Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 02:45 PM

2,042 posts, read 885,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Yes, a tragedy for the snake if it had inadvertently been run over! This snake was never a threat to me or Heinz. It was out in the open initially and we saw where it went. I did not get too close, and I used the zoom feature on my camera to get the up-close shots. This snake never coiled or rattled, and yes, I know you can be bitten without a warning rattle. Yes, a rattlesnake can kill a person, but that is a pretty rare occurrence.
Well, wasn't trying to "RATTLE" anyone's cage. Just stating the obvious if one of ya got bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 03:13 PM

11,090 posts, read 6,965,383 times
Quote:
You know, I have thought to use the Steve Irwin accent as a joke, but my Aussie accent is just not that good! Additionally, I would never try to handle a snake, not even a non-venomous one. I like seeing them, and that is where it stops for me!
Bart, you are reminding me that many years ago when I studied belly dancing in Los Angeles, I was invited to an event where a bunch of snake dancers brought their snakes to the event. The even was sponsored by a local very well known dancer/teacher whose specialty was raising and dancing with snakes (HUGE ones, too). There must have been 100 snakes in that room. For some reason, I wasn't afraid. These women loved their snakes and had very good relationships with them. Only a few had ever been bitten. I still can't believe I did that.

If I saw a snake now, on the trail in AZ (or here in the South where there are Cottonmouths ) I would absolutely freak out. I don't even think I could visit Florida with all the creepy crawlies in the water down there.

Still, snakes deserve to live a happy life in the desert!

Old 09-03-2022, 06:39 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,873,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Well, wasn't trying to "RATTLE" anyone's cage. Just stating the obvious if one of ya got bit.
Good one Greenvalleyfan!

Old 09-03-2022, 07:29 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,244,635 times
Quote:
Yes, a tragedy for the snake if it had inadvertently been run over! This snake was never a threat to me or Heinz. It was out in the open initially and we saw where it went. I did not get too close, and I used the zoom feature on my camera to get the up-close shots. This snake never coiled or rattled, and yes, I know you can be bitten without a warning rattle. Yes, a rattlesnake can kill a person, but that is a pretty rare occurrence.
Yes. It can kill a person. Or make you wish you were dead. But the injuries can be permanent, disfiguring and... memorable to say the least.

Just have to be careful and share the planet wisely

Old 09-03-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Bart, you are reminding me that many years ago when I studied belly dancing in Los Angeles, I was invited to an event where a bunch of snake dancers brought their snakes to the event. The even was sponsored by a local very well known dancer/teacher whose specialty was raising and dancing with snakes (HUGE ones, too). There must have been 100 snakes in that room. For some reason, I wasn't afraid. These women loved their snakes and had very good relationships with them. Only a few had ever been bitten. I still can't believe I did that.

If I saw a snake now, on the trail in AZ (or here in the South where there are Cottonmouths ) I would absolutely freak out. I don't even think I could visit Florida with all the creepy crawlies in the water down there.

Still, snakes deserve to live a happy life in the desert!
I am not so sure I could have attended and event like that Pathrunner! If I can see a snake, I am happy to observe it for a couple of minutes. It is when I get surprised by one that freaks me out!

Old 09-03-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Yes. It can kill a person. Or make you wish you were dead. But the injuries can be permanent, disfiguring and... memorable to say the least.

Just have to be careful and share the planet wisely
I hope I never find out what a rattlesnake bite is like. Your advice is right on and followed Led Zeppelin!

Old 09-04-2022, 05:47 AM

6,205 posts, read 3,419,786 times
I have seen so many snakes in Arizona, it’s really common for me to see at least one on every hike I go on, sometimes up to 3 to 5. Also, I seen many around my house and neighborhood in the Exurbs of Phoenix, not everyday though.

All I can say is that you must be vigilant at all times, and don’t wear headphones or earbuds when walking or hiking, you need to be able to hear the rattle.

As long as you are aware of your surroundings, it will be safe for you and safe for the snake so that both of you can continue on with your day.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I have seen so many snakes in Arizona, it’s really common for me to see at least one on every hike I go on, sometimes up to 3 to 5. Also, I seen many around my house and neighborhood in the Exurbs of Phoenix, not everyday though.

All I can say is that you must be vigilant at all times, and don’t wear headphones or earbuds when walking or hiking, you need to be able to hear the rattle.

As long as you are aware of your surroundings, it will be safe for you and safe for the snake so that both of you can continue on with your day.

I really do not do "hiking" per se. I walk around my neighborhood and a few trails in some of our parks. Even in this setting, one has to be vigilant. I have trained my wife not to go on the back patio without scoping it out first. Snakes do not hunt people, in fact, I am sure they would be happy to never see a human. It is up to us to see and avoid them if at all possible. Your advice is exactly correct WK91, and people would be wise to follow it!

Old 09-04-2022, 02:22 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,244,635 times
Quote:
I hope I never find out what a rattlesnake bite is like. Your advice is right on and followed Led Zeppelin!
Google up some pictures of old wounds. They're horrible and disfiguring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: