Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 12:27 PM

9 posts, read 9,431 times

Advertisements

I did a search and could not find much current information. We live in a Del Webb in Ocala, Florida but are considering a move to the Tucson area.

Does anyone have a comparison of the communities regarding accessibility, medical care, markets, etc.. Are some really remote or was that years ago? SaddleCreek Ranch, Quail Creek?

Any comments on communities would be very helpful.

We are planning a two week trip in September and would like to check out the various communities but want to get as much information as we can ahead of time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 01:48 PM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
Saddlebrooke, Sun City Vistoso, and several others are north/northwest of Tucson, in or near Oro Valley. Quail Creek is south of Tucson, in the Sahuarita/Green Valley area.

Although I've not used her, I found this realtor's website to be very well organized. Here is the section for the 55+ communities north of Tucson: TUCSON RETIREMENT COMMUNITIES - Brenda O'Brien, ABR, CRS, GRI

And here is the section for Quail Creek listings: QUAIL CREEK - Tucson Retirement Community

There is also the Del Webb Rancho Del Lago in Vail which is (I think) southeast of Tucson. No link, but you could search for it.

To help answer your questions on proximity to things, you could pick any house and put the address into google maps, then use the "search nearby" function to look for supermarkets, etc. That would give you a general idea of what's nearby and how far of a drive it is.

I'm not yet a resident (hope to be soon), but have found this method helpful to get oriented.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
I like this site.

https://www.55places.com/arizona?gcl...SAAEgI1rvD_BwE

Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
I live just outside of Oro Valley and while my subdivision isn't a 55+ it sure feels like one. When they built our subdivision a decent percentage are two bedroom houses.

The general area seems to be friendly to an older crowd.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:36 AM

810 posts, read 870,662 times
OP, if you are under 65 and will need to get health insurance, know that Saddlebrooke is in Pinal County, not Pima County. Pima County has many more providers from which to choose and the rates are lower.

If you're already on Medicare, then probably not an issue which county you're in. But do your due diligence on health care also before you buy the house.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 9,431 times
Thanks, everyone.

Good suggestions.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am well past 65. But pretty healthy - just don't want to drive miles if healthcare is needed.

Contacted the suggested Realtor for her recommendations.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:31 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,814 times
I've been wondering if there are any over 55 communities that allow higher walls or fences, and have more than postage stamp sized yards so people can still have larger dogs?

Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 PM

322 posts, read 244,386 times
Robson offers guest packages.

https://www.robson.com/be-our-guest/

Come check out the different communities and see what you think. Medical will be easier the closer to Tucson you are (vs. GV).

Quail Creek is a beautiful well kept community. Saddlebrook Ranch is nice with newer amenities. But I didn't think it's as nice as QC due to the lack of mature vegetation. QC & Saddlebrook being older, may offer a larger lot size if you buy a used home. The newer homes are usually closer together, but more energy efficient.

As Robson's have their own restaurants, that means you can't bring your own food or drink into there clubhouses (say for a neighborhood pot luck). They usually have outdoor areas to use, but that doesn't always work when it's a 110 out.

Like all retirement communities, there's rules. That's usually what keeps them nice. That, and the builders main goal is to sell more homes. Try to read the rules before you pick a place.

And if you decide to buy new, your home will look nothing like the model when it's done unless you spend 1-200K at the design center.

I think the better deal is used. You can change the whole interior of your home, but you can't change the location. And what might be a nice mountain/desert view when you move in, could turn into the next phase of homes being built.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Green Valley has a good number of retirement communities at price levels that range from $75k - 1M that are not in Quail Creek. Many of the communities are aligned with Green Valley Recreation which is a cooperative that operates 13 pools, six gyms, and a great number of other recreation amenities for active seniors. There are also 60-70 clubs and many other activities.

As for healthcare in Green Valley, it is a fallacy that you need to run to Tucson to see a doctor. Most of the large specialty practices in Tucson have office hours in Green Valley as well as approximately 50 primary care physicians. There is also a hospital in Green Valley that can meet many needs. Trauma care in handles in South Tucson for the entire arrea.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Friends live in Del Webb Oro Valley, nice view, end of road, (Tip of plateau)
No golf = low annual fees and great recreation services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson