Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnewb86 View Post
Culturally, it feels like a hybrid between west coast liberal andMidwestern college town. I've been really surprised at the vast numbers of fit, attractive people And how everyone just seems so, for lack of a better word, chill and friendly.
I've been saying something similar to this for years. Although I believe that Tucson is a mix of an liberal Midwestern college town with a libertarian Southwestern vibe.

Phoenix, on the other hand, is a mixture (and smaller version) of Los Angeles and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Glad to see something positive! Tucson has always intrigued me.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 13,836 times
Welcome! I am new and I love Tucson too. I had been visiting here for years and moved here from Canada.(eh?) My work requires frequent travel and I've been all over the US.

Actually, I gave up all my possessions (after divorce), friends, etc to move here and start over so I've invested a lot to be here. (Not to mention to get a Visa, etc)

I've lived here since the fall and I absolutely love Tucson (and AZ actually).

I spend my weekends wandering the desert.

I literally wake up every morning and thank the God/The Universe/[insert similar thing here] for letting me wake up in such a wonderful place.

My ONLY challenge, mainly because I work from home, has been making friends/meeting people my age (late 30s) but it is happening, slowly but surely.

Chris.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I may be relocating to Tucson for a job. We used to live in Willcox 80 miles to the east so this city is familiar to us. Since we'd like to retire in or near Tucson anyway, getting a job there when I'm planning on working another 6 years is a good thing. We love the beauty of the city, it's a city of U-turns while driving.

Ever noticed that? You have to master the U-turn on Tucson streets because of how they've designed the streets. It actually improves traffic flow overall that way, though. For a large city I don't mind driving in it at all.

We love The Hut and Club Congress for rock shows as well. Beautiful SW city.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM

119 posts, read 85,296 times
I'll throw in a quick two cents' worth, and then get back to packing.

I retire from my current job the end of this month, and start my new job in Tucson June 1st.

I anticipate nothing but a positive experience. I've been to Tucson many times to visit family, at all different times of the year, and at different stages of my life. No place I've ever lived is perfect, and I've moved around enough while growing up and as an adult to know that it all depends on me - but I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs of life in Tucson.

I do want to thank each and every one of the "local" posters who share their knowledge and thoughts on Tucson so willingly. Your posts have been a great source of information and entertainment to me. I'm more of a lurker than a contributor, but I wanted to make sure you know your efforts are appreciated. A special shout-out to Moving to Tucson who shared all of the angst that went with their relocation. It's nice to know you're not the only one going through it when it's your turn!

Now .. back to packing! The time, it is dwindling quickly!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:54 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Very valid points and beautifully stated, SomewhereWarm . . .

As I have posted many times before . . . "There is no perfect place to live."

Also, anyone so motivated can, and usually will, find the negatives. It takes a positive outlook to find and appreciate the good stuff.

By the way . . . WELCOME TO TUCSON.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 PM

700 posts, read 919,537 times
The traffic cones have been gone a long time. We left in 1995, and they were gone then. They were a pretty unique feature during the 15 years I lived there, though.

I visit Tucson about every three months; I miss it a lot. Three months is about all I can stand before I get my SoAZ injection again. I subscribe to the Star online and read back issues of the Citizen, which is fun. I've been homesick for two decades, and it's technically not even my home. I just got a permanent fixation. My husband is not the fan I am, unfortunately. But I like pretty much everything about it.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I like Goodman's Book Store and Zia's CD/DVD store, too! If we move back to Tucson I look forward to going to those stores.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM

175 posts, read 315,354 times
I was transferred here by my employer. Tucson was not on the top 10 list of places I wanted to land. It was suppose to be a 2 year assignment. That was 25 years ago. After the first couple of months, my DW and I decided that this is where we needed to be. Luckily I was able to secure employment and we set roots. Tucson is great. If you every get bored it is your own fault. We have been discussing relocating up north when we retire. The wife is not handling the summer heat as well as she use to. Things change as you get older. But for now, you can't beat Tucson.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 PM

93 posts, read 143,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
The wife is not handling the summer heat as well as she use to. Things change as you get older. But for now, you can't beat Tucson.
Funny how it's the complete opposite for people from the north, where I currently live (Geneva, IL). I've been talking to my neighbor, he lived in IL all his life. He told me how he's been talking to the wife about moving south to the warm climate. The people I bought the house from moved to FL, before them the owner moved to TX, the neighbor says everyone he talks to, they are moving south.

He stated how hard it is for them to cope with the harsh winter, the older they get...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson