Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times

Advertisements

Several of us are planning a trip out west in December that includes Tucson and Santa Fe (we're coming from Louisiana). My question: what is the best way to get from Tucson to Santa Fe ? Though Google Maps tells me to take I-10 to I-25 in Las Cruces and take I-25 to Santa Fe, I see that I-10 to Phoenix/I-17 to Flagstaff/I-40 to Albuquerque is an option, as is AZ 77 from Tucson/Oro Valley to Holbrook. Though AZ 77 appears to be the more direct route, I don't know the terrain, availability of gas, speed traps, etc. Does anyone have a perspective on which of those three routes would be best ? We thought it'd be fun to see the Painted Desert on the way to Santa Fe, which is why we're looking at the AZ 77/I-17 routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Several of us are planning a trip out west in December that includes Tucson and Santa Fe (we're coming from Louisiana). My question: what is the best way to get from Tucson to Santa Fe ? Though Google Maps tells me to take I-10 to I-25 in Las Cruces and take I-25 to Santa Fe, I see that I-10 to Phoenix/I-17 to Flagstaff/I-40 to Albuquerque is an option, as is AZ 77 from Tucson/Oro Valley to Holbrook. Though AZ 77 appears to be the more direct route, I don't know the terrain, availability of gas, speed traps, etc. Does anyone have a perspective on which of those three routes would be best ? We thought it'd be fun to see the Painted Desert on the way to Santa Fe, which is why we're looking at the AZ 77/I-17 routes.
Not the fastest, BRMan, but he most scenic and interesting would be AZ 77 to 60 and then East to I-25 North.

Probably the most direct as well as most boring would be I-10 East to I-25 North.

Good Luck

Old 11-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Not the fastest, BRMan, but he most scenic and interesting would be AZ 77 to 60 and then East to I-25 North.

Probably the most direct as well as most boring would be I-10 East to I-25 North.

Good Luck
Thanks - are there lots of stop light towns on AZ 77 ? Or hairpin curves around mountains ? Because AZ 77 DOES appear to be the shortest, mileage-wise. I just didn't know if the shorter distance meant I'd be traveling an average speed of 30 mph through mountains or stop light towns.

Last edited by BRMan; 11-24-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Added a sentence

Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,565 times
That would be the most scenic, but the I-10 to I-25 route would encounter the least severe weather, IF WE GET ANY. As long as the forecast is clear I would suggest AZ 77 to Holbrook.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
BRMan, I've done the drive from Albuq to Tucson, and the drive through Silver City is well worth it. If you take the southern route, at Lordsburg you drive through Silver City and then east to I-25. It takes you theough some awesome mountain scenery. The views from SC to Lordsburg were incredible, but you may not get the same effect when driving northeast, with the rising terrain.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
BRMan, I've done the drive from Albuq to Tucson, and the drive through Silver City is well worth it. If you take the southern route, at Lordsburg you drive through Silver City and then east to I-25. It takes you theough some awesome mountain scenery. The views from SC to Lordsburg were incredible, but you may not get the same effect when driving northeast, with the rising terrain.
Is there a risk of snow/ice on the "back roads" ?

Also, too, we want to be able to see the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest on the way to Santa Fe. Which is why I-17 and AZ 77 were our preferred options. But I'll keep your suggestions in mind - thanks !

Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,319,539 times
It's also a very pretty drive following Bummer's route up to Hwy 60, then head west on 60 to I-25. The Daitl Mtns are beautiful. Or you could then head north out of Quemado and catch SR 117 through the Malpais and the Ice Caves into Grants.

Just depends on whether you want quick or scenic. Or for really scenic (and slow) take I-10 over to hwy 191. That Coronado Route has to be one of the most scenic hwy's in AZ.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
Quote:
Is there a risk of snow/ice on the "back roads" ?
Yes - if it's snowy or icy that road could be dangerous. I've heard that from someone who lived in Silver City, but never driven there in cold wx.

Sorry, don't know about the painted desert/petrified forest...

Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Thanks - are there lots of stop light towns on AZ 77 ? Or hairpin curves around mountains ? Because AZ 77 DOES appear to be the shortest, mileage-wise. I just didn't know if the shorter distance meant I'd be traveling an average speed of 30 mph through mountains or stop light towns.
As with any scenic route, BRMan . . .

There will be a few "slowdown areas" but nothing compared to what you would experience in your area. Lots of history and interesting points of interest. Personally, I feel anything would beat the super boring freeway routes of I-10 to I-25.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Boy, I don't recall what route I took to Santa Fe as it was many years ago, but I do remember it as the most boring drive in my entire life! On that note, OP, take the scenic-drive suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson