Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 6,777 times

Advertisements

Hey Green Valley folks,

We own a "fixer" home in Green Valley. We come down twice yearly for about two weeks at a time to work on the house. It's a labor of love (sometimes hate and grumbling too).

So we pay for ongoing electric, water, gas, sewer. We have no internet or TV or trash collection because we're not here enough to pay for ongoing service. Yet I wonder...what do other folks who are here less than a full year do? Are there some tricks or smart money-saving ideas you can share about short-term service? Are there companies that we can engage and then regularly suspend the service?

Ideally, we'd love to have internet service year round, if only to set up some cameras to keep track of the house or maybe a "Nest" type of thermostat we can remotely control. Is there a means to obtain reasonably priced internet service (without piggybacking from our neighbors because I don't think they'd be open to that)?

Funny...we've had this house for nearly seven years now and this is the first time I've thought about asking this community for help. Who else who know better, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias4cat View Post
Hey Green Valley folks,

We own a "fixer" home in Green Valley. We come down twice yearly for about two weeks at a time to work on the house. It's a labor of love (sometimes hate and grumbling too).

So we pay for ongoing electric, water, gas, sewer. We have no internet or TV or trash collection because we're not here enough to pay for ongoing service. Yet I wonder...what do other folks who are here less than a full year do? Are there some tricks or smart money-saving ideas you can share about short-term service? Are there companies that we can engage and then regularly suspend the service?

Ideally, we'd love to have internet service year round, if only to set up some cameras to keep track of the house or maybe a "Nest" type of thermostat we can remotely control. Is there a means to obtain reasonably priced internet service (without piggybacking from our neighbors because I don't think they'd be open to that)?

Funny...we've had this house for nearly seven years now and this is the first time I've thought about asking this community for help. Who else who know better, right?

I will go through the list.

For internet, the best short-term solution is to head to the following locations and access free WiFi:

All GVR Centers (members only)
Starbucks in all Safeway and Fry stores
Green Valley and Sahuarita Public libraries
Green valley Hospital
Posada Java

There may be others but those are the easiest.

Some neighbors use a Verizon hot spot for their internet. That is too pricey. I use Cox but it is not great. There is very limited choice. The people at the GVR Computer Club and GVR Camera Club both tell us that Cox is the best option. Simply Bits may be another option.

For cable. it will not be worth it unless your stay is in months.

Trash collection depends on who the HOA uses. Our uses Titan and they only bill you during the periods that they are collecting from your house. Because of the wildlife, never put out the trash at night unless you want it scattered.

You can pretty much turn does the electric, gas and water so that the bills are minimal. Do notify the City of Tucson Water Department to let them know when you are gone so that you get the vacation rate which is half the normal rate.

I have chosen not to go the "smart" control approach. I live in an HOA where there is a significant foot traffic and very alert neighbors. My neighbors are home most of the time, many are expert marksmen (seriously) and have no problems dialing the Pima County Sheriff. I have a neighbor key in once a week to make sure there are no problems with the house and she handles any issues. In return, we watch her house, walk her dog and occasionally feed her and help get her groceries.

Personally, until you make this your permanent home, I would not have a lot of valuables in a home that is vacant 8+ months a year. It is a bad idea although some people do it.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 AM

93 posts, read 143,507 times
I think a hot-spot would be ideal, the only problem is activating/deactivating all the time, which usually the cell-co's charge a fee.

You could check with your cell provider to see if they have an unlimited data plan, or one that is very high (10-20GB), and tether to your phone (meaning, the phone acts as a wireless router and you connect PC's to the wireless network the phone creates).

So what you can do is when you're here, bump up the data allotment in your plan for a month, then reduce it back to how much you have on a regular basis.

Just make sure to ask all the questions so there are no surprises, some providers are sneaky and charge extra for tethering...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson