Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 04:43 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,864,100 times

Advertisements

FYI, you may wonder why I write a version of what I say on my videos. This is because not everyone speaks English, and I have viewers from around the world. For those folks who do not speak English, I write this text so they can go to Google and translate in to their native language. I started doing this because I have watched videos that were in a foreign language and did not have much of a text description. Sure, you can pretty much get what is going on from watching, but it would be nice to understand any details or nuances.

We start with an unfortunate mule deer doe who has some cholla (pronounced "choya") stuck to her nose and lower lip. I know it is painful because I have had cholla stuck to myself!

Next we have a small squadron of javelina visiting. The proper name for a javelina is a Collared Peccary. These little creatures migrated north from South America, and no, they are not rodents as some people believe.

Now we have a couple of rabbits. Usually, rabbits do not garner much interest, but I included this segment of video because they were hopping around quite a bit.

I really hate to see an injured animal, but this coyote definitely has something wrong with it's right fore paw. I certainly hope it is something that will heal.

There was a dove perched on my camera and you can see the tail feathers. It turned around and flew to the water blow. I show the short flight in slo-mo because I think it is really beautiful. Did you know that most birds drink by scooping water in their bill and tilting their head back? Doves and pigeons are built differently and can drink as if from a straw with no need to tilt the head back.

Next, another squadron (yes, that is the correct name for a group of javelina, I know because I looked it up on the internet ;-) of javelina with a little baby included. Any baby animal is pretty cute, but baby javelina hold a special place in my heart!

Now you will see a very impressive mule deer buck, first at night, then on two consecutive days. What a rack!!!

Next, we have a roadrunner check out the water bowl. Did you know that a roadrunner is a zygodactyl? This means that it has two front toes and two back toes. These guys will hunt and eat lizards, snakes (yes, even rattlesnakes) baby quail, other small birds and even mice or pack rats. The roadrunner hunts snakes by using their wing to bait the snake in to striking, then they will grab the snake behind the head and whip slam it to death, but before any of that happens, they will wear the snake out with repeated baiting. Apparently, there are not many places in the wing where a snake bite could injure or kill a roadrunner.

Next, we have two coyote passing through at night. The one closest to the camera appears to see something, but the something is, is just off the camera. I would be nice to know!

Now a lone coyote cruises through the area. It is just amazing how much wildlife is so close to our home!!!

We have another visit from squadron of javelina with another baby. Could it be the same one as before? It is possible, but I have no way to tell. In fact, I cannot tell a male from a female unless a baby is nursing! Either way, it does not matter to me, I am always happy to see them.

Lastly, we have a mule deer doe cross the screen while the buck takes a long drink. These deer are just gorgeous, and I really enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for watching, I hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_7P6MVZ6s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson