Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM

497 posts, read 968,715 times

Advertisements

We were hiking on the Mountain to Sea Trail today (5/11/14) between Oxcreek Road and Craven Gap and came across a large (4.5') fat black Timber Rattlesnake, laying in the trail, sunning itself. Threw a few sticks, but refused to move. Some people behind us were letting their black lab run loose. We waited for the dog to run up to us, grabbed its leash and waited for them. They didn't let him run free after that. This is the first Timber Rattler I've seen on the MST/BRP, but it is the perfect habitat. I posted a poor I-Phone picture on the Photo section, but you can see the snake. This is the first time I left my Canon S95 at home, but not again. Many lovely wild flowers out today also. I would rather meet a black bear any day, than to step on that fellow. I don't believe in snake handling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,227 times
Ha. I was just saying how in all my years hiking in WNC I've yet to see one in the wild. Use to choose that section of trail to do tough trail runs too. Crazy! You were awesome for stopping the pooch! If the owners didn't thank you a ton they are dumb.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:07 PM

It was a special experience to see that snake in its natural habitat. It was a prime specimen. Finding out more about them on the Web, I was surprised to learn that they can be in a wide range of colors. We also have a picture of a small green garter snake that was in that exact place on the way out. No evidence, but maybe it fell victim to the rattler. We caught those people's dog running up and down the trail several times. That dog would have surely stuck its face down to that snake. I've hiked a lot in VA and NC and never saw a Timber Rattler before. Hopefully, it didn't bite anyone or any dog and that no one killed it.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,387 times
They are common in this area. We have seen several on our property over the years so we keep our eyes open. Copperheads around too. They come with the territory!

Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM

306 posts, read 758,038 times
It's one reason I enjoy winter hiking the best!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:07 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
Cool pic, and good job on corralling the dog...
Have seen a few up here, in our 'yard' and while wandering around our mtn, though none that big.

Even the small models are very aggressive/defensive if one peers in closely.

We have a few black racers around and some of the lit suggests they keep the timbers 'away', but all snakes are good creatures and exc mouser/critter getters, imo.
GL, mD

Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM

What I regret about that encounter is I didn't have the right camera (zoom lens) to get a full frame of the snake. He/she was impressive as it looked us over, but it never coiled, which is a prerequisite before striking. That area is close to the Rattle Snake Lodge Trail, where there was a bounty of $5 per rattle snake. Apparently, enough survived. Timber rattlers are extinct in most New England states. I also read that the state with the most annual snake bites, not indicated whether venomous, is North Carolina. My wife decided not to wear shorts when hiking anymore. I hope we get to see another one.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM

I've gotten into researching more about Timber Rattlers and venomous snakes in general. I was totally wrong to state that a snake has to coil before striking. That is an old myth. After further review, a Timber Rattlesnake can strike from any position, even if stretched out. However, their greatest striking distance, about one-half of their length, occurs when they are coiled. There's a lot about these snakes on the web, as well as some nasty experiences from people bitten. Basically, be observant of your surroundings and watch where you step and put your hands.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
My daughter and I just ran into one of those little darlings on a trail in the Daniel Boone National Forest in eastern Kentucky. She was ahead of me, and all of a sudden she stopped dead in her tracks and there he was, in the middle of the trail, all coiled up, rattling, and feinting with his head, which we later read means that he more than likely meant to strike if he had the chance.

We are rookie hikers so we basically freaked out as quietly as possible under the circumstances and jogged a wide arc through the woods to the left of the trail until we were well around him. Seeing something like that really makes you think twice about what dangers can lurk when hiking in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina