Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research online, but there is nothing better than actual feedback from people who have had actual experiences. I am looking to have a Chevy 427 big block rebuilt and I am open to anywhere from Tucson to Nogales. I would like to keep my money in the local area to support the local economy. Looking forward to your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 04:25 AM

301 posts, read 295,559 times
While I have not done business with them personally, I have had several people say that Larry's Engine - High Performance & Supercharged Engine Builder is the place to go.

I have also heard that CHUCK HAWK AUTO PERFORMANCE, 222 E Farr St Tucson Az, 85705 does phenomenal work; (520) 292-0880

I hang out with a lot of racers and many if they are not fixing things themselves, they are going to one of these two places the most. If you ever get into Imports, SPS AUTOSPORT, 8198 S CAMINO DE CAFE #2
TUSCON, AZ 85747 Does good work. They love working on cars and it shows. My only complaint would be that they are much better working on imports than American cars, so if you are fixing up a Chevy 427, I would talk to Chuck or Larry.

Finally one place that has a lot of new equpment is the Hotrod's Garage , Tucson Dining | Vail Arizona | Hotrods Old Vail They do nice restoration jobs and custom work to include engines at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps
Cheers and welcome to Tucson.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:15 AM

344 posts, read 550,712 times
You might ask the folks at Don's Hot Rod Shop.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,469 times
When I first moved here, at the end of 2015, I worked at Chuck Hawk's Auto and Performance for a few months. They do not build motors or do machine work. Mostly what they do is regular auto repair. The only "performance" work I ever saw was that they pulled out motors and sent them out, then replaced them.

Chuck hired me supposedly to do performance fabrication and EFI tuning but in the time I worked there, there was none. The biggest performance job that they did while I worked there was to swap out a motor and trans in a late model Mustang. They bought the motor and trans and did an R & R. I watched Chuck assemble a race power glide and frankly, where and how he did it made me think that I wouldn't bring anything there.

The shop is a mess and a dangerous place to work because of it. If you ever saw the shop I think you would feel the same. With some heavy clean-up and organization it could be a nice shop but the way it is I would shy away.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:35 AM

301 posts, read 295,559 times
Thanks. I was thinking about using them. Appreciate the insight.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM

266 posts, read 271,476 times
Try yellow bullet forum, lots of racers in the area and they may be able to steer you to or away from several local places.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. Just to be clear, I am not going to race the car, I just want it to be a nice reliable cruiser with a good sounding idle and is respectable when going through the gears. I will check on the options you all have posted. A buddy of mine has a friend who had good things to say about Baker Machine shop Baker's Auto Machine - Full Services Auto Machine Shop in Tuscon, AZ - 520-746-3434 - Tucson, AZ - 85745 Have any of you all heard anything about this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson