Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:33 PM

364 posts, read 617,569 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how this is being received in the GV area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 02:54 PM

810 posts, read 870,234 times
Well, this is surprising. I would have thought this question would bring forth a lively discussion. Perhaps it's being talked about on Nextdoor. Anecdotally, a friend was talking about Quail Creek the other day and said people she knew like living there but are worried about the mine and what it will do to the area.

With the large Sierrita mine and Twin Buttes mine and their tailings flanking the west side of Green Valley, you sort of get used to it because it's behind you. With the proposed Rosemont mine, it's in the Santa Rita mountains which are the spectacular view across the valley in front of you, home to lots of wildlife. The Whipple Observatory is also located there (because of the dark night sky).

Water is a big issue. Green Valley relies on groundwater. Between mining, agriculture (pecans), and residential, it is experiencing an overdraft. The mines want to bring in CAP water to replenish the groundwater. Any water buffs can read about it here: https://www.usbr.gov/lc/phoenix/prog...relimAsmnt.pdf

My parents and many lifelong friends made Green Valley home. I hope to settle there. Yes, I am worried about Rosemont mine and hope it never goes through. Open pit strip mining does not belong in the Santa Rita mountains, especially considering the mine's operating life will only be about 20 years, a short time for permanent damage.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:00 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post

Thanks.
This thread is in the AZ forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ine-south.html

Old 05-26-2019, 10:58 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Unfortunately, Americans are the most inept, gutless protesters in the world. If we had even half the guts of the Yellow Vests in France, that mine would be shut down forever and ever.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:52 AM

681 posts, read 717,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post

Thanks.

You can check out this website.....it'll show you how some Green Valley residents are putting their 1960's hippie protests experiences to good use. Of course its minus the long hair and bell bottoms for most of them and they are going the more conservative route of trying to stop the mine...

https://www.scenicsantaritas.org/

Old 05-28-2019, 09:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unfortunately, Americans are the most inept, gutless protesters in the world. If we had even half the guts of the Yellow Vests in France, that mine would be shut down forever and ever.
What is there to protest? Mining has been going on for thousands and thousands of years all over the world.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:28 AM

700 posts, read 918,484 times
Yes, indeed; the Atacama Desert is an excellent place for a copper mine. Peru and Chile are excellent places indeed.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:06 AM

364 posts, read 617,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
You can check out this website.....it'll show you how some Green Valley residents are putting their 1960's hippie protests experiences to good use. Of course its minus the long hair and bell bottoms for most of them and they are going the more conservative route of trying to stop the mine...

https://www.scenicsantaritas.org/

That's great. I appreciate the link. I wish them the best.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:12 AM

810 posts, read 870,234 times
Just saw this in the news:

"Hudbay Minerals shares plunged more than 20% on Thursday after a court ruling barred the company from proceeding with construction at one of its biggest copper projects in the U.S"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...KCN1UR4WK?il=0

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,556 times
I actually think this court decision is sad. I am not big mine advocate, but I am one to be against moving the goal post at the last minute. To put it terms that I can understand, I think about how I would feel if say I wanted to build a garage on my property. I pay to have my property surveyed. I hire a contractor and come up with a plan. I go to the county and get my plans approved (at the cost of thousands of dollars). Then the contractor hires sub-contractors, schedules the work and orders and pays for the initial lumber, concrete and other supplies. The day before we break ground, a neighbor comes up with an objection and the County puts the whole project on hold while they deliberate, do studies, etc. If this actually happened to me, I would be quite upset, and if it happened to you, you probably would be too. In my layman opinion, Hudbay has jumped through the hoops, dotted the i's and crossed the t's. I think they should be allowed to go forward with their project. This whole "find a sympathetic judge" movement has gotten way out of hand. There has to be a balance between conservation and making use of the land for human endeavors. Each and every one of you have a significant amount of copper in your homes which allows you to have electricity which in turn allows you all the convenience and comfort we are all accustomed to. For this reason, I believe that the "not my back yard, but someone else's back yard" argument is not a valid or reasonable argument. In my opinion, it is a selfish and unreasonable argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson