Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,292 times

Advertisements

By the way, the neighborhoods immediately next to TU are not too great, except for the Florence Park and Renaissance districts which are located between 11th and 21st, and between Lewis and Harvard. From there South, everything is respectably nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
By the way, the neighborhoods immediately next to TU are not too great, except for the Florence Park and Renaissance districts which are located between 11th and 21st, and between Lewis and Harvard. From there South, everything is respectably nice.
Yes just to the West of TU is Kendall-Whittier and I would not suggest moving there. Ten to 15 years ago it was really on its knees but now it is kind of coming up but still has a long way to go. Just north of TU is I-244 and it creates a barrier between TU and North Tulsa which is another blighted area.

But a little more South and West of Florence Park and Renaissance is Midtown Tulsa. Probably the nicest urban area in Oklahoma. But Florence Park and Renaissance are within walking distance of TU and easy access to MTA Buses and the freeway system.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:01 AM

28 posts, read 90,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousInFlorida View Post

Another question:
What is the public transportation like in Tulsa?
the only transportations we have is taxi (like a car service) and bus, the bus is ok, it's very unreliable, they're trying but since tulsa is so spread out, if you have to be at work at 8 am you're better off leaving at 5 am to get to your destination. taxi is reliable but they won't have the cost until you get to your destination so be prepared to pay a lot.

be careful on the bus though, it's safe as long as you appear you want to be left alone.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

174 posts, read 450,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swttownguy View Post
the only transportations we have is taxi (like a car service) and bus, the bus is ok, it's very unreliable, they're trying but since tulsa is so spread out, if you have to be at work at 8 am you're better off leaving at 5 am to get to your destination. taxi is reliable but they won't have the cost until you get to your destination so be prepared to pay a lot.

be careful on the bus though, it's safe as long as you appear you want to be left alone.
There was a thread on this board, not too long ago, on Tulsa Transit. I think someone who works for them follows this message board as well. Anyway, they have a great website where you can get all their information.

I can't speak to their reliability. When I was looking at it though it seemed posible to commute from say, Broken Arrow, to Tulsa everyday. Service is kind of limited but is regular during the morning and evening commute times. What intrigued me is the possibility of getting by on one car. Either you or your wife could drop the other one off and then use the car to get to work. The cost of the bus was very reasonable.

Maybe someone who has used the service, like the poster above, can chime in and give their opinion of the service.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swttownguy View Post

My roommate works at the airport and takes the bus from time to time. I just ask him and he said he has never had reliably problems. When I worked in South Tulsa one of my coworkers took the bus EVERY DAY. He had no car. He was terrified to drive, he had a minor wreck when he was 16 and never drove again. Plus he grew up in Chicago where he was used to riding the bus. He was on time everyday. I take the bus downtown from time to time and I have not had problems with reliability. And I have never felt unsafe on the bus.

I have never heard it taking 3 hours to get to work taking the bus. An average person can walk 11 miles in 3 hours. You could walk from downtown Owasso to downtown Tulsa in 3 hours.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
I lived in Tulsa for a year before moving back to Spain and I enjoyed my time there. I want to go back but with the job market situation....anyway, good luck with your move.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 AM

102 posts, read 179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeFromMadrid View Post
I lived in Tulsa for a year before moving back to Spain and I enjoyed my time there. I want to go back but with the job market situation....anyway, good luck with your move.
Lol - Spain's unemployment has exceeded 20 percent while Tulsa lingers somewhere between 7 and 8 percent.

I would say you were better off staying in Tulsa.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Turner Park just east of TU is a nice neighborhood, and the neighborhood just north of campus and south of I-244 is decent. Renaissance is south of TU and is basically an extension of Florence Park to the south, which is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Tulsa. The only difference is there are more rental homes in Renaissance due to it being next to TU. The western edge of this neighborhood (west of Delaware) is a little more rundown than the parts closer to TU. You really can't go wrong in that area, the crime rate is low and you are close to both TU and the rest of midtown to the west and south, plus downtown is only 3 miles to the west. There is also a grocery store and Walgreen's near the neighborhood at 15th & Lewis.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,098 times
boring city

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,477 times
can anyone provide any information on schools in Tulsa? if I decide to move I will be moving from Georgia, so my standards are not too high, but I would like to see some improvement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa