Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

Is TIA actually within the city limits of Tucson, or does it lie just outside of city limits? I've often wondered why the city of Tucson didn't seem more involved in the growth of TIA. I heard rumors years ago (in the late 90's) that Southwest Airlines, even though they do not operate with hubs, had considered looking to move many of their departure points (currently in Phoenix) to Tucson from Phoenix. Obviously that never happened, but it makes me wonder just how many possible opportunities Tucson has had to grow in areas like this that went unnoticed by our sometimes incompetent city leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 04:12 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Is TIA actually within the city limits of Tucson, or does it lie just outside of city limits?
Good question, AZLiam.

I believe the Tucson City Limits conveniently swoop down to include TIA.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
the "board" that runs TIA appears to have made valiant efforts over the years to increase flights and passenger counts out of TIA.....occasionally, a new airline will appear at the airport, then disappear a few months or years later because the flight was not profitable

TIA will forever be overshadowed by Sky Harbor in Phoenix for convenient flights to popular destinations....it's just supply and demand....not profitable for an airline to fly to every major city from Tucson....and it often is much less hassle to drive to Sky Harbor to catch a plane than to drive to TIA for a flight - only to end up in Phoenix where you change to the plane the other Tucson drivers drove to Phx for.....

there are popular nonstop destinations from Tucson - Dallas, LA, Chicago, and Phoenix, but they are usually hubs for passengers going onto another city not served directly from Tucson

Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Sun Country is supposed to start service to Tucson in December I told my kids I would pay the extra to Tucson to avoid driving to Phoenix from Casa Grande...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Sun Country is supposed to start service to Tucson in December I told my kids I would pay the extra to Tucson to avoid driving to Phoenix from Casa Grande...
You may want to research the fare differential before making that offer, Granny.

If a connection is involved, not only does it add to the total travel time but the additional fare is usually substantial. Considering Casa Grande is about mid-way, very possibly not a good deal for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
You may want to research the fare differential before making that offer, Granny.

If a connection is involved, not only does it add to the total travel time but the additional fare is usually substantial. Considering Casa Grande is about mid-way, very possibly not a good deal for you.
I am keeping on eye on it....these were direct flights from Minneapolis...and were running about $20 more when I checked last, which was a while ago...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
The Colorado Springs Airport has the same love/hate relationship with Denver International Airport. They're about 90 minutes apart, and most times, you'll go through Denver from the Springs as the Springs isn't a hub, but Denver is. The only difference is when flying west. To go to Hawaii, you'll fly COS to either LAX or SFO, change planes, and go on to the islands.

When DH flies home to CO, he goes TUS-PHX-COS with a layover in PHX. No direct flights to COS.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
The airport is NOT in the city of Tucson. TIA is in unincorporated Pima County. The city is pushing to annex the airport and Raytheon, though.

Annexation of airport won't be easy task for city

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Tucson International Airport

The Tucson Airport Authority runs Tucson International Airport and Ryan Airfield.

It's my understanding that TAA turned down Southwest Airline's proposal of a mini-hub because, in order to make room for a second or expanded terminal, the airport would have to break or modify contracts with one or more existing users (Raytheon specifically, I believe). Southwest Airlines apparently is exploring the idea of turning Marana Regional Airport into a mini-hub.
Either Fedex or UPS (I forget which) also looked into the idea of setting up a regional hub at TIA, but was turned down for similar reasons. Rumor is that Evergreen (a company that stores aircraft) wants to break it's contract with Pinal Airpark, and if they do, a[n unspecified] freight airline wants to move in and make a regional hub there.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

Construction is supposed to start on the air traffic control tower at Marana Regional Airport early next year.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Is TIA actually within the city limits of Tucson, or does it lie just outside of city limits? I've often wondered why the city of Tucson didn't seem more involved in the growth of TIA. I heard rumors years ago (in the late 90's) that Southwest Airlines, even though they do not operate with hubs, had considered looking to move many of their departure points (currently in Phoenix) to Tucson from Phoenix. Obviously that never happened, but it makes me wonder just how many possible opportunities Tucson has had to grow in areas like this that went unnoticed by our sometimes incompetent city leaders.
Just wanted to add some emphasis.

Get out and vote out any incumbents you can on the next elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson