does have to offer. There are a lot of entertainment and cultural things to do in the area. There are a lot of hiking and other outdoor opportunities in the area.

3) Remember that there is a lot to do in AZ/NM outside of Tucson - caves, national park, etc.

4) Tucson is a low COL city and AZ is a low tax state unlike a lot of NY. It would be a good time to put money aside for 401(k), etc. (I am a CPA so I have to say that.)

5) I like the U of A area. Parking can be a problem but rents are pretty cheap as things go near a university.

6) I like Sahaurita as much as anyone. However, it is NOT a place that I could recommend for the young single folks. It is mostly younger families and retirees. Great community with few good restaurants and not a lot of entertainment. It would be a great place if you had a family and worked at Raytheon as the commute has no traffic.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Spot suggested Sahuarita but I would disagree. Not in terms of distance, many people who work at Raytheon live there or in Vail. But he is a recent college grad looking to make friends with people his age. He thought maybe Continental Ranch was too "middle-aged" for him. I would agree that all those places are. Even if he has to commute a little farther, I suspect he would trade that for living in a place with mostly families or retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson