Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM

106 posts, read 364,498 times

Advertisements

When we are visiting Tucson, we would like to have cell service.

Since we do not live in the States, we have no U. S. cell phone plan, etc.

In Guadalajara, one buys a prepaid card, dials a company computer number, inputs a code number from the prepaid card when prompted and the computer system activates the time for your cell phone number. (Of course one can have a plan, we just have never bothered since the cell phone is an convenience, not a necessity.)

Many folks who come to visit GDL bring their cell phone with them, buy a SIM card for a hundred pesos, replace the SIM card in their phone with the local one. This gives them a local number while they are here. Usually the sales folk make the call to TELCEL for you to get the number activated. When the number is activated in the computer system, one can then add time to the number using the process for a prepaid time card, mentioned above.

Now the question. Can I buy a SIM card for my phone in Tucson, prepay time and have a local number while I am there for two week?

I have tried finding this information via Google, to no avail. T-mobile and Click want me to buy a new phone to get the prepaid time. I already have three cell phones that are relatively new, with features I will never use. It would be a waste of money to buy another phone.

Suggestions welcome.

Have a great day.
Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Have you checked CRICKET or BOOST, Joseph?

Cricket | Cell Phone Provider & Wireless Carrier | Official Site

No Contract Prepaid Cell Phones & Unlimited Plan | Boost Mobile | unwrongedâ„¢

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the input, Bummer. I have tried the Cricket site, but not Boost Mobile, yet.

I think I have found what I seek. I found it by searching on other City Data foria (fora?). On the Denver forum, I found a discussion of TracFone. I went to their site (TracFone), then to the list of stores in Tucson--K-Mart, WalMart, Target, Office Max, even 7-11.
Not sure about the SIM card, but in Denver there are phones preloaded with time that run below the $50 mark and one can buy time cards and reload the phone.

I am still reading their site, but this seems to be what I am seeking.

Anyone have experience with TracFone and its use? Input welcome.

Have great day.
Joseph

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,456 times
For a sim card, I've never heard of getting service the way you describe, but if there is a chance of it here it would be found at the independent stores that contract with the major carriers.

For example, some place like this: 2 B Wireless in Tucson,*AZ*|*3017 East Speedway Boulevard,*Tucson,*AZ

Old 07-22-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks, Chorizo.
TracFone does not seem to deal with the SIM cards, but they do have a cheap phone available and one can buy time on a card and then log it into the system for a prepaid phone to use for a short time while in an area.

I would think this to be a popular thing for a good number of 'snowbirds' in the Tucson area. That is probably why they are available in K-Mart, WalMart, Target and other big stores. The only negative reveiws I have found came from one woman in the East who was trying to use it as her only phone yet would not buy the yearly card. Her minutes were eaten up rapidly and she kept having to buy more cards for more minutes.

Since I am only interested in temporary service, this will probably work for me just fine. Perhaps this information and the TracFone link above will be of help to others. NOTE: This is not a commercial endorsement, so I do not think it is in inviolation of the forum rules. Just information.

Have a great day.
Joseph

Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,351,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joskel View Post
NOTE: This is not a commercial endorsement, so I do not think it is in inviolation of the forum rules. Just information.

Have a great day.
Joseph
We're on to you, Joseph... we know you're selling all kinds of stuff up here!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,781 times
There are a number of prepaid possibilties. In some cases, the phone is so cheap $20-30USD, you can buy them just for the SIM and toss the phone...but be sure it is a phone that comes with a SIM. Tracfone has both kinds.

You can go to Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens or similar stores and choose from several prepaid phones, some of which are cheap enough to toss away. It is much easier than gringos trying to buy a SIM or phone in Mexico. To buy a TelCel SIM, we must now go to a single central location, show a Passport and have a picture to sign up. That is very different than picking up a SIM at nearly any cell kiosk that we did as recent as last Christmas.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times
can't you get in trouble with your cell provider for swapping out your sim card? I remember reading somewhere once that the evil, meany Sprint would cancel your service if you messed with the sim card.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM

153 posts, read 522,350 times
Whatever you do, don't get T-Mobile, its horrid in Tucson.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM

291 posts, read 2,075,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
can't you get in trouble with your cell provider for swapping out your sim card? I remember reading somewhere once that the evil, meany Sprint would cancel your service if you messed with the sim card.
Sprint does not use SIM cards. There is no problem with swapping SIM cards. GSM carriers actually make it an easy way for you to buy a new phone and activate it on your own by swapping your SIM from old phone to new. However, the phone must either be unlocked or on the same network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson