Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 AM

12 posts, read 45,136 times

Advertisements

I think the park mentioned is Woodward park. One of the most beautiful parks I have ever seen.

Imagasser, so sorry that you are not happy here. I am very happy that we decided to move back and raise our children here.

I personally love NE Oklahoma. It is beautiful, lots of lakes and close to three other states that also have their fare share to offer.

As for things for kids to do. We have a Water park in Tulsa. I have a 6 and 9 year old at home. We live in BA and we have some great new small water parks here in the city, so we don't really have to go into Tulsa to the bigger Water park. I am sure when they want to do the bigger slides we will be going there more often!

Our library system always has something going on.

I am not much of a zoo person, but my friends love to take their kids there. The zoo has a big blow out for Halloween and you can take your kids there to Trick or Treat. We went last year and the kids had a blast. It was weird being there at night, but really a lot of fun.

There is a world renown Azalea Festival in Muskogee (about 30 min. from BA) every Spring at Honor Heights Park. They also have an amazing Christmas Light display to drive through. We take the kids every year and it never gets old.

If you are interested in Education TCC has a summer program called Kids College. It is an awesome program. It isn't cheap, but it is amazing. You can choose one course or an entire program. Very hands on for the children. There are also a couple of camps here in Ba during the summer. One is Inventors Camp, I don't recall the other. I bet the other communities have them as well.

Our local Mall has a club that kids can join for $5.00 and they have activities all year long. My children love it. The last one was about cooking. They got their own little baking kit. A muffin pan that makes 12 muffins (non-stick!), measuring spoons, measuring cups, whisk, cookie cutters and a few other things. They painted a potholder and a little apron while there. They give away lots of freebies during the activities. Movies, CD's etc...

Our movie theaters have a summer program. I don't care for the BA theater (old), but I take them to the bigger and newer one at 101st and Memorial. The movies are a group of 10 through the summer and they are 2.00 a movie. You buy the 10 movie pass and they run Mon.-Thur. They are usually last year movies, but the kids don't care they just love going!

The fair comes every fall and there are a ton of rides, food, and entertainment. With smaller kids I take them during the day because it can get kind of wild at night with all the teens and young adults. DH and I sneak a day just for us to look at all the booths and eat all the foods that is bad for us!

Tulsa Performing Arts Center is amazing. They get first run shows all the time. Go Diego Go, Live is here this month. If you are familiar with Dora the Explorer then Diego is the newer show featuring her cousin Diego.

There is a lot more, but my brain is tired and I am drawing a blank for now! As I remember I will try to post info for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Sendee, that's it!!! Thank you. I was having brain freeze that day and when I posted Monroe, I didn't think it was right but it sounded familiar. That's because it's one of the parks in the town I live in.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagasser View Post
Why would you want to move your family to Tulsa? Our schools are terrible, our downtown is dead and we have had no new businesses come to our city in a long time. This place is not kid friendly. There is not much for them to do here that is healthy. Jenks schools are decent, but unless your children are athletic "studs", there is not much chance they will be able to participate in sports. Broken Arrow schools are not as good as Jenks, but they will suffer the same chances with sports as in Jenks.
I would think twice before moving if you are happy where you are.
Perhaps you can swap houses with these folks and move to Florida!

Our schools are not terrible. There's room for improvement - as with any metro area. Downtown isn't exactly "vibrant" but I live downtown (Brady Heights) and I can assure you there things going on down here. Google & Coke both just announced plans recently to establish locations in the Tulsa area. There's a long for kids to do.... RiverParks alone is enough for me!! Tulsa is a friendly, affordable place to live.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,102 times
Is RiverParks the same as Central Park?

Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Is RiverParks the same as Central Park?
The River Parks are a several mile path along the Arkansas River from just South of downtown that go all the way into South Tulsa. Central Park is another park altogether. I used to live on 41st street at the River Parks in a rental home and loved that area.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Where exactly is Central Park?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Central Park is just East of downtown Tulsa. It's bounded on the East by South Peoria Avenue, on the North by E 6th Street, and on the South by East 8th Street. It covers about 5 blocks. It's right off highway 75, also called Cherokee Expressway.

Go to Google Maps and type in S Peoria Ave & E 6th St S, Tulsa, OK 74120 and it will come up. It's easiest if you just copy what I underlined and then paste it into google maps.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Central Park is just East of downtown Tulsa. It's bounded on the East by South Peoria Avenue, on the North by E 6th Street, and on the South by East 8th Street. It covers about 5 blocks. It's right off highway 75, also called Cherokee Expressway.

Go to Google Maps and type in S Peoria Ave & E 6th St S, Tulsa, OK 74120 and it will come up. It's easiest if you just copy what I underlined and then paste it into google maps.
Is is a safe place to play and visit?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Is is a safe place to play and visit?
Yes, the area around Central Park is very safe. Lots of new developments going on there with lofts and such.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,517,700 times
If you are coming from Florida, don't sell your boat! Did you know Oklahoma has more miles of shoreline than any other state? Especially NE Oklahoma, water sports and weekend lake living is how to spend your summers in Oklahoma! Our Monday-Friday residence is in Owasso, but every weekend we rough it at our lake house on Grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa