Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:15 AM

288 posts, read 918,669 times

Advertisements

I finally got the kind of job I thought I'd never find....a nanny job. The little boy is five months old. I think that it is extremely important to have lots of new experiences and things to see at any age, but I'm a bit stumped as to where to go and what to do here as I'm not really all that familiar with Tulsa. I'll be reading to him, of course, but I think he's a bit young to appreciate the library. When the weather is nice, there is the whole going to the park to walk around and see the ducks, slide on the slide together, swing on the swing together...but, let's face it. It's winter. I don't have high hopes for lots of nice weather.

Although the family's home is very nice, I certainly don't want to just sit in there playing with him every day all day long...that would be boring in the long run for both of us. He needs exposure to all the wonderful things in life--but where do I go for that at this time of year? I officially start in January.

Are there any museums that are not child-friendly? And, what museums would have the most interesting things for a five-month old to look at? It's been so long since I took my Child Psych. class that I just don't remember at what ages they are aware of what thigns. Although I hate the mall because I don't like to buy things (I try to be as possession-less as possible), I think that might be a good place to take him to walk around (during the yucky weather days) so that he has lots to look at AND listen to (people talking, laughing, etc...of course I'd avoid the horrid loud music that a lot of the clothing stores like to deafen people with).

Finally, does anyone know of any playgroups that meet somewhere other than the homes? Since I wouldn't be able to take a turn hosting a playgroup (NOT comfortable with asking permission for something like that or doing something like that), I'd need to be able to meet others in some public place. Are there playgroups or does everyone just put their children into daycares?

Appreciate any advice, suggestions, wisdom. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Hmm. Five months old is kind of restrictive. Kids at that age are very visual so I would try the Philbrook or Gilcrease museums to start off. You might want to google "Tulsa Playgroups" although I think most of those are for older children. At 5 months, I wouldn't worry about what he/she sees in a museum; just something with color - infants are drawn to that. Good luck! You sound like you'll make an excellent Nanny.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,762,416 times
Check out the Oklahoma Aquarium...Kinda pricey but it really is something to see. Lots of colorful corals reefs/sharks/fish ect.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,469,838 times
Congratulations on getting your job. Synopsis and HappyTown are hard acts to follow, but I'd like to suggest the zoo. When we were there, it was kind of the off-season so it wasn't too exciting, but if you give it a few months time, I think he'd enjoy it immensely.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM

633 posts, read 2,543,010 times
speaking of animals, maybe to a park where he can feed the ducks? Woodward Park, etc? Help me out guys, can't remember the names of the parks that you can do this at.

if he likes to play ball, maybe get him involved in tee ball?

check out the park and rec centers, they might have fingerpainting classes, organized sports for little ones, stuff like that. At that age, they find appreciation in the simplest of things that we as grownups tend to forget about.

Kites at the park, chasing leaves in the wind, skating, riding a bike, etc.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,999,553 times
5 months old? By and large, they like sliding, climbing swinging, and running. City parks in good weather, McDonalds/Burger King/Carls Jr in bad weather. The thing is, if you go to those places you will meet LOTS of other women/nanny's/mom's that are doing the same thing. Reading days at the library are also good. When I was a daddy with young kids, going to a library, letting them chose what they want to read, then going home and reading it to them can be a lot of fun and good for both of you.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,628,393 times
At five months you would have to have an extremely good car seat in your car, or drive your employer's car to really go anywhere.

I think just walking around the neighborhood in a stroller every day is a good thing to do. My grandson was fascinated with the manhole covers, bricks, and every flower. When I babysat him, we would bundle up and go out in all but the worst weather. Of course, I believe that breathing cold air is good for you as long as you have a hat, scarf, mittens, etc. You would have to check with the parents about their wishes.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 PM

288 posts, read 918,669 times
hahahahahahaha...I think that some people have 5 months and 5 years mixed up. He is not yet sitting up on his own, so running, playing catch, flying a kite, choosing a book, etc. are not really anything he is capable of at this point. ^_^

Car seat...yes, good point. THe parents have already said that they will give me a car seat to keep in my car. I don't even know if they have a stroller. They just got back from three months of international travel with him and moved to Tulsa right before the ice storm hit, so I think that they may still be shopping. If they don't have one, I'll ask them to get one because I want to take him outside as much as possible. Being in nature is very important, and I don't want to get worn out too quickly from carrying him and all the things babies need.

Restaurants as places to meet people with little ones is out as I'm vegan and the parents are veggie. Actually, the baby is vegan by default as he is only drinking his mother's milk at this point. ^_^ I'm thinking I might just go to stores that sell baby things and hang around pretending to window shop until I see someone who has a baby who looks around the same age and then move in on them. *grin*

Thankfully, my mother's friend (both German) is due to give birth at any moment and she recently met a German woman who has a five month old baby....the parents of the child I will be taking care of want him exposed to lots of languages, so I'm going to try to get a play group going with those women. Won't hurt me to brush up on my teeny tiny German skills anyway.

Ack...still have more to say but my time is up on this computer. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,628,393 times
The best time to teach different languages is when they are very young. My 3 year old grandson speaks both Russian and English. He knows who speaks Russian and who speaks English, and speaks to us accordingly.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,469,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The best time to teach different languages is when they are very young. My 3 year old grandson speaks both Russian and English. He knows who speaks Russian and who speaks English, and speaks to us accordingly.
Really? Do you have Russian ancestors? If so, I think we're related. Mine came from the Odessa area in the Ukraine and on the "Weather" forum, I've just recently learned that it's the warmest, most comfy place in Russia. Here all these years I thought they were in a super cold zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa