Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 07:53 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
An article by Dan Shearer on October 1, 2021 in the Green Valley News had a lot of information on what's happening with the mines in the Santa Ritas. I'll try to summarize.

Canadian-based Hudbay Minerals owns Rosemont Mine and it has been stalled in courts since July 2019. They want to put their mine tailings on federal land. There is another big, shallower mine area near to it which Hudbay calls Copper World. They own the land around it, so not on federal land and easier to start doing open-pit mining. It will be visible from Green Valley and Sahuarita.

"The decision — not yet official — is based on exploration work in 2020 and 2021 that has now identified seven deposits as potential viable open-pit operations. Hudbay had announced in March that it discovered the potential for four open-pit mines within view of Green Valley and Sahuarita. Quail Creek is about eight miles west of the nearest edge of Copper World."

"Copper World’s deposits are near or at the surface, higher grade than Rosemont and are on 4,500 acres owned by Hudbay. Launching the project on private land means Hudbay would need three state permits and would not require the federal NEPA process, the National Environmental Protection Act."

"Rosemont would require “90 million tonnes (metric tons) of pre-strip” — waste rock — before reaching copper. Copper World would require minimal waste rock removal. In terms of time, it could take a year before reaching copper at Rosemont, where Copper World would be almost immediate in some locations."

A Hudbay COO in Toronto called Copper World, “probably one of our in-house development projects most likely to move forward.”

Hudbay said they have also "identified five new drill-ready exploration targets north and south of Copper World."

Link to the Green Valley News article which includes photos and map of mining sites (not sure if it requires subscription to read):

https://www.gvnews.com/news/huge-dep...97afa487a.html
Excellent update wildflowers27!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 PM

810 posts, read 870,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Excellent update wildflowers27!

Thank you! If I were a gazillionaire, I would offer to buy the whole mountain range from them to keep it as it is. The whole area is a treasure.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:46 AM

1,997 posts, read 862,329 times
I don't get it. I cannot take my private land and do things that pollute the environment. Try building a home in Arizona and see what it takes to put in a septic system? Very strict rules involved. And, the water issues in Arizona? Someone in state government needs to explain. Who can I call?

Old 10-14-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
I don't get it. I cannot take my private land and do things that pollute the environment. Try building a home in Arizona and see what it takes to put in a septic system? Very strict rules involved. And, the water issues in Arizona? Someone in state government needs to explain. Who can I call?
Good point, Greenvalleyfan. I hadn't thought of it that way but you're right.

The local group that seems to be on it is Save the Scenic Santa Ritas:

https://www.scenicsantaritas.org/

There's an old phrase, "You don't miss the water 'til the well runs dry." To paraphrase that, We won't miss the mountains until they're torn away. Maybe the Robson developer at Quail Creek will step up and try to do something since all those homeowners are so close by.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:42 AM

Yep, those homeowners have to be livid. I'm in the process of building with the Santa Ritas as my focal point, but not in Quail Creek.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:55 AM

For anyone interested in water, the Oct 20th Green Valley News (pages A10-A11) covered the 2nd installment of the Green Valley Council's Water Series. Very informative with presentations about water policy, management, usage, and future development.
Some of it focused on the mines, so am adding a brief summary to this thread.

A board member of the Green Valley water district, Mr. Heddon, said Hudbay said they were going to use 6,000 to 7,000 acre feet of water a year (1 acre-foot is 326,000 gallons of water). He said Freeport-McMoran (owns the mine behind Green Valley to the west) is taking out 25,000 acre-feet of water a year. And the pecan groves are taking out 20,000 to 22,000 acre-feet of water a year. They talked about the CAP pipeline and if there would be cuts. There is no gray water use in Green Valley or Quail Creek (most of the golf courses in Tucson are pumping gray water). FICO (pecan groves) is going to be converting some of their agricultural fields to residential. Mr. Gabaldon said one tree uses more water than one house; there are 16 parcels of state land on Sahuarita Road and whoever builds has to bring water. Discussed ways for aquifer replenishment.

The slide decks from all three of the forum presentations are available here:

https://gvcouncil.org/meet-our-local...great-success/

Old 04-05-2022, 08:31 AM

Just saw in the news today they are starting on their project. How can we fight this? We need to collectively join together and stop this. WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR WATER?

Old 04-05-2022, 08:13 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I recently drove 10 miles south of I-19 on Houghton Rd, past Sahuarita Rd and up to the base of the Santa Rita Mtns where Houghton comes to a dead end. This is the upper part of what is called Corona de Tucson (Crown of Tucson). The view is spectacular, in all directions from Green Valley in the southeast to Marana and then across the entire Catalina range and all of Tucson. Not surprising, there are some very upscale homes that have been built in recent years. It is one of the quietest places you can imagine (end of the road, literally), no highways, trains or airplanes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.8921...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The proposed new copper mines are about 3 miles due south of this location in Corona de Tucson. There are ridges that would hide the view of the mines from here, but the explosions that are used to blast hard rock loose for open pit mining would likely be heard (and the concussion wave felt!) within 3 miles. Rattling windows in a previously dead-quiet area would stir up a lot of controversy, even without the water issue!

Copper prices are at very high levels, so it is not surprising the mining plans are being pushed forward. In some ways, the Russia-Ukraine war is tied to this, because with Russia "out" as a source of imported copper for the US, that means fewer choices on the global metals market are available. Chile, Peru, China, Canada, Mexico and Zambia are about the only other places to buy copper if it doesn't come from the US (mostly Arizona).

Old 04-06-2022, 11:52 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Just saw in the news today they are starting on their project. How can we fight this? We need to collectively join together and stop this. WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR WATER?
Anyone found out what politico's are responsible for this?

Old 04-08-2022, 07:03 AM

No, I'm not in AZ full time yet. If I was there and registered politically I would know who to call. I may have to change my political affiliation or register as an independent. Destroying the environment and a treasure such as the Santa Rita Mts in the name of money should be a no brainer for a conservative or a liberal. There shouldn't be a side but simply what is right and what is wrong. And, to add insult to injury this is a Canadian company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson