Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM

415 posts, read 1,681,089 times

Advertisements

7 weeks to go 'till move-in time. YAY! Would like to sort this out before I get there.

I need some opinions on my choices of TV/phone/internet. I used to have TV/internet thru my cable company and eventually switched to the phone company for DSL and Direct TV for satellite. I love Direct TV so I will probably keep them when I move.

I will need internet services and I think it is a good idea to have a land line. There are different bundles available so I can compare prices, but how is the service??

Are there major problems with satellite during monsoon season or other times? I have had my share of outages during snow storms, etc. and it is manageable.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
I have the Qwest bundle with DirecTV for my phone, DSL, and satellite, and it's worked great since I've had it (past couple years).

I can remember only a couple times when it was a pretty bad storm overhead when satellite coverage got spotty but it came back when the storm moved on.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:05 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Another Qwest vs Cox question, TwoJulyBabies.

I've had both services and prefer the Cox bundle. Granted, I am not a huge TV nut but the most important watching time is when the weather is crappy. The satellite signal fails during bad weather while I have never had a failure from Cox.

Overall, the land line phone, the high-speed internet and the TV cable service from Cox is more dependable and their Customer Service is far superior to that of Qwest.

Good Luck

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,053 times
Another Cox bundle customer here as well. Signed up when we moved here in March and have been happy with them. A lot happier than I was with Comcast out in Indiana/Michigan.

We have the HSI, phone and cable as well. They gave us Starz free for a month promo which was nice. They just got OnDemand which we loved and used a lot on Comcasts network out in the midwest. I had satellite prior to cable in MI and just got fed up with outages due to storms/weather etc. Maybe things have gotten better since then. This was quite a few years ago.

Good luck with what you choose. I've found Cox's customer service to be very good when I've called a couple times.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times
So, when we first moved out here, we were in a rental and I had Cox. I work from home and needed high speed internet. Their customer service was awesome, their technical service was inept and confused.

I was down for about a whole week because of them "upgrading" their system. I understand that whenever something's upgraded, there's always a problem. The real problem was more how they handled it. We were not in a very populated area, so we were last on the list to get taken care of. Fine.

While the technician was in my house trying to solve the problem, another technician knocked on my door and said the problem should be fixed... apparently, the one in the house didn't know that they were working on the lines outside. It just seemed very bumbling and confused.

We had TV and telephone through them too - phone was fine, but the DVR that came with digital cable was a hunk of junk.

Now that we're in the other middle of nowhere, we have Comcast for internet and phone and we have Directv for TV. I'm so happy to have my directv back, and I haven't had any issues with Comcast as of yet.

Ooh... one more thing. I didn't have any problems during monsoon season with Cox... this will be my first with Directv, so I guess I'll let you know.

Last edited by mdtoaz; 05-17-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: one more thing

Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
So, when we first moved out here, we were in a rental and I had Cox. I work from home and needed high speed internet. Their customer service was awesome, their technical service was inept and confused.

I was down for about a whole week because of them "upgrading" their system. I understand that whenever something's upgraded, there's always a problem. The real problem was more how they handled it. We were not in a very populated area, so we were last on the list to get taken care of. Fine.

While the technician was in my house trying to solve the problem, another technician knocked on my door and said the problem should be fixed... apparently, the one in the house didn't know that they were working on the lines outside. It just seemed very bumbling and confused.

We had TV and telephone through them too - phone was fine, but the DVR that came with digital cable was a hunk of junk.

Now that we're in the other middle of nowhere, we have Comcast for internet and phone and we have Directv for TV. I'm so happy to have my directv back, and I haven't had any issues with Comcast as of yet.

Ooh... one more thing. I didn't have any problems during monsoon season with Cox... this will be my first with Directv, so I guess I'll let you know.
Maybe Comcast has their act together. I'm still going round and round with them after we closed our acct. in Indiana to move out here. What a nightmare. I returned equipment March 18th and have spoke to them 2 times about equipment because they say they didn't get it. I have the receipt. 2 other times I've gone round and round trying to get a final bill as they kept service on after me canceling it. Again. Since they prebill they had me charged for April and May. I am not happy. I finally got a "Final Bill" the end of April. And just a few days ago I got a new bill for almost $400 for unreturned equipment. I've had it with them. LOL

They happened to buy Insight Cable and the switchover happened just before we moved so I'm not sure if they are still having issues or not.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:10 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Maybe Comcast has their act together. I'm still going round and round with them after we closed our acct. in Indiana to move out here. What a nightmare. I returned equipment March 18th and have spoke to them 2 times about equipment because they say they didn't get it. I have the receipt. 2 other times I've gone round and round trying to get a final bill as they kept service on after me canceling it. Again. Since they prebill they had me charged for April and May. I am not happy. I finally got a "Final Bill" the end of April. And just a few days ago I got a new bill for almost $400 for unreturned equipment. I've had it with them. LOL

They happened to buy Insight Cable and the switchover happened just before we moved so I'm not sure if they are still having issues or not.
I'm really not a huge fan of Comcast... I had to deal with them in Maryland, and every time the wind blew our HSI went out. Not to mention some billing/customer service issues that I won't get too into detail about. But, here so far so good. I'm not sure what their coverage area is in Tucson, but out in the boonies where I am, it was them or Qwest.

I had issues with Qwest when I first moved out here. I was going to use them for DSL, and according to them it would take 3 weeks to get my service up and running. So, that's why I went with Cox... I was able to get service two days after arriving in Tucson. Meh... they're all overpriced with so-so customer service, if you ask me.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I had Cox package and the HD was so awful - pixelated - sound problems - so often that I gave up and went to DirectTV for television. I am much happier but stuck in a two year contract that I did not have with cable. I kept the cable phone and internet and both of those are satisfactory.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,590 times
I would love to have choices but I don't have much here. Hopefully we will be able to move to Tucson soon. Depends on the ability to sell our house. I am tired of Communist Cable. (that's what we call Comcast here) Their customer service is horible. I have heard of so many people having the same problem with canceling and returning equipment. Their prices are also higher than any other service around us. Before we moved we had Wide Open West and for the same services they were about 70% of Communist Cable.

The only other option we have is satellite and we have that for one chanel, Brazilian Globo TV, for my wife (she is Brazilian) We have outages with this every time there is a storm, winter or summer.

I thought I had read that Communist was in Tucson. I'm happy to hear they are not.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
I would love to have choices but I don't have much here. Hopefully we will be able to move to Tucson soon. Depends on the ability to sell our house. I am tired of Communist Cable. (that's what we call Comcast here) Their customer service is horible. I have heard of so many people having the same problem with canceling and returning equipment. Their prices are also higher than any other service around us. Before we moved we had Wide Open West and for the same services they were about 70% of Communist Cable.

The only other option we have is satellite and we have that for one chanel, Brazilian Globo TV, for my wife (she is Brazilian) We have outages with this every time there is a storm, winter or summer.

I thought I had read that Communist was in Tucson. I'm happy to hear they are not.
I actually think they are in Tucson....just not all of it. I believe I know of people that have it up in northern Tucson etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson