Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 9,717 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone can help my husband and I out. My husband lost his job in January due to the lack of work at his shop. We are from Michigan, which has the highest rate of unemployment. So his brother offered to allow him to move down to Tulsa, Oklahoma and stay with him while he looks for a job. I am in Michigan still and he is down there now. I am unable to move until he gets a stable full-time job. Unfortunately, my current employer is not located in Tulsa, otherwise, I would transfer. He is not having any luck so far. He has had many interviews and his resume is posted on many job search engines along with mine. I am also searching for jobs too. Our main reason for moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma is (1) the job market is better, and (2) in search for a career. Michigan does not have a lot to offer young adults. Both of us have experience in multiple industries. He is experienced in plumbing, flooring, HVAC, retail, maintenance, management, and quality inspection. I have experience in retail and clerical. I have an Associates degree in Human Resources Management and I am currently working on my Bachelors in Business Administration in Management. I have even called staffing companies in Tulsa to see if they will work with me to help me get a job. There answer is call them when I get down there. I have not seen my husband in three months. I really want to make it down there to be with him and to get started on our careers. Does anyone have any suggestion for my husband and I.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Too many things unanswered or addressed. Do you have children? What kind of job do you have? Do you own your own home or are you renting? Will you have to sell it before you move? What will you move south with? A uhaul? a moving company? or just some clothes (often worn furniture is better off being sold there and new bought when you arrive....saves moving expenses and gives you cash for living on if you run short).

Assuming you are a young couple with no children and, as a consequence, can move for the price of gas to get here, I would leave now. One thing about being married is the mutual support you can give each other. If your husband is competent as a plumber, hvac, or other construction trade, there are a lot of jobs available. Houses are sitting waiting on subcontractors to get to them, due, in large part to making the use of illegals an expensively fineable offense.

For both you and him, there are lots of call center jobs available. Using those as either a stepping stone to another position or as a career move is viable. I know that AT&T offers excellent benefits, including education reimbursement. Cox does the same thing and they are hiring both for their CS department and as field installers. My son works for Cox and is getting a $7800 tuition reimbursement. He has been there a couple of years and is making in the upper-mid teens per hour, based on 4 10 hour days per week with frequent 5th, 6th, and 7th day overtime available.

What I would do? I would move yesterday.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Too many things unanswered or addressed. Do you have children? What kind of job do you have? Do you own your own home or are you renting? Will you have to sell it before you move? What will you move south with? A uhaul? a moving company? or just some clothes (often worn furniture is better off being sold there and new bought when you arrive....saves moving expenses and gives you cash for living on if you run short).

We do not have any children yet. No house to sell. Just looking to begin a career and get out of Michigan's economy. What is holding me back is stability. I would like him to be full-time before coming down. We sold our second car before he left (it would have not made it down there) and his brother was suppose to help him get around. Well things took a bad turn and now his brother lost his job (the car was a company car) and so now my husband is stuck down there with no car. The good thing is that he lives downtown on the South side. He walks every where, but is trying to find a job within walking distances. I am trying to find a job myself so I can get down there with the car. I could take the risk and just go down there and hope that I find a job within a month. I don't know what I should do?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Dish Network is hiring at $12.50 an hour. At least that is what their sign says on the corner of 71st and Lewis. That will be on a bus route. If you and he were both working there, that would be $25 an hour or an annual income of $52,000. That does not include overtime. Getting into the job there would allow you to move laterally into HR or something else. Directv and Cox are offering similar opportunities and wages.

If you have a place to stay already, even temporarily, why not move before he is totally broke?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I think GPs advice is great, from a supportive standpoint and economically. If you're paying rent up there now, you'd save on the cost of rent as well. If both of you are working making only 12.50 per hour, that is a very survivable income in Tulsa, especially if Dish Network is on the bus route.

From my point of view (which ain't much!), I'd make the leap. Good luck to you and your husband!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you I will have to look into that.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,178 times
With your and your husband's background, have you looked at the schools in our area? This is a good time of year for openings.

[url=http://www.jenksps.org]Jenks Public Schools[/url] Jenks Public Schools (http://www.jenksps.org/index.cfm?id=184&deptID=1&cfid=11451297&cftoken=28 294139 - broken link)

[url]www.unionps.org[/url]
[url=http://www.unionps.org/index.cfm?id=289]Union Public Schools*-*Support Personnel[/url]

[url=http://www.ba.k12.ok.us/]Broken Arrow Public Schools- Broken Arrow, Oklahoma[/url]

[url=http://www.tulsaschools.org]Tulsa Public Schools[/url]
Job Openings (http://www.tulsaschools.org/district/employment/Connections/results1.asp - broken link)

[url=http://www.bixbyps.org]Bixby ISD 4 - OK - Home[/url]
[url=http://www.bixbyps.org/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=269&fileitem=1943&catf ilter=2]Bixby ISD 4 - OK - Employment Opportunities[/url]

Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Harp Electric Heating and AirConditioning has a billboard that says "Now Hiring"

Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 AM

266 posts, read 971,634 times
Um, you might try Tulsahelpwanted.com, I just saw a little ad for that now.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,517 times
Go to craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums employees advertise jobs on this site all the time too.

craigslist: tulsa classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa