Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Advertisements

Where are you seeing these types of jobs? Online, local?

It's been a few years since I went looking for some for work for myself, but, honestly, I don't remember now where I found them. Check publishing houses for books, for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 08:38 AM

499 posts, read 471,216 times
Agree with Salpointe59; if your wife has an English degree, it is highly likely she can find a teaching position. She may want to check with the Basis school system, which is a group of charter schools, but the students are highly motivated and they pay teachers more than the public system. Another possibility is the Writing Skills Improvement Center at the University of Arizona (WSIC).

What is important to realize is that Tucson is a networking city, which as you have discovered, means that online applications are useless. If she is not on LinkedIn she should be, and should begin networking person-to-person. Stop in to the UA writing lab and talk with one of the instructors to see what positions might be available. And, yes, pay in Tucson is significantly lower than most other cities in the west. Hopefully so is your rent and general cost of living.

Good luck to your wife.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
No offense intended but English is not a hugely marketable degree (ask me how I know). Your wife needs to pick up some more marketable skills outside of the english/publishing arena. In the mean time, I think if I were in her shoes I would really push marketing skills that she might have with regard to social media, etc. Almost ALL businesses need marketing support. I would suggest she look for a marketing agency that she can work with, or do some freelance.

Relying on other people to "provide" work i.e. temp agencies, is a sure way to not get anywhere fast. You have to think outside the box and create your own opportunities.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
How about teaching English online? I have a friend here in Fla. who does that - she is making about $18-20 per hour. She works from home (only part time now), in her home office and the lessons are done on Skype or a similar platform. She teaches children from China -- online -- and she loves it.

Of course you have to get certified in your state. But certainly not bad money part time and it would be good to tide you over.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfarm View Post
This is a fine idea. Our problem is that we are new in town and have zero social circle at the moment.

thanks
Don't discount the connections that you might be able to garner through people you already know "back home". Lots of people know lots of people and someone you know may have a cousin, or ex-husband or something living in Tucson that could hook you up with some introductions. Never underestimate the 6 degrees of separation thing. It's true.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairfarm View Post
Seeking some employment advice.

She has a college degree in English and was a well paid editor for a small publishing company. But print publishing is dying, not too mention the joke about an English major being the “Would you like fries with that?” college degree.

She's asking the wrong question here. Now she needs to be asking "Hot or mild sauce?" and "Would you like flour or corn tortillas?"

Old 02-09-2019, 02:16 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
She might possibly look at hiring on with the State. Not that she'd be qualified for a whole lot, but having a degree in something is a plus.

https://azstatejobs.azdoa.gov/ltmpro...Board=EXTERNAL

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 20,706 times
Thanks to everyone who offered helpful suggestions to my wife in her job search. This forum thread has helped her to become aware of resources that might not have occurred to her on our own. My wife is following through on some of them. Thanks to those who took the time respond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
Agree with Salpointe59; if your wife has an English degree, it is highly likely she can find a teaching position. She may want to check with the Basis school system, which is a group of charter schools, but the students are highly motivated and they pay teachers more than the public system. Another possibility is the Writing Skills Improvement Center at the University of Arizona (WSIC).

What is important to realize is that Tucson is a networking city, which as you have discovered, means that online applications are useless. If she is not on LinkedIn she should be, and should begin networking person-to-person. Stop in to the UA writing lab and talk with one of the instructors to see what positions might be available. And, yes, pay in Tucson is significantly lower than most other cities in the west. Hopefully so is your rent and general cost of living.

Good luck to your wife.
She is on LinkedIn and has reached out friends and family in our previous town too. We thought your suggestion of reaching out to a UofA instructer was helpful too. My salary can easily support us both with tighter budgeting. But she's not the stay-at-home type of wife and needs to work...it's in her psychological DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
No offense intended but English is not a hugely marketable degree (ask me how I know).
I agree, which is why I referred to it as the “Would you like fries with that?” college degree.

Quote:
Your wife needs to pick up some more marketable skills outside of the english/publishing arena. In the mean time, I think if I were in her shoes I would really push marketing skills that she might have with regard to social media, etc. Almost ALL businesses need marketing support. I would suggest she look for a marketing agency that she can work with, or do some freelance.
This was helpful. She had not considered marketing careers. Thanks.

Quote:
Relying on other people to "provide" work i.e. temp agencies, is a sure way to not get anywhere fast. You have to think outside the box and create your own opportunities.
I think that most people need to rely on other people for work (or a career) to some extent. However, as I stated in my original post we are both wary of temp agencies because of they tend to keep their temp workers in the “Temp Zone”. We are definitely thinking outside the box at this point. We’re not really “church” people, which would’ve been a great resource with a ready-made network of people. But there are other groups we have joined on MeetUp.com, etc. We’ll see how that plays out.

Quote:
Never underestimate the 6 degrees of separation thing. It's true.
I’ve been trying find a couple of friends on social media I knew 30 years ago, the last time I lived in Tucson. But 30 years is a long time. Other than that we both have no family or social circle here. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
She's asking the wrong question here. Now she needs to be asking "Hot or mild sauce?" and "Would you like flour or corn tortillas?"
Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
She might possibly look at hiring on with the State. Not that she'd be qualified for a whole lot, but having a degree in something is a plus.

https://azstatejobs.azdoa.gov/ltmpro...Board=EXTERNAL
Thank so much for the helpful link!

In the end, I think she’s going to have to get her hands dirty and not simply rely on online job finding services, a reality she’s beginning to quickly understand. Tucson seems like more of Mom-and-Pop store mentality and networking community as many have said in this thread.

Thanks again

Old 02-15-2019, 02:57 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Call Center Management is probably the way to go. While not as many in Tucson as Phoenix, there are enough. An English major is definitely a match for a supervisory position at a call center. Probably a trainer/HR position to start, but ultimately facility/ team Management material.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Before my wife's good friend passed on from cancer, she worked from home,online, doing medical biller/coder work. She enjoyed working online from home. Perhaps work in this area, will suit your wife.

https://www.google.com/search?source...10.LkJmhbsvnOs

Best of luck to your wife & you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson