Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 AM

298 posts, read 948,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Can anyone tell me how the gardening is in the AZ desert with all that sunshine? I have heard that the roses can grow as big as your head out there. My wife is very into gardening here in the east. We have thousands (literally) of flowers in our yard. Hundreds of varieties and colors. I have heard that the ground is extremely hard to dig. Something about ancient sea beds is why the ground is so hard???? I understand that most new developments have HOA's which only allow certain things to be in the front yards. Are they restrictive towards flower beds as well? Do you have to have a backhoe come in and dig up the ground and replace it with soil. If you do add soil does the AZ sun bake away all the nutrients in the soil leaving you with caliche. My wife and I are trying to relocate to Tucson and would like to have a pool and some flower beds in our back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,641 times
Default Tucson Gardening?

We were just in Tucson last week and coming from North Carolina I was pleasantly surprised to see plants such as jasmine and camelias thriving! We looked at quite a few homes and some owners were very successful in creating nice flower gardens. I think the key must be proper soil preparation and placement, but it looks like it can be done successfully. I did see a lot of container gardening with drip irrigation.

BTW, one of my personal SW favorites is bougainvillea! The color is amazing!

While visiting Tombstone (south of Tucson) we stopped into see the "World's Largest Rose Tree". This Lady banks Rose was planted in 1885 and has grown agressively. My sister has a beautiful one on a trellis where she lives in Tucson and it looks like a great choice for the area.

Xeriscape Landscaping Plants For The Arizona Desert Environment, Pictures, Photos, And Information, Vines, Lady Bank's Rose, Rosa banksiae

There is also a link at the bottom of that page for AZ desert xeriscaping... working with drought tolerant plants is always a good idea!
If you want to skip to that it is:

Xeriscape Landscape Plants For The Arizona Desert Environment Pictures, Photos, And Information

Good Luck & Happy Gardening!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,324,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrinmass View Post
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how the gardening is in the AZ desert with all that sunshine? I have heard that the roses can grow as big as your head out there. My wife is very into gardening here in the east. We have thousands (literally) of flowers in our yard. Hundreds of varieties and colors. I have heard that the ground is extremely hard to dig. Something about ancient sea beds is why the ground is so hard???? I understand that most new developments have HOA's which only allow certain things to be in the front yards. Are they restrictive towards flower beds as well? Do you have to have a backhoe come in and dig up the ground and replace it with soil. If you do add soil does the AZ sun bake away all the nutrients in the soil leaving you with caliche. My wife and I are trying to relocate to Tucson and would like to have a pool and some flower beds in our back yard.
You are in for a treat. You'll be able to grow a whole lot of semi-tropical plants you wouldn't dream of growing in Massachusetts - the flowers already mentioned - plus things like orange and lemon trees. It will be different from what you are used to, and some of your cold weather favorites just won't make it there, but as I said, there will be a whole new range of alternate plants to choose from. It'll be a whole new world as far as gardening goes.

http://www.gardeninginarizona.com/

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/azgard/

Ken

Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
BTW, one of my personal SW favorites is bougainvillea! The color is amazing!
He-he, the color IS amazing... However, have you tried sweeping after it every day?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Gardens in the Sonoran can be very successful. The soil and temperatures can be challenging if you're unfamiliar. The usual soil lacks nutrients for most garden variety plants and it needs a lot of compost, earth worm food, kelp meal and such to make it productive for non-desert stuff.
To enrich the soil to a depth ot 2 or 3 feet can be problematic because in most places at that depth you hit a very hard layer of clay which can really give you a sore back. If you want deep roots and bigger plants it's worth it.
In Tucson there is a store/organization called Native Seed/SEARCH. The store is awesome, it's on 4th Ave. by the University and I think it's moving somewhere on Campbell soon. It's a seed store of all native american and hispanic plant varieties domesticated in the Sonoran Desert. It was founded by botanist Gary Paul Nabhan who's been traveling all over Arizona and Sonora for the last thirty years collecting the seeds of plants adapted for here. It's really helpful because you'll go to Home Depot and buy some seeds of some variety from back east and they'll die in the summer and everyone will tell you nothing grows in the desert, and these native varieties will really thrive.
Anyways, good luck. Hope you make it to Tucson.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:56 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,847,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Gardens in the Sonoran can be very successful. The soil and temperatures can be challenging if you're unfamiliar. The usual soil lacks nutrients for most garden variety plants and it needs a lot of compost, earth worm food, kelp meal and such to make it productive for non-desert stuff.
To enrich the soil to a depth ot 2 or 3 feet can be problematic because in most places at that depth you hit a very hard layer of clay which can really give you a sore back. If you want deep roots and bigger plants it's worth it.
In Tucson there is a store/organization called Native Seed/SEARCH. The store is awesome, it's on 4th Ave. by the University and I think it's moving somewhere on Campbell soon. It's a seed store of all native american and hispanic plant varieties domesticated in the Sonoran Desert. It was founded by botanist Gary Paul Nabhan who's been traveling all over Arizona and Sonora for the last thirty years collecting the seeds of plants adapted for here. It's really helpful because you'll go to Home Depot and buy some seeds of some variety from back east and they'll die in the summer and everyone will tell you nothing grows in the desert, and these native varieties will really thrive.
Anyways, good luck. Hope you make it to Tucson.
Good info

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
I live in a condo, so do balcony gardening. I grow herbs, panises, crysthemums, and geraniums year round. I planted "topsy turvy" tomatoes (Beefsteak from Burpee's) last week, and peppers (green) from Home Depot this week. I can grow beans, peas (in the shade) herbs, flowers, broccoli, melons, squash, and cucumbers all in containers on my balcony. They won't feed an army, but they're perfect for my son and I. You'd be surprised what you can grow, and for so much longer than in the East, out here.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,249 times
We live in a subdivision on the SE side and the HOA is particular but many people have made beautiful flower beds both in the front and back. I have roses in full (evil hot in the summer) sun and they grow well. I put in a drip irrigation system both for my flowers and veggy garden.

Because we are renting I did not want to dig up the rocks in the backyard so I made a veggy garden in a used horse trough. I got free horse manure from someone in Corona de Tucson (10 min south of Tucson) and added some top soil filling it aobut 1/2 full. I have had 2 seasons (yrs) of veggies even through the winter (covered it with cheap plastic during Dec, Jan). I just add a small awning for the really hot summer months but have had fresh veggies for my family of 5.

I have lived in MA and other cold climates so I know what you are use to up there and the growing here is not hard. Mostly you need to add a little loomy soil if planting into the AZ dirt and LOTS of water but use drip irrigation for best effect/conservation/cost. Plants tend to dry out more in containers but they are manageable if you use a drip system. Drip systems cost less then $40 at Walmart, thats including hoses, drip/sprinklers, regulator and even a decent electronic timer.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM

298 posts, read 948,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinanm View Post
We live in a subdivision on the SE side and the HOA is particular but many people have made beautiful flower beds both in the front and back. I have roses in full (evil hot in the summer) sun and they grow well. I put in a drip irrigation system both for my flowers and veggy garden.

Because we are renting I did not want to dig up the rocks in the backyard so I made a veggy garden in a used horse trough. I got free horse manure from someone in Corona de Tucson (10 min south of Tucson) and added some top soil filling it aobut 1/2 full. I have had 2 seasons (yrs) of veggies even through the winter (covered it with cheap plastic during Dec, Jan). I just add a small awning for the really hot summer months but have had fresh veggies for my family of 5.

I have lived in MA and other cold climates so I know what you are use to up there and the growing here is not hard. Mostly you need to add a little loomy soil if planting into the AZ dirt and LOTS of water but use drip irrigation for best effect/conservation/cost. Plants tend to dry out more in containers but they are manageable if you use a drip system. Drip systems cost less then $40 at Walmart, thats including hoses, drip/sprinklers, regulator and even a decent electronic timer.

Good info Sabinanm. Thanks very much. Anyone grow any citrus trees? How much room do they take up in the yard? Not sure how big they get. Do they bear a lot of fruit? Do you have to wait years for fruit or do they bear fruit quickly?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
I had a veggie garden in Tucson 2 years ago. First you have to dig all of the rocks out of the soil. Then do the mulch thing. After a couple of weeks, dig holes and put 2/3 peat moss and 1/3 earth in the hole. Then you can plant your seedlings from the Jiffy pellets (I like to take the mesh off the Jiffy pellet for better root growth.) I left the hole a bit deep, so the water could puddle and the water could slowly seep deep into the earth so the roots could go deep as well. This way in the heat of mid summer, the roots would reach down into cool moist earth. I also had to use wooden planks to make reservoirs so the water would stay where I put it. Water and Miracle Grow after that and I had huge veggies. Cantaloupes, cucumbers, 3 kinds of tomatoes, corn, broccoli, carrots, green beans, cabbage...etc. it was amazing. Because there are no worms in the earth here, I'd have to use that tool, looks like a three pronged thing to move the earth around. It was one of the most amazing things i ever did. Just remember, it takes a LOT of water...I was putting at least 200 gallons a day on the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson