Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 07:07 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times

Advertisements

My in-laws have lived in Saddlebrooke (HOA2) for about 15 years and have been very happy. We visit annually and stay with them. We’ve been looking around the last few years and are considering the Catalina Foothills area, Dove Mountain, Oro Valley, and Saddlebrooke.

With the wonderful theater and all of the clubs. Saddlebrooke is at the top of our list, despite its being a little farther from things. We will likely move there next year, when we’re both 61.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 AM

40 posts, read 45,040 times
We love Saddlebrooke. We are also under 65. Yes, the average is around 71. We have met people under 70 and over 75. How many friends can you have anyway? Generally speaking, most folks are here to have fun. Oro Valley is a very quick 12-15 minute drive depending where you live and where you are going. Nice grocery store, Bashas is 7 minutes away. If you want to have fun, play golf, join in over 200 clubs (when CV-19 subsides), PB, Tennis, beautiful vista, etc. common down.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
We put our deposit down on a lot in the Preserve/SaddleBrooke and are looking forward to moving into our new home sometime next year. We met a couple future neighbors while we were looking at the lot. They’re around our age (we’re 60).

Old 01-30-2022, 03:05 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
A year and a half later, is there any more retail shopping nearer to Saddlebrook? Last time there in early 2020 it felt like a hike into OV for daily shopping needs. Another question, anyone know of water situation in Saddlebrooke. Up there in those dry looking foothills wondering about their water supply going forward.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:48 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I drove up Oracle Rd through Catalina a few weeks ago. Catalina is a few miles south of the main entrance road into Saddlebrooke. (Note - Saddlebrooke Ranch is several miles further north from the main entrance to the original Saddlebrooke). Catalina has a small but fairly active retail area along Oracle Rd, but there is still just one large supermarket (Basha's). They have a good Ace Hardware and a Tractor Supply for lots of household needs. I don't think one would need to drive the additional 5-7 miles down to Oro Valley too often if multiple store visits could be combined in one trip.

I think that most water in Catalina and southern Pinal County comes from underground wells and aquifers. I have seen wells and holding tanks not far from the Biosphere II site, south of Oracle. Future water supplies is a tough question to answer - depends on how much additional development goes on in the area.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:59 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
Almost all 55+ communities have an average age closer to 70-75; this is based on visiting friends who live at them and also tours we have taken. Personally, I don't like age segregation. We are mid 60s and would rather live in a mixed community.
There is a reason why 55 and over communities are so successful. Most people over 55 want a different life style. Screaming kids NOT included.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:44 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Property listings in Saddlebrooke have taken quite a jump lately, somewhat unusual compared to the rest of the metro Tuscon area. Wondering if there are any significant changes happening there, or is there something else like water supply issues happening?

Old 02-19-2022, 05:21 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I live in Oro Valley and just bought a house, so know the general area. Everything is jumping up, plus a few new amenities in Catalina coming. New Fry's grocery store so you are not overpaying for stuff at the local Basha's for one.

Plus what I've noticed is that historically in Arizona, homes in 55+ communities tended to be a little underpriced compared to a similar home that wasn't age restricted. You used to be able to get a nice solid home in the original Sun City for 50% less than homes were selling for a mile down the road in Peoria. Now it just seems that homes in 55+ communities are selling for essentially the same price as all other homes. In my humble opinion.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:12 PM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I live in Oro Valley and just bought a house, so know the general area. Everything is jumping up, plus a few new amenities in Catalina coming.
After being away for about 25 years, I went back to Tucson for the first time in 2016. Signed up with one of the big realty companies to get their periodic market reports. Back when I first started window shopping retirement locations, the median price in the Tucson metro was 180k. Five years later, their 2021 overview report said the median price this past Dec was about 350k, with an increase of 75k just in the last year. Unfortunately for those interested in Tucson, it was discovered as a desirable but inexpensive location. But not the great deal it used to be.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:46 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
Unfortunately for those interested in Tucson, it was discovered as a desirable but inexpensive location. But not the great deal it used to be.
Same here, I was away for 25 years and moved back a few years ago. Since back we've bought two properties and pretty familiar with the NW side of town now. Our real estate agent is a trusted family friend that we've known for decades and grew up in a family of agents, so they know their stuff. They told us that 75% of their successful home purchases for clients are from out of state clients.

Only upshot is that compared to Phoenix, Tucson is dramatically more affordable. Our new house if located in a similar area in Phoenix would be worth at least another $200,000.

My hunch on the elevated pricing in Saddlebrooke is that the incoming generation of retirees moving to Tucson are not 65 and simply want to putter around the golf course. Seem to be 5-10 years younger, sitting on tons of cash from their out of state house and still work at least part time doing consulting work online. Dropping half a million on a house in a great location with a ton of community amenities isn't that much of a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson