Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 AM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times

Advertisements

You guys, we're so lucky -- there's a million thrift stores in Tucson. Plus, it's a well-known fact that any city with a lot of retirees is the place to be for thrifting.

Before I ask for opinions, it might be worth noting that if you're somehow opposed to reusing or think thrift stores are bad things, you can click the 'back' button on your browser navigation and keep your negativity to yourself. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Alright.... now, any opinions on which is 'the best', which is the nicest, cheapest, most expensive? I'll probably go to all of them in due time anyways, but I'd love some ideas on where to start since there's so many to choose from.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 12:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
You guys, we're so lucky -- there's a million thrift stores in Tucson. Plus, it's a well-known fact that any city with a lot of retirees is the place to be for thrifting.

Before I ask for opinions, it might be worth noting that if you're somehow opposed to reusing or think thrift stores are bad things, you can click the 'back' button on your browser navigation and keep your negativity to yourself. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Alright.... now, any opinions on which is 'the best', which is the nicest, cheapest, most expensive? I'll probably go to all of them in due time anyways, but I'd love some ideas on where to start since there's so many to choose from.

Thanks!
Jill,JillboBill! You've been such a stranger! Any more, the Filly and I are more attracted to the yard sale scene which will hit as early as Friday, and go into Saturday. This will include certain estate sales, although we've become quite picky any more, and we won't hit all of those.

We will avoid the "professional-looking" yard sales conducted by the same residents just about every week! The heat has most of them starting earlier and ending somewhat earlier as well. Some are junky ones... and others are overpriced... but many are just perfect for sorting through and finding those nuggets! Sometimes we don't even stop, but just keep on rolling, depending on how they present themselves...

We also try to hit the big neighborhood yard sales or church rummages as often as they come about!

As far as thrift stores, we used to hit Savers on Broadway, across from the Park Place Mall, or Goodwill and Speedway Outlet (both on Speedway), or Twice as Nice on Broadway. There was Value Village, which we used to frequent on North 4th Ave, near downtown...

Let's see... some of the Salvation Army stores... Buffalo Exchange back before they got pricey... and then we discovered the Casa de Los Ninos thrift store off of west Speedway, only within the last few months! Not to mention the Golden Goose thrift store in Catalina, AZ (going north past Oro Valley... THAT is another excellent one!

But, you're right... there are even SO many other smaller non-profit ventures out there! Enjoy!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:30 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times
The Goodwill on Speedway -- holy carp, they categorize things by SIZE and everything has its own price label and it's all organized! The dressing rooms were clean, everything was organized and they accept some credit cards.

The world is ending, surely.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
The Goodwill on Speedway -- holy carp, they categorize things by SIZE and everything has its own price label and it's all organized! The dressing rooms were clean, everything was organized and they accept some credit cards.

The world is ending, surely.
Tucson doesn't believe in bustin' yer chops over here...

Old 07-19-2009, 02:50 PM

95 posts, read 307,348 times
I sure envy you guys in this department. Oahu thrift stores used to be happening but in the last while most have closed down. Not sure why, maybe because of high rents or Craigslist.

I LOVE thrift stores! Seems the things that I pay lots for tend to give me little/no satisfaction (I can't get no) and my most valued things are either free or very cheap.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post
I sure envy you guys in this department. Oahu thrift stores used to be happening but in the last while most have closed down. Not sure why, maybe because of high rents or Craigslist.

I LOVE thrift stores! Seems the things that I pay lots for tend to give me little/no satisfaction (I can't get no) and my most valued things are either free or very cheap.
Hear, HEAR!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
dintymoore, even the Maui swap meet moved to a smaller venue as it wasn't getting as many people. Tourism is way down, and there have been lots of layoffs, so people aren't buying. What about the swap meet at Aloha Stadium? We used to love going there. Here in Tucson, I really love the Goodwill Store on Speedway. I've found lots of great things for my grand girls (all six of them) and one grand son. Since 4 of them live in Hungary, they love getting American clothes and I always come away with more than I planned on buying.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 AM

95 posts, read 307,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
dintymoore, even the Maui swap meet moved to a smaller venue as it wasn't getting as many people. Tourism is way down, and there have been lots of layoffs, so people aren't buying. What about the swap meet at Aloha Stadium? We used to love going there. Here in Tucson, I really love the Goodwill Store on Speedway. I've found lots of great things for my grand girls (all six of them) and one grand son. Since 4 of them live in Hungary, they love getting American clothes and I always come away with more than I planned on buying.
Yes they still have the Aloha Tower swap meet, but I'm on the other side of the island . On my side Salvation Army, Savers and Goodwill have all closed their shops. They used to be part of my routine every week.

I still go to a Savers in Honolulu but it's way out of the way...

Here's what I hunt for:

I'm always on the lookout for expresso machines - I use them to make regular coffee and the $10 ones from Europe you get at thrift stores are much better than the crappy new ones at Walmart for $30 - 70.

A few years back I got a mid 70's Fender Precision bass for $125 (w/Fender case!) at Salvation Army - it would sell for around $1500 pretty easy.

I'm always on the lookout for any type of tube amplifiers as I love the sound of tubes. I got a working tube guitar amp at Salvation Army last year for $15!

My favorite steal is the $100 Hawaiian shirts you get at Savers for $5. I would never have paid $100 for a Hawaiian shirt in a million years but man is there a difference - they feel great! The best brand is Kahala if you can find them.
Funny but I can imagine they sell Hawaiian shirts in Tucson thrift stores!
Why not?
Aloha is everywhere!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore View Post
A few years back I got a mid 70's Fender Precision bass for $125 (w/Fender case!) at Salvation Army - it would sell for around $1500 pretty easy.
Such a DEAL... such a STEAL, McNeil! Hopefully, it was in decent condition! Precision Bass has such a great FEEL... such a classic look... and, is very simple, really... tone and volume... what else does a bassist need? The Fender Jazz Bass always seemed to have too many buttons, be too heavy, and overall, was a bit TOO showy! The Precision continues to be the very best... its difficult to get excited about all of them others out there.

Quote:
I'm always on the lookout for any type of tube amplifiers as I love the sound of tubes. I got a working tube guitar amp at Salvation Army last year for $15!
Ain't nuthin' like the slap of them speakers off a tube-type amp, eh?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I've had some good luck occasionally at Buffalo Exchange, Twice As Nice, and the Speedway Outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson