Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:41 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times

Advertisements

Good grief. So, which is it? Ultra conservative, moderate, or ultra liberal? I have seen every response here based on experience, so that should tell everyone something. Perspective....it's all about perspective. I am a native Californian and easily found conservative and moderate friends in San Diego County. Look, the divide is everywhere. People are people EVERYWHERE. OP, quit being so short sighted thinking that an area's political climate is going to make or break your experience. It's what YOU make it, not anyone else and whether or not they love or hate Trump/Clinton/Bernie, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
If you're liberal or even middle of the road I wouldn't move here, you and your family will be absolutely miserable. You will find way too many Rush Limbaugh and Shawn Hanity want to be's. People will think you're a big ole backwards thinking bible thumpers like them. Every business has their TVs tuned to Fox News, you can just see the stupidity in everyone's eyes.
OMFG, what an ignorant response. Seriously? Like it's the twilight zone and there are TVs in store front windows? Are there beehive hairdo's everywhere too?

Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
OMFG, what an ignorant response. Seriously? Like it's the twilight zone and there are TVs in store front windows? Are there beehive hairdo's everywhere too?
And TVs are in black and white, not color. Hairdos are what came before beehives.

Oklahoma should be promoted as a tourist attraction to witness the backwardness and so people can grab some popcorn and be entertained by the odd local news stories on TV and in the newspapers. Many controversies that come up in Oklahoma were settled in other states decades ago.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-28-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Oklacalifornian howest2008 At Your Service.....

1. First thing you do when you arrive in Tulsa Oklahoma is Google Tulsa Oklahoma hippies.

2. Tulsa oklahoma hippies will be found at head shops
Head shops are actually allowed in Oklahoma?

Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Head shops are actually allowed in Oklahoma?
When were they not allowed? Stillwater is a college town, doesn't it have at least one?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:19 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
When were they not allowed? Stillwater is a college town, doesn't it have at least one?
The state pretty much did away with head shops by outlawing a lot of the products they could sell. It's been a while ago that they did this.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The state pretty much did away with head shops by outlawing a lot of the products they could sell. It's been a while ago that they did this.
Did anyone tell Starship or Oz or any of the other headships in town about this?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim EE View Post
My husband just landed a job in Tulsa (his home town) and we will be relocating there soon. As a life long Californian I am quite freaked out with the idea of moving to this part of the country—particularly in this political climate. We are not religious and do not support the current political agenda. Will we find like minded people in Tulsa? Am I freaking out for no reason? (of course there are good people everywhere). But moving to Trump USA now? Where will I find a new community?? I am a hippy girl from Northern California who enjoys mountain biking, yoga, hiking and dancing to good music!
What you are worried about could be switched the other way, someone from Tulsa could be moving to CA and wondering about conservatives. Everyplace has a nitch for us, regardless. Yes, all of OK is very conservative, but you will find many people like you with similar views. As for religion, again, the climate is slightly Bible belt, but not like the deep south. You will find non believers and find those who believe but are not regular church goers. I think the secret is to not flaunt your views until you see how others believe. As for Trump USA, many living in all regions of our country are not Trump lovers.

Stop worrying and go with an open mind. BTW, you will not find any one community more or less political.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I am told that Tulsa is very conservative. I have a lot in common with you, hippie, Northern CA, There were two things I did after moving to Tahlequah. Unitarian Church, which Tulsa has a great one with three different services I understand. And then I joined a book group at the library. or join a democratic women's group. if you don't like groups, make friends and then leave.
Those are great suggestions. Yes, the Unitarian church is a start. There are always people of all backgrounds ans life styles in most cities. OP will be just fine, I am sure.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM

574 posts, read 382,329 times
Why sweat it? Do you want to only live among people that you agree with er something? Serious question !

SSeligman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa