Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 04:08 PM

336 posts, read 577,504 times

Advertisements

I’m researching where to live and am looking into Green Valley. I just read that the hospital there closed. Where do GV residents get care, both hospital and regular medical care? I’m 73, so that’s a consideration. Please weigh in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 08:03 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Many go to UMC, Tucson..same for those in Rio Rico or Nogales. Lots of medivac from Nogales to UMC...don't know what is going on in GV, but there have been tons of old folks there for years...

Old 02-28-2024, 11:30 PM

92 posts, read 111,885 times
There is a fairly new hospital just off of Sahuarita Rd, almost next to the frontage road. From Green Valley Village, it is about 1.5 miles further away than the old hospital that closed down.

People that need some type of specialty care that can not be done at this hospital usually go up to Tucson.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:35 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post
There is a fairly new hospital just off of Sahuarita Rd, almost next to the frontage road. From Green Valley Village, it is about 1.5 miles further away than the old hospital that closed down.

People that need some type of specialty care that can not be done at this hospital usually go up to Tucson.

What Caladan said here is correct. What I would add is that there are several what I would call "Medical Malls" in Green Valley where you can see a dentist, eye doctor, get an x-ray, see a foot doctor, etc. There are also many "one off" places to see someone for medical care. Regarding the hospital that closed, yes, the hospital did close, but in that same complex, there are numerous doctors offices to include Pima Heart, Pima Pain Center, and several others. I think you could be comfortable that you can get most medical care here in Green Valley, and if not, Tucson is only 20 miles north. Fyi, my wife and I have been living in Green Valley for 10 years now, and back when we moved here, there were NO hospitals here in Green Valley or Sahuarita (just to the north). So the situation has improved over the years and I have no reason to doubt that it will continue to improve. One last thing, several doctors based in Tucson do come to Green Valley for one day a week to care for Green Valley patients as well as patients from the surrounding area.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:30 AM

336 posts, read 577,504 times
Great information. Thank you!

Old 02-29-2024, 09:59 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
One can also get some medical care 40 miles south in Nogales, MX. They have a big Ortho clinic there and I have gone to Clinica Similares there where a Dr. saved me from having neck surgery. Nogales isn't just for dental care.

I wouldn't want to run a business in GV, as it's seasonal.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladan View Post

The facility in Sahuarita is licensed for FIFTEEN beds only. It is good to have an emergency room in the area.

Most of my neighbors are referred to Carondelet St Mary's in Tucson as that is the hospital where many of the local doctors have privileges.

Also, many locals are referred to Northwest Hospital for specialized care.

A good number of GV residents are retired military and head up to the VA Hospital for care.

Major trauma cases are taken to Banner University Hospital South as are many psychiatric cases.

In most cases, the local EMTs (GV Fire, AMR, Rural Metro) will take you to the hospital of your choice.

Considering that Banner - University Hospitals are the major teaching hospitals in the area, I know of very few neighbors who have actually been there. I have only been there as a volunteer at the UA College of Medicine.

I have been in most of the hospitals in Tucson in the past ten years, and I think that they are underwhelming compared to most markets that I have worked in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwestern states. A number of them have had issues with infection rates and have not kept up with required capital expenditures.

=====================

As for care, there are a good number of primary care physicians in the area and many of the major practices in the Tucson area have satellite offices in Green Valley at least several days a week. However, you will head to Tucson for most major procedures. Increasingly, "same day" surgeries are being done in free-standing facilities, NOT hospitals.

However, there is almost no health care in the area other than the ER all week-end long. The only exception is Dispatch Health which is a mobile service which gets very positive reviews. While they are good, they are generally overwhelmed on the weekend. If you can't get them to schedule an appointment, you have to choose between the ER or heading up to Tucson for urgent care.

Do realize that while there are a number of primary care physicians, the large influx of snowbirds put tremendous stress on doctors in this area. Add in the fact that many of the people coming to Green Valley in the winter are served in their home areas with large corporate medical practiced with large number of MDs, nurse practitioners, and physicians. They expect that they can call in the morning and get in a couple of hours later. That does not happen during the winter months.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:29 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I’m researching where to live and am looking into Green Valley. I just read that the hospital there closed. Where do GV residents get care, both hospital and regular medical care? I’m 73, so that’s a consideration. Please weigh in.
Regular medical care isn't good. Not many choices and like an assembly line. Get ya in and shove ya out the door. If you need serious care Tucson is where you will be sent. And, like someone else commented St. Mary's is closest receiving hospital. If you are from any place that has good medical care you won't like what you see.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:36 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One can also get some medical care 40 miles south in Nogales, MX. They have a big Ortho clinic there and I have gone to Clinica Similares there where a Dr. saved me from having neck surgery. Nogales isn't just for dental care.

I wouldn't want to run a business in GV, as it's seasonal.
I'm in the middle of a root canal and crown in Cali, Colombia. It's four hours from Miami. X-ray and consultation was 13 bucks..would have been 4.50 but I wasn't sure which of the three teeth..1.62 million for root canal crown divide by 3940 for usd..about 410. I believe it would equal top quality dental in Nogales. Oh, and I got ten acetaminophen with codeine...that was 2.55 usd..took four total after root canal and today back on Heineken, which is brewed in the capital, Bogota, and cost 1.05 for a 16 ounce can.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:15 PM

103 posts, read 129,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
**snip**
Considering that Banner - University Hospitals are the major teaching hospitals in the area, I know of very few neighbors who have actually been there. I have only been there as a volunteer at the UA College of Medicine.

I have been in most of the hospitals in Tucson in the past ten years, and I think that they are underwhelming compared to most markets that I have worked in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwestern states. A number of them have had issues with infection rates and have not kept up with required capital expenditures.
I am thrilled with Banner U of A Medical Center and associated offices and hospitals.

I hadn't lived in US since 2019 so I had to establish AZ doctors after buying a home in Tucson in mid-2023.

Since then I have seen a PCP, Urologist, Gyno, Opthamologist, Orthopedic Surgeon. At most appointments I see both a Medical Resident and their supervising Doctor...2 for the price of 1!!

I like this arrangement as the Residents are acutely interested...I am not the 1,000th hip replacement patient they have seen in their career. They listen intently and ask more q's than US doctors I encountered in DC-Metro where i lived 30+ years. After or during the exam by the Resident, their supervising Doctor goes over the visit with me as well. So I get the benefit of their longer tenure and experiences.

My spouse is seen at the Banner U of A Heart Failure Clinic. When he first called for an appointment they asked if he had a referral from his cardiologist or other doctor. He explained we hadn't lived in the US for about 5 years, but he did have tests, reports and write-ups from his Mexican Cardiologist. They asked him to scan them the reports (he warned them, they're in Spanish, no problema they said). The Heart Clinic gave him an appt. within a week after that.

He goes to the Heart Clinic regularly, has had several tests and evaluations. The Clinic emails in English with his bilingually fluent Guadalajaran cardiologist and together they review tests, options and treatment plans.

When we are at our Mexican home we still see our Mexican doctors. Overall I like private MXN medical system better....faster, few gatekeepers, doctors spend a lot of time with you. But Banner's U of A network is a very close 2nd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson