Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times

Advertisements

Wife and I will be visiting dear sister and mom this November. Normally we fly from Tucson to San Diego but, for an adventure, we're considering taking Amtrak. Checked Yelp; Amtrak reviews are dismal.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on how this might work out?

Thanks,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 11:22 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
You'd have to change trains in L.A. I'm certain it would be far quicker to drive.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I have plans to take the over night train to L.A., as an adventure, but yes, no direct service to San Diego, but that will just add to the adventure, L.A. to San Diego. If you're like me, no vacation entails putting my hands on a steering wheel/putting the key into the ignition of a car. So what if it takes a lot longer, I always take a book or crossword puzzles along.

When I last checked the train leaves Tucson around 7:30pm and you arrive in L.A. around 5-5:30 am, and in another 2 hours or less you're in San Diego, and there you can add to your adventure and crossing the street you can hop on the Blue Line Tijuana/San Ysidro train and in 45 minutes you're at the Border.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 AM

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize the train went to L.A. first.

Too much of an adventure for us!!!

Rich

Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

Rich
Unfortunately, Rich . . . Trains are forced to follow the tracks.

I took Amtrak from here to Southern Mississippi (it continued all the way to Jacksonville, Florida) years ago and it was GREAT. Kinda pricey with a Private Stateroom but GREAT nonetheless.

The People Watching was almost as much fun as the scenery along the way.

Good Luck.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post

Rich
Drive out the 8 to San Diego. It's fast and scenic. By the time you mess with all the airport in-and-out and waiting, you can just hop in the car and drive.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:51 PM

404 posts, read 480,836 times
We took Amtrak to WI earlier this year just for something different. If one can accept Amtrak's shortcomings, it's a fun way to travel. It was 3 days each way for us and had to change trains in Chicago. We had a sleeper car. Since I do all the driving, it was great to relax and watch the scenery go by. It was also fascinating to see how time has passed my many, if not most, small towns across the country. The food on the dining car was ok, not spectacular but not bad, either. The ever changing view and dining with other passengers at each meal was fun. All in all, we enjoyed our trip and would do it again.

The shortcomings - trains are late. Because of train schedules, we had to overnight in a motel in Chicago. Good thing, too, because just outside of Texarkana our locomotive broke down. 5 hours later Amtrak borrowed one from a freight train and got us to St. Louis where they changed engines and crew. Once you're off schedule, Amtrak yields right of way to the freight trains as they own the tracks. All that meant we were 10 hrs late into CHI. Didn't bother us, we checked in and went out for supper. But many people that missed a connection got stuck on buses.

Amtrak defers maintenance. I had a seat with a broken recline mechanism. The intercom system works hit and miss. We almost didn't get off in Tucson on the return trip because we missed the announcement. That would have been a real bummer as after 6 days back and forth we were really ready to be home.

The standard sleeper car is smaller than you might suspect. If one is going to sleep in the upper bunk, it's best to be fairly agile because getting up there is a little tricky and getting down more so. If we do this again, we'll get the next bigger sleeper car.

A good car attendant makes a lot of difference. Unfortunately, some are much better than others.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Drive out the 8 to San Diego. It's fast and scenic. By the time you mess with all the airport in-and-out and waiting, you can just hop in the car and drive.

Couple of responses. We've done the 8 to San Diego numerous times. Not a bad ride, around eight hours. Lately we've done the flying bit. We live in Green Valley AZ. Tucson Airport is around thirty minutes away, parking is easy there (small airport). The flight to San Diego is short, and sis picks us up at the airport.

We've used Amtrak a good deal, mostly for travel to and from NYC when we're on Cape Cod. It's about two hours to Providence Amtrak, with underground parking. Ride times to NYC varies, but it's normally not bad at all.

Thanks all for the input!

Rich

Old 10-29-2018, 08:35 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Eight hours? Are you being towed by a Greyhound bus? I routinely do it in under six.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Eight hours? Are you being towed by a Greyhound bus? I routinely do it in under six.
Uh, no bus involved. I live in Green Valley, 20 miles south of Tucson. First stop is at a restaurant in Eloy. From there, one more gas stop, then on to La Mesa (just outside of San Diego).

Towed by a bus?

( set the cruise control at 65, stay in the right lane and enjoy a relaxing ride)

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson