Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,095 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I hope this finds you all doing well. I am currently living in the mountains of TN, but I have been here all my life. Having said that, I am a minority raising a minority son and we have been looking to relocate from TN to the mid-west. I have heard great things about Oklahoma however, I am just curious to know how people of color are treated.

We are looking in the Tulsa area for our relocation, but we are open to other parts of Oklahoma as well. I would prefer any place close to the mountains or large hills.

Any advice or opinions are very helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Don't dare be foolish enough to come live in Oklahoma, if you're poor. Republican legislators look so severely down upon poor Oklahomans that food stamps have been cut next to nothing. They're also looking to make fewer poor people eligible for Medicaid. The waiting lists are long for other kinds of help from the state.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,095 times
Thank you for the heads-up. I am college educated and middle class, even if it's lower middle class. I will keep this mind.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
Tulsa is friendly, and pretty, a little hilly in areas, with pretty green hills located several miles to the east.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
This is your blessed day I am completely at your service it's Mr. howest2008 the Califhoman. If you are a African-American College Educated Women with good people skills Oklahoma would be like the run down " across the tracks side " of ( Heaven ) to you. Get a house or Apt on the west side of town near Turkey Mountain (or) the North Side of Town somewhere in Reservoir Hill... you should also look on South Peoria Street between 6th Street and Peoria and 31st Street and Peoria... African American lives across all sectors of the City of Tulsa Oklahoma , but another good place to look would be on the north side of Tulsa in Gilcrease Hills , which is near the world class Gilcrease Museum ... I am on my Android smartphone so I can't hyperlink you any more information or links....

Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
The Tulsa area has numerous lakes. If you like hills, living around Sands springs(suburb) is an option. Racism is not an issue here.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
There are race issues everywhere. Just watch the news. Sheesh.

However, I do not think Tulsa would be any worse than anywhere else.

Generally, Okies are a pretty friendly lot. Sure, there's some Confederate flag flyin' idiots (I count about 1-2 license plate covers here in OK City each week), but for the most part I do not think fear of racism should be a major factor if you are moving to Tulsa.

Sweltering humid Summers and icy Winters (although they're short)?...now that's something to consider.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM

27 posts, read 27,059 times
I probably can't offer the perspective you need since I'm a white male. I can only offer my observations, feel free to dismiss them if you feel they aren't helpful.

Tulsa is kind of a melting pot. I drive all over the metro area for my work and I meet plenty of Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians on daily basis all over town. I volunteered for Catholic Charities for awhile assisting refugees and we were assisting Syrians, Burmese, Russians, Iraqis, and others regularly, including helping them find housing and employment. I live in Broken Arrow, the largest suburb, and there are minorities at the school and from my outside observation, are generally treated well.

Of course there are some racist rednecks around here, I mean this is a state that leans Southern in a lot of things, not to mention the redness of its politics. And Tulsa sometimes gets a bad rap due to the race riot back in 1921. But again, just from my white male perspective, I think we have a pretty welcoming, diverse society here.

As far as geography goes, we have no mountains anywhere near here. There are some hilly parts of the area whereas other parts are completely flat. There are more hills generally west of the river - west Tulsa, Sand Springs, up north to Skiatook, etc. But then you're getting pretty far out from the main part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa